Vote now! Send a MSG to VWOA to bring the Polo Bluemotion TDI here!

Would you place a deposit at a dealer for the Polo Bluemotion TDI, if available now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

993cc

Veteran Member
Ottawa ON, Canada; Paul Smith's, NY, USA; Amherst
TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon, Bought September 2009 with 60,000 Km on the clock. Died September 2013, at 142,000 km. in a collision with a moose. 2006 MklV BEW Jetta wagon Bought October 2013, 136,000 Km.
Since we now have a Jetta tdi wagon, which replaced our Focus wagon, as our "big" car, we will need a second smaller car to replace our Geo Metro when we come back to Canada full time. My dilemma has been that there aren't any smaller cars on the market that are more efficient than our "big" one.
I have been interested in Toyota's upcoming smaller Prius. The Polo Bluemotion would be a better possibility. What I REALLY want is a Fiat Panda Multijet.
Dream on.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
The European certified emissions of the Euro-spec "New Polo" 1.2 TDI are listed as 23 mg/km (0.023 g/km) CO; 148 mg/km (0.148 g/km) NOx; 163 mg/km (0.163 g/km) THC+NOx (implying that the HC emissions are 15 mg/km (0.015 g/km)); 0.25 mg/km (0.00025 g/km) PM.

Converting those certified emission values to grams/mile, it appears that all of the criteria emissions would meet or exceed T2B5 except NOx (as usual). Of course, the NEDC test cycle used in Europe is not identical to the FTP75 test cycle used in the U.S. and Canada, but the emission results should be relatively close.

The certified NOx emissions in the NEDC for the Euro-spec Polo 1.2 TDI are actually lower than the Euro-spec Jetta 2.0 CR TDI (167 mg/km for the Jetta; 148 mg/km for the Polo), so a NOx adsorption catalyst (NAC) should be sufficient to meet T2B5.

Based on the relative fuel consumption differences between the Euro-spec Jetta 2.0 TDI and the Euro-spec Polo 1.2 TDI and applying those relative differences to the official EPA fuel mileage values of the U.S.-spec Jetta TDI, a U.S.-spec Polo 1.2 TDI should get roughly 48 mpg city/60 mpg highway/53 mpg combined in the EPA five-cycle fuel economy test.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
4384mm is more than the new Fabia Combi, right?
Right. Mine is 4230 so this would be 15cm longer, which is a lot. Maybe too much...
The new Fabia I think is a tiny bit longer but it's not built on the Polo V platform (PQ25), but on the same PQ24 as the original Fabia. (I'm sure you knew that ;))

cjamescook

TDI
'79 Scirocco
I've looked at the Honda Fit and for running around town or putting my teenager on the road, the size is fine. I'd worry about it being a daily highway car, but think that the Polo would be better for that. If you go buy the VW's available here, the Polo will feel like a much more substantial car. I agree with Lightflyer1, let us have some choice on equipment. Bring a actual base model with the TDI, price it in the mid teens, and it will sell. Bring a loaded model and keep the price below 20, and both will sell.
I agree. I need to replace my car in the next year or sooner. If this was here, I would definately take it for a test drive. It merits serious consideration.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
Last month, I rented a "new' Polo 1.4 gasser from Avis in South Africa. It was solid, well-built, was not cramped for +/- 200 lb adults, handled well at 120-130 km/h on freeways, and had excellent human engineering. And as a gasser, it got 39mpg in mixed driving. I would buy one in the States in a heartbeat, even faster if it were a TDI.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I'd most like to see the auto shut off feature in any TDI that we get here. Highway mpg's are fine. Improving in-town MPG's will get better with the auto off feature. I would pay good money to get it to work on my current TDI. I wonder if any aftermarket vendors are listening. I know VWoA certainly isn't.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Thanks, German, for the correction. I thought it was the same size as the first generation Golf. If it's the same as the second, then more power to it. THAT AIN'T SMALL! This car would be a great commuter car.

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
I have driven a gas Polo numerous times in Mexico. It is a comfortable, driveable compact vehicle with a fair amount of usable space. A 70 mpg TDI version in the US would immediately leapfrog VW to the top of the list of efficient economy vehicles IMO.

