Volvo offering free 5/50k maintenance (and more warranty) for VW / Audi TDI owners

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
Since I have a Volvo on order (not yet completed the transaction), I got an email offering an "Exclusive Offer for You" from Volvo. It lists all the 2.0 TDI vehicles from VW and Audi as eligible.

"Complimentary Safe + Secure Coverage Plan is available for the lease or purchase of any 2016 or 2017 Volvo (excludes Polestar Vehicles) for eligible conquest customers that currently own or lease the vehicles included in the Volkswagen Emissions Recall. Complimentary Safe + Secure includes 5 year/50,000 mile warranty, whichever comes first, 5 year/50,000 mile scheduled maintenance, whichever comes first, 5 year/50,000 mile wear-and-tear coverage excluding tires, whichever comes first, and 5 year roadside assistance. Offer valid September 1, 2016 through January 2, 2017."

The standard warranty is 4 years/50k so this adds a year it appears (have not seen any small print), plus adds the maintenance and wear and tear. Can't complain.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Since I have a Volvo on order (not yet completed the transaction), I got an email offering an "Exclusive Offer for You" from Volvo. It lists all the 2.0 TDI vehicles from VW and Audi as eligible.
"Complimentary Safe + Secure Coverage Plan is available for the lease or purchase of any 2016 or 2017 Volvo (excludes Polestar Vehicles) for eligible conquest customers that currently own or lease the vehicles included in the Volkswagen Emissions Recall. Complimentary Safe + Secure includes 5 year/50,000 mile warranty, whichever comes first, 5 year/50,000 mile scheduled maintenance, whichever comes first, 5 year/50,000 mile wear-and-tear coverage excluding tires, whichever comes first, and 5 year roadside assistance. Offer valid September 1, 2016 through January 2, 2017."
The standard warranty is 4 years/50k so this adds a year it appears (have not seen any small print), plus adds the maintenance and wear and tear. Can't complain.
Peanuts really. I really like Volvo's. Along with Mazda they would be a alternate logical option for me if I do not stay with VW, but 1 extra year (maybe 500 to 750 value) is well short of the offers we will see to earn our business in Oct / Nov. Wish they would get the V40 or XC40 here soon.

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Interesting, I received a very similar mailer Friday, although mine has no reference to VW/Audi 2.0TDi vehicles or any other vehicles at all.....just Complimentary Safe + Secure Plan with purchase/lease of any new 2016/2017 Volvo....must present postcard to get offer.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I got the mailer yesterday. I've been a Volvo nut for a long time, but not looking at new cars for another couple years at least. Too bad Volvo doesn't sell their great diesels here. I had to chuckle when I saw that Volvo was jabbing at VW by saying they have a real "clean car".

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
I leased my V60 in August so was initially disappointed when I saw this new offer, but then realised that I got the previous "free premier package" offer, which is of more value to me.

Note that you always got free maintenance for 30k miles, they've extended it, thats all.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
With any Volvo we'd be interested in (a car comparable in size to the Passat, e.g., S90 or the projected V90), given their sticker prices the deal would have to be more attractive than this.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
With any Volvo we'd be interested in (a car comparable in size to the Passat, e.g., S90 or the projected V90), given their sticker prices the deal would have to be more attractive than this.
I am seriously looking at a CPO S60. Had one before for ten years and was pleased (except for cost of repairs). I see '14s and '15s with less than 20K miles for sale from $27 to $28. And they come with a 100K warranty.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
My family's other car is a 2012 S60 T5 FWD has been very reliable (AWD much more expensive) which we traded in for an unreliable 2004 S80 2.5T w/ AWD. Much happier with the S60.

S60s can get 30 mpgs but only highway, otherwise 20 around town.

I'm still waiting to see what VW will offer, my TDI still gets me A to B.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
Interesting, I received a very similar mailer Friday, although mine has no reference to VW/Audi 2.0TDi vehicles or any other vehicles at all.....just Complimentary Safe + Secure Plan with purchase/lease of any new 2016/2017 Volvo....must present postcard to get offer.
The mailer is as you described. If you click the link it then lists the VW models that qualify. All are VW Emission Recall related (those were their words, more or less).

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
Uhhh, not free. Rather, it should be understood as included. And Volvo has offered the 4 year/50K warranty before.

The regular Volvo warranty is 48 months / 50K. This appears to bump it to 60 months / 50K, which is nice for those of use more likely to hit the time than the mileage.

The maintenance is bumped from 36 months / 26K to 5 years / 50K. That is an extra service or two at a few hundred.

Then they also include wear and tear items except for tires. That is "new" and also bump up whatever roadside assistance they had to 5 years.

It is a decent extra spiff for those already looking to get a Volvo, and if you can find a 2016 on the lot and get a good deal on it then it is extra icing on the cake.

What I think is most interesting about it is it is one of the first other make of car targeted offers to VW TDI owners to try and get their business. First salvo in the war, so to speak.

Throwback7r

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
It is for cars sold between Sept 1 and Jan xx 2017.
I found a 2015.5 V60 and since it was a demo it has the included CPO warranty on top of that as well. Right now there are a few great deals on Volvo's. If you haven't driven one I will say you should.

USCGTO

TDI
Passat TDi 6M
I am looking at getting a S80 T5. And this, although peanuts, will be a welcome offer.

