Volvo S90 2,5 TDi

SimonBillhult

TDI
Volvo S90 D5252T TDi / Volvo 244 D24T
Just wanna let everybody know that I'm new here and from Sweden so plz have patience with my spelling :rolleyes:

This may not be the most popular carmodel on this forum but I'll show it anyway for those who find it interesting ..

It's an Volvo 940 from the beginning, completely rebuilt into an Volvo S90. Bumpers are modified with V70R parts in the front and the back, 20 inch wheels, pretty much lowered, tinted windows, xenon convert. and much more ...

The original engine which is an "D24" 6-cyl 2.4 litre 122 HP has been replaced with an engine from 850/S70/V70 -96-01 140 HP "D5252T". I was very lucky to find the engine 'cause it had gone 0 miles when I bought it - now I've driven ~6000 km with it and It runs perfect.
It's pretty much stock for now except for chiptuning, bigger IC, plugged EGR, 3" exhaust and sportfilter.
The manufacture of the chip says it gives ~180 HP so with this plus the other things maybe I've got around 190 HP ..

I've got plans of tuning more seriously and it will happen during the winter, -09-10.

You can find more pictures on this Swedish website: http://www.garaget.org/?car=88943

And also pictures from the engine replacement:
http://www.garaget.org/mypage/gallery.php?user=SimonBillhult&cat=64381

I'm thinking of starting a project thread here to soon :cool:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
very nice, Simon!
it's very cool to see some one put that much energy into a project. you should be proud of your work.

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
tditom said:
very nice, Simon!
it's very cool to see some one put that much energy into a project. you should be proud of your work.
Agree about the work on your car, Simon, that and you still get terrific mileage!

My brother's a big Volvo guy, and he would do alot of things for a 2.4TDi XC-70...sadly, no Volvo diesels in Canada or America... :(

Skol!

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I've got an '98 S90. Its been a great car for me. Took it from about '83k miles up to 190k miles now with only minimal maintenance such as front suspension work, timing belt, brakes, etc. It's a bit of a tank but perfect for highway cruising and I've never felt safer in a car. But the 25 mpg highway mileage makes me really want to ditch it for a TDI. Plus I'd really like to get something with more cargo room as well.

I didn't even know Volvo sold cars with diesel engines in Europe. If I could get a diesel dropped in my car (and maybe get it looking half as nice as yours) I think I'd look into keeping mine. What kind of mileage do you get in you S90?

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Awesome

SimonBillhult said:
.....The original engine which is an "D24" 6-cyl 2.4 litre 122 HP has been replaced with an engine from 850/S70/V70 -96-01 140 HP "D5252T". I was very lucky to find the engine 'cause it had gone 0 miles when I bought it - now I've driven ~6000 km with it and It runs perfect.
It's pretty much stock for now except for chiptuning, bigger IC, plugged EGR, 3" exhaust and sportfilter.
The manufacture of the chip says it gives ~180 HP so with this plus the other things maybe I've got around 190 HP ..

I've got plans of tuning more seriously and it will happen during the winter, -09-10.

I'm thinking of starting a project thread here to soon :cool:
Awesome dd. My uncle used to have 760 D24 with VW 6-cyl 2.4L engine. Now, is the 5-cyl a VW Diesel engine, VW derived Volvo Diesel, or Volvo own designed Diesel engine? Do you think you could give us pictures of the LS & RS of the engine?

Thanks,

SimonBillhult

TDI
Volvo S90 D5252T TDi / Volvo 244 D24T
tditom said:
very nice, Simon!
Thanks

DnA Diesel said:
Agree about the work on your car, Simon, that and you still get terrific mileage!

My brother's a big Volvo guy, and he would do alot of things for a 2.4TDi XC-70...sadly, no Volvo diesels in Canada or America... :(

Skol!
Fun to hear :)

Is that so? I thought you guys had got several of those. Here you can see a Volvo TDi almost everyday .. Even the cops drives Volvo TDi :D http://www.nyhetswebben.se/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/080922totrodje-025.jpg Volvo XC70 II D5 185 HP -09. There have been a new D5 engine manufactured recently with 2x turbos 205 HP and ~480 NM.

//Simon

KITEWAGON said:
I've got an '98 S90. Its been a great car for me. Took it from about '83k miles up to 190k miles now with only minimal maintenance such as front suspension work, timing belt, brakes, etc. It's a bit of a tank but perfect for highway cruising and I've never felt safer in a car. But the 25 mpg highway mileage makes me really want to ditch it for a TDI. Plus I'd really like to get something with more cargo room as well.

I didn't even know Volvo sold cars with diesel engines in Europe. If I could get a diesel dropped in my car (and maybe get it looking half as nice as yours) I think I'd look into keeping mine. What kind of mileage do you get in you S90?
Yes, the Volvo S90 and Volvo 940 is truly a great car concidering the reliability, costs of spare parts, construction and so on .. many people drives Volvo 940 here.

Well, the Volvo S90 never got a diesel engine but the Volvo 940 did. My car is a Volvo 940 from the beginning, totally rebuilt into a 960 plus some other modifications .. But it's 100% possible to but a 940 Diesel engine into a Volvo 960. It's just that I don't know what cind of rules you got thinking of the registration when you change fuel, from gas to diesel.

The chassi of my car has gone 250 000 kilometres now and the engine 11 000 kilometres. There are many that have gone 500 000 kilometres and more.

//Simon

T_D_I_POWER said:
Awesome dd. My uncle used to have 760 D24 with VW 6-cyl 2.4L engine. Now, is the 5-cyl a VW Diesel engine, VW derived Volvo Diesel, or Volvo own designed Diesel engine? Do you think you could give us pictures of the LS & RS of the engine?

Thanks,
Thanks, it's a VW diesel engine and so is the D24. After that Volvo made there own Diesel engine which is -2002 called "D5" on 163 HP. My engine is called "2,5D" or D5252T in volvo terms. later on they made a more powerful D5 engine with 185 HP and now they have made as I wrote to Dna Diesel a D5 engine on 205 HP, and with just chiptuning you can get 240-250 HP.

Sorry, can you explain LS and RS?

//Simon

Last edited:

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
My wife loves that model Volvo. She would take that car in a minute. It looks great, really professional.