Volvo Offer For VW TDI Owners

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The specs that I just looked up said it was 12" longer and 6" wider. For me, both are problematic. I could barely get out of the V60 when I got home tonight because my wife hadn't parked the Golf close enough to the wall on her side.

If we had nothing other than the cars themselves, one could probably get it to fit. But we have shelves of stuff that we are storing, and at the head of the garage I have a tool chest that takes up some space as well.
Sounds like your wife parks like mine. I have a stop marker for her so that we can get around the front end of the car but often she just keeps going. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with our stuff when the JSW becomes her dd. That extra 18 inches will probably mean a complete reorganization of the garage.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
I have a v60 with drive-e engine 37MPG can happen on the highway, just watch your speed and hit that eco+ button.

Most of our driving so far is city driving and small stretches of state highway (a mile or three) and we are about 26MPG.

And we are at 4500ft altitude which also puts a small dent in MPG. We will be going to California in April. I will be very careful to track the pure highway driving down to Anaheim when we go. And back.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
Sounds like your wife parks like mine. I have a stop marker for her so that we can get around the front end of the car but often she just keeps going. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with our stuff when the JSW becomes her dd. That extra 18 inches will probably mean a complete reorganization of the garage.
I have to be fair to her - due to the tight space in the garage, one of us has to back in - that way the drivers doors are both in the middle. When I had my ALH, I got the honor of backing in, and I had a few broken side-view mirrors to show for it. My experience was that I would keep a close eye on that passenger side-view mirror to judge how close I was to the wall, but sometimes I would focus too much on what I was seeing in the mirror and not enough on where the mirror was in relation to the frame of the garage door.

When I got the JSW, it just made sense for us to switch - she now backs in, and I pull in the normal way. So far she has only smashed one side view mirror, but she also put a hole in the drywall with one of her tires :eek:. That's an easy fix - once the weather warms up a bit..

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
I have to be fair to her - due to the tight space in the garage, one of us has to back in - that way the drivers doors are both in the middle. When I had my ALH, I got the honor of backing in, and I had a few broken side-view mirrors to show for it. My experience was that I would keep a close eye on that passenger side-view mirror to judge how close I was to the wall, but sometimes I would focus too much on what I was seeing in the mirror and not enough on where the mirror was in relation to the frame of the garage door.

When I got the JSW, it just made sense for us to switch - she now backs in, and I pull in the normal way. So far she has only smashed one side view mirror, but she also put a hole in the drywall with one of her tires :eek:. That's an easy fix - once the weather warms up a bit..

Sounds like you need a new garage, or motorcycles.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
It is a townhouse, so a new garage means a new house and all of the hassle that this would involve.
Look at it as an opportunity :)

One of our cars is stuck parking on the driveway (and it is the V60 since the e-tron needs to be plugged in) due to a garage half full of boxes and stuff. The other half I have to be careful with parking due to shelves, and stuff like that on one side and the boxes and lawn mower and junk on the other.

I feel your pain.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
It kills me that auto folding mirrors are exactly what you need but can't use in situations like these.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I had those on my avalanche and really liked them. What helped me on that truck was the running boards becasue they stuck out about two inches more than the folded mirrors. I just rubbed the right running board along the center support for the garage doors and knew I was far enough over that I could still get out the driver's door. That wasn't mush of a worry since I could always slide across and use the passanger door.

Q-Ship

TDI
2009 Jetta, U Boat Grey
Pointless post. Posting "I just farted" would've been more informative.
FYI, Volvo has been a Chinese Company since ca. 2010. The brand is owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group and if you read the automotive trades, you'll see that they are working extremely hard to make sure buyers think they are purchasing a "Swedish" safety-mobile. Also, before that, it was a division of Ford. This is common knowledge in Sweden, where Volvo is now being outsold by foreign brands, particularly VW.

For amusement, the next time you see new one, ask the owner how they like their Chinese car. The reactions can be priceless.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
FYI, Volvo has been a Chinese Company since ca. 2010. The brand is owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group and if you read the automotive trades, you'll see that they are working extremely hard to make sure buyers think they are purchasing a "Swedish" safety-mobile. Also, before that, it was a division of Ford. This is common knowledge in Sweden, where Volvo is now being outsold by foreign brands, particularly VW.