MKIInut

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon Spice Red
We have been a VW family for 20+ years. Having a small economical fuel saver in the fleet would be great. It would easily replace the current daily driver which gets less gas mileage.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
A car like this would be a halo car, where it would put VW as number one in the eyes of the greenies. It would also be a good way to intro people to the topic of the incredibly frugal diesels Europe enjoys, but that we are denied. I think if the public were to become aware of the offering overseas, rather sharp questions might start to be asked about vehicles that could significantly lessen our dependence on foreign oil.

Just_Me

TDI
Passat, 1996, green
Hey if Honda can have Fits, Toyota with Yaris, Ford with Fiesta, Mazda with Mazda 2, and GM with Cruz, why not a Polo? Heck, it doesn't even have to be a Bluemotion. Just a 1.4 L 3 cylinder TDI with 90 hp is good enough. If it's good enough for a '96 Passat TDI (90 hp 1.9 L TDI), why not with Polo?

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Pole is to limited, I would not opt for the Blue Motion, I want a poweful diesel, but I do think the should offer it for those that do. Choice is good 1.6 ltr CR would be nice.

Last edited:

fordt

TDI
03 Golf, skid plate, lift kit with Bilsteins, now +250K
I'd rather have a Tiguan or something of that size, the wife is looking at trading in the 03 Golf, and she's tired of climbing up out of it! I wonder if anyone has tried to shoehorn a TDI of any year into a wrecked Tiguan?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I have thought about it many times. If VW won't import it, dammit, I would build it.

But alas, I can not afford a tig just to do a motor swap.

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
If you ship it ....

They will buy!

I bought my 2002 ( may it rest in peace ) precisely because at the time it got the best mileage bar none. The safety, longevity, and performance were also up there as well ( 5 lives saved due to VW Diesels !!! )

If I could have in 2009 gone out and bought a car with the exact same mileage as I was getting with my 2002, I would have bought it.

Anything north of 40 MPG mixed is great. Anything north of 50 MPG I would sell this Hyundai and buy in a minute.

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
As someone else said, I'll believe it when I see it. Still, that teaser is making me drool. I wonder if it can fit two car seats in the back....

What do you all think, could this be converted into a family car? Maybe put a roof-rack on it to attach one of those cargo bins? Think it has towing power for a small trailer? What would those things do to the MPG?

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
What do you all think, could this be converted into a family car? Maybe put a roof-rack on it to attach one of those cargo bins? Think it has towing power for a small trailer? What would those things do to the MPG?
It's about as large as a Mk3 Golf. If a MK3 Golf is "family car" enough for you, so is a Polo.

A Polo Bluemotion has only a 800kg tow rating, a Polo 1.6 TDI can tow 1200 kg.

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
I'm familiar with the MK4, but not the MK3 Golf. Is there much of a difference in interior space?

I also wonder if it is B100 capable, or if it will have the same technology that the current VWs have that preclude heavy biodiesel usage.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I'm planning on a new Golf next year, but I'd really like something smaller.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I wonder which 1.4 they'll bring in. Sounds like the NA, with the TSI maybe for the GTI, if that appears. I'd give the 1.4 gasser serious thought.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
There are several versions of N/A 1.4 in VW's stable. 8v / 16v, mpi / FSI, 75hp to 105hp.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
A 16 valve NA 1.4 would be fine. A turbo would be better, perhaps. If it posts similar MPG figures to the Golf TDI is less complex, and runs on less expensive fuel, it might be a nice option.

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GOLF GTI converted to GTD
Good observation!

I drove with two other people from France to Slovenia in an older (2001?) Polo a couple of weeks ago. I'm 6 feet tall, and there was enough room for me to ride comfortably in the back behind the passenger seat (I wouldn't want to ride behind where I put the seat in order to drive - but that's true in my Jetta Wagon, too!). No, it's not a spacious road-trip car for a family of five with three teenagers, but it felt like just the right size for a primarily city car. Unfortunately we had the little 1.4L gasser engine, not the TDI, so it wasn't exactly a highway champion - especially on Slovenian mountain passes amidst howling Bora winds - but it did well enough!
I think a major disincentive to adoption of smaller cars in the US is our urban parking system. We usually have demarcated spots, whereas in Europe it's common to squeeze in wherever there is space and then put a ticket on the dash. In the latter system, owning a small car offers *major* convenience when it comes to finding parking - I think if US cities switched to that system, we'd see a lot more people start buying small cars!