3CatGo

TDI
2012 JSW TDI
Any of the V60 buyers here care to disclose model type/options and price paid vs. MSRP? We own a JSW TDI and the V60 is at the top of our list to replace, but the MSRP's look, frankly, a bit crazy for what is really an aging model. The car is beautiful overall and rives well, but the advertised costs scare me.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
I contacted Volvo and the special VW offer does not include the "European Delivery" cars.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
Any of the V60 buyers here care to disclose model type/options and price paid vs. MSRP? We own a JSW TDI and the V60 is at the top of our list to replace, but the MSRP's look, frankly, a bit crazy for what is really an aging model. The car is beautiful overall and rives well, but the advertised costs scare me.
If you find a 2016 V60 still on the lot you should be able to negotiate a pretty penny off MSRP. Our dealer didn't have any and we went with the European Delivery option as it was $3500 off MSRP for a 2017 plus free tickets to Sweden for 2 and 4 nights hotel. And the dealer was not that interested in negotiating large amount off a 2017. But the 2016 he would have if he had them (and offered other Volvo models of 2016 saying the price was very negotiable). I've seen others mention significant savings (10%+++) and looking at Edmunds TMV may help as well. Last I looked they were significantly cheaper for 2016 there.

Others have found CPO models for good deals.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
I got my V60 in August when the "free Premier package" offer was still on, and I think the overall discount over list price was something like 15%. I didn't realise it at the time, but the reason I got such a good deal was that they were trying to move the 2016s to make way for 2017s.

The lease was $3500 and $281 a month. On the 2017, the national site now shows the same down and $339 a month, with the same spec. Glad I went for it when I did.

Maybe there are still 2016s around on which you could get a great deal?

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
The list prices are pretty crazy, but what attracted me are the deep discounts they're usually offered at.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
I looked at the window sticker, and the list price is $40,550 with destination charge. The actual agreed value on the invoice is $33,800, equaling a discount of approx. 17%. Some of that discount consists of lease-only incentives ("lease cash", $2000 I think). Another part of it is "free premier package", worth $2650.

There's a further $1000 allowance called "conquest cash" for non-Volvo owners, subtracted after the agreed value, but that is cancelled out by a $995 acquisition fee for the lease.

So actual price paid is :

$32,800 plus $995 acquisition fee, plus all the DMV fees and purchase tax.

The vehicle is a 2016 V60 with premier package and heated seats, plus some little things like mats and cargo nets.

Last edited:

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
I am seriously looking at a CPO S60. Had one before for ten years and was pleased (except for cost of repairs). I see '14s and '15s with less than 20K miles for sale from $27 to $28. And they come with a 100K warranty.
That's exactly the direction I went.

For some reason, Volvo had a 2015.5 model year - there are subtle differences/upgrades over 2015.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
I paid 28K$ even for a CPO 2015 V60 (32K miles), Platinum trim with rear camera, navi, heated seats, sunroof, and a bunch of other goodies.

As best I can tell, not many people go for the Platinum trim, so when you shop for CPO, you won't find many. My main requirements were for a rear camera, and roof rails to which I could attach a bike rack. I had a sort-of-nice to have list with the navi, BLIS, and adaptive cruise control - I only got the navi.

Volvo options are pretty a-la-carte. The trim level gives you some of it, but don't assume that a given car comes with something unless you see it in black and white. A few minor things can be added by a dealer - many can only be installed by the factory.

Had I gotten a 2015.5, I would have probably gotten a few more minor goodies, and a slightly better navi (one where you can download/update the maps yourself using a USB stick).

As it happens, my buyback from VW is slightly more than than what I paid for the V60, but you start to add in taxes, fees and all of the usual nonsense, and all in all the thing did cost me a few K$.

delta18

TDI
2012 Golf Comfortline 6MT
I looked at a 2016 V60 AWD. Has anyone else here driven one of those? I actually thought it felt a little underpowered compared with what I was expecting.

Right now I'm trying to decide between going with a V60 or waiting and getting an Alltrack.

I'm also trying to decide if the convince of not having to stop and put on chains in the winter (I live in the mountains of California where this is often the rule) beats the fuel economy benefits of FWD.

I haven't driven the FWD V60 yet but am going to try to see if I can find one at a dealer nearby to see if it drives any better than the AWD. Has anyone here driven both and has some insight?

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked at a 2016 V60 AWD. Has anyone else here driven one of those? I actually thought it felt a little underpowered compared with what I was expecting.
Right now I'm trying to decide between going with a V60 or waiting and getting an Alltrack.
I'm also trying to decide if the convince of not having to stop and put on chains in the winter (I live in the mountains of California where this is often the rule) beats the fuel economy benefits of FWD.
I haven't driven the FWD V60 yet but am going to try to see if I can find one at a dealer nearby to see if it drives any better than the AWD. Has anyone here driven both and has some insight?

Just note that if you go for a 2017, the 2017 AWD V60 has the same motor as the FWD. For 2016 that is not the case.

delta18

TDI
2012 Golf Comfortline 6MT
Just note that if you go for a 2017, the 2017 AWD V60 has the same motor as the FWD. For 2016 that is not the case.
I noticed that. I was hoping that would mean better fuel economy but it looks from the specs like it only amounts to a 2 mpg difference over the 2.5.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
I noticed that. I was hoping that would mean better fuel economy but it looks from the specs like it only amounts to a 2 mpg difference over the 2.5.

Yeah the rated MPG for the AWD is a little lower than I would have thought. 5 MPG less. I was hoping 3-4. Anyway, I chose the FWD when I ordered.