For amusement, the next time you see new one, ask the owner how they like their Chinese car. The reactions can be priceless.
Yes, but the assembly plants are still in Sweden and Belgium, and they are building a plant in South Carolina. I believe the only thing that is assembled in China are the Inscription versions.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi

In 2010, when Volvo was owned by Ford, the V60 was made in Sweden, and like all cars, had content from all over - mostly Bosch electronics, German transmission, and so on. Now they are owned by Geely, and guess what's changed? Nothing. Except my new V60 has a transmission made in Japan, and a new, designed entirely by Volvo, made in Sweden, engine.

By content, my Volvo is less Chinese than a Mercedes.

Yes, my reaction would be priceless, similar to the one I'm experiencing now, in fact, along the lines of "Jeez, what an ignorant p***k".

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
So is a cars nationality determined by its parent company, or by where it is designed and made, and by whom, and out of what? By your reckoning, Jaguars are Indian, and my old Jetta was Mexican.

The actual effect of Indian ownership of Jaguar has been a spectacular revival in their range. In the next few years you're going to see something similar from Volvo, as Geely funds development of a new range. They are planning on a new model a year from now on, including new S and V60. What these two parent companies have is money to invest, unlike Ford.

DancingDiesel

TDI
2011 JSW DSG
Must be the subarus, hyundais and toyotas are All AMERICAN cars, then.
Because they have some of their factories on I 65 in the U S of A.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Must be the subarus, hyundais and toyotas are All AMERICAN cars, then.
Because they have some of their factories on I 65 in the U S of A.
I thought this argument had been settled several decades ago. Apart from laws requiring that a certain percentage of a car be manufactured in the U.S., my impression has been that ALL carmakers make their cars in the most expedient fashion. If that means they incorporate an engine made in Poland and a transmission made in Japan, with an interior done in the PRC and windows made in Youngstown, OH, then assembled in a plant in Lafayette IN (Subaru) or Chattanooga TN (the Passat and whateverinell that new SUV is called), then that's the way it'll be done. Amirite?

emersonbiggins

TDI
09 JSW TDI

I already knew all of this; the posts following yours proved why none of it matters. Did you post this from your Chinese-made iPhone, per chance?

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI

Having just recently been at the factory in *Sweden*, I can assure you that the only thing Chinese about most Volvos is that their parent holding company is Chinese. Most of the robots were German (or Japanese etc), and the workers were all Swedes. I believe that Swedes also do most of the design work in the car.

The parts on ours come from around the world, but mostly Europe and Japan.

Last edited:

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
I thought this argument had been settled several decades ago. Apart from laws requiring that a certain percentage of a car be manufactured in the U.S., my impression has been that ALL carmakers make their cars in the most expedient fashion. If that means they incorporate an engine made in Poland and a transmission made in Japan, with an interior done in the PRC and windows made in Youngstown, OH, then assembled in a plant in Lafayette IN (Subaru) or Chattanooga TN (the Passat and whateverinell that new SUV is called), then that's the way it'll be done. Amirite?
The funny story following the new "ala carte" world of auto-manufacture, was when Deutsche Post punked VW and called up the parts for their own EV delivery vans:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-deutschepost-vans-interlopers-idUSKCN1261RB

Cars can be ordered to make either companies, or their customers, more profitable ;) .

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
The funny story following the new "ala carte" world of auto-manufacture, was when Deutsche Post punked VW and called up the parts for their own EV delivery vans:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-deutschepost-vans-interlopers-idUSKCN1261RB
Cars can be ordered to make either companies, or their customers, more profitable ;) .
Interesting. But this is giving VW a taste of medicine they already knew, from when they licensed the Dodge Caravan and rebadged it as the Routan. I wonder how many unsuspecting customers were pissed (on principle) to learn this post-purchase?

Bosch showed off an all-in-one electric drive motor at CES that, let's face it, replaces the engine, transmission, and differential of a gasoline drivetrain (one motor per wheel). They're already doing most of the other controls and axillary systems.

More and more it seems, auto companies are trending toward concept, assembly, and marketing.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If anyone that bought a Routan didn't already know it was a Chrysler, they were just plain stupid.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
If anyone that bought a Routan didn't already know it was a Chrysler, they were just plain stupid.
That's a bit unfair to the general public, don't you think? My folks owned a VW bus and an original Caravan when I was young. If they strayed on to a VW lot and sat in a Routan, I wouldn't hold it against either one of them for not knowing.

Not that I was in the market for one, but the only reason I know is because I end up in Caravans as rentals, so when I sat in a Routan on display at an event, it was unmistakably familiar.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I always think of the car name as "Rotten" :D.
I called them crywagens.

That's a bit unfair to the general public, don't you think? My folks owned a VW bus and an original Caravan when I was young. If they strayed on to a VW lot and sat in a Routan, I wouldn't hold it against either one of them for not knowing.

Not that I was in the market for one, but the only reason I know is because I end up in Caravans as rentals, so when I sat in a Routan on display at an event, it was unmistakably familiar.
Maybe once you sat in one, you could be forgiven for not seeing the Chrysler influence on everything. At least VW looked like they insisted on much higher quality interiors. From the outside though, all you had to deisgnate the difference was the emblem on the grill and the hatch. Kind of like Chrysler slapping the "Pacifica" model name on them now.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Hakan Samuelsson CEO of Volvo

Check out Volvo CEO Hakan Samuelsson's interview with the Financial Times. Volvo is back. They are no longer a "division" of Ford as stated by Hakan. Volvo executives now have greater autonomy with their decision making. Previously everything had to be cleared by Ford. No longer.

Interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VSpqaw6buE

Zero deaths by 2020 is bold. Volvo is now able to get back to their roots or heritage, which is safety. Boron steel, City Safety and Rollover Stability Control are some of the systems in place. We hope to never need these.

What's more important ? Money/cost of the vehicle or your life/health ?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does it matter how safe it is if you can't afford it? In the past (late 80s - 90s), Volvo's were pretty expensive to buy and keep on the road. They had many safety innovations that have since become common features. Maybe it's a change in my income bracket or a change in thier pricing competitiveness, but Volvo is now in my consideration list.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Well, that's a tough question. My wife and I are in our 40s with 2 kids, aged 13 and 10. We were a VW family. We have become a Volvo family.

It's true, Volvos are more expensive to purchase. I have graduated to a more comfortable car. I took over the wife's 2012 S60 T5 FWD as a commuter car which was purchased certified in the mid $20K range and has been very reliable.

Our TDI replacement is a 2013 XC90 3.2 AWD SUV which gives us the space we need for more road trips instead of flying. Also more versatility.

I drive a lot slower (most of the time). Performance is not as important to me as comfort at this stage of our lives.

Safety is relative to the driver. A maniac behind the wheel of a Volvo can die just as any other driver of any vehicle, but the Volvo itself encourages safety and ride comfort over performance and risk taking.

I can drive a VW very safely too, just drive slower, get more mpgs and avoid accidents. But, it's still nice to know Volvo vehicles are designed with safety and comfort as priorities over performance.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Volvo forum question

Sort of a good bye post. I have heard swedespeed is a good forum for Volvo.

Just wondering. Am about to join up there.

Of course this forum was awesome. So many diehards here, excellent advice, gurus, diys, probably going to be nowhere near the following as VW forum here.

Anyway guys, all the best out there on the road of life.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, Seeedspeed is the place, but it's nothing like here. Say hi on the TDI Refugee thread if you're on the 60 forum.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Sort of a good bye post. I have heard swedespeed is a good forum for Volvo.
Just wondering. Am about to join up there.
Of course this forum was awesome. So many diehards here, excellent advice, gurus, diys, probably going to be nowhere near the following as VW forum here.
Anyway guys, all the best out there on the road of life.
Yeah, SwedeSpeed is good. Lots of long time, multiple Volvo-owning enthusiasts there though not as active as here. It's more like a couple of visits a week vs. 2x a day.