Volvo diesels?

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Anyone here familiar with the Volvo 240D with VW made D24 diesel?

I am contemplating a purchase, and would appreciate some feedback.

If you are thinking about saying "run away!", I've already heard it. :p

Strack

Veteran Member
I heard that it was an Audi truck block which VW ended up selling to Volvo. They are noisy and shake quite a bit, but if the car come at the right price, why not?

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
There seem to be various stories about the origins, but it definitely came from Audi/VW. Some reliable info says it's essentially a VW 1.6L (Rabbit) with two more cylinders so some parts are interchangeable.

What concerns me is that there seem to be so few of them out there, and thus a very very small community of support. Compared to say, Mercedes diesels, there is just no comparison.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I've not heard anything very good about the old volvo diesels. Neither very economical nor reliable.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Phil, I thought we had wrapped up these Volvo discussions last week :eek:

Marauderer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta "Diesel Edition"
I had an 85 745 Turbo Diesel. I was a 2.8 L straight 6 cyl.

It averaged 30 mpg for the 312K mi that I had it and it was a great car. I only sold it because they only offered the engine for 2 yrs (85/86) and it developed a head gasket oil leak at 312 K mi and I couldn't find an engine other than at Volvo and they wanted $7K just for a long block plus installation. I couldn't justify it for a 12 yr old car. The 240D probably does not have a good parts availabilty so it is your choice.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Besides the known head (oiling) issues, the only thing that really concerns me parts wise is having to replace the fuel injection pump. Since it's a VW engine, a lot of the parts (glow plugs for instance) are available.

The owner reports that he has not had to add oil in the 5000 miles he's owned it. He apparently drives it 25 miles a day. I find this odd, and almost alarming. I thought it was pretty much a given that old diesels of this era consumed oil. I read in one FAQ on the swedisihbrick site that an engine which had a dead cylinder stopped consuming oil before dying. Only a compression test would tell for sure. The owner reports no cold starting problems at all.

Marauderer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta "Diesel Edition"
philh said:
Besides the known head (oiling) issues, the only thing that really concerns me parts wise is having to replace the fuel injection pump. Since it's a VW engine, a lot of the parts (glow plugs for instance) are available.

The owner reports that he has not had to add oil in the 5000 miles he's owned it. He apparently drives it 25 miles a day. I find this odd, and almost alarming. I thought it was pretty much a given that old diesels of this era consumed oil. I read in one FAQ on the swedisihbrick site that an engine which had a dead cylinder stopped consuming oil before dying. Only a compression test would tell for sure. The owner reports no cold starting problems at all.
Before mine developed the oil leak I averaged about one qt. every 3000 mi.

I ran Amsoil 15-40 Heavy Duty Marine and Diesel with the bypass filter and dumped the crankcase every 100K mi.

Leak down test is always a good investment when buying a used motor.;)

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Here is a photo of the motor. I would say the valve cover is leaking.

Click for a larger version.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I think its the CCV feed into the air intake that is leaking.

HJECK

TDI
2004 B5 TDI,dark blue
Phil, the early 240d's had problems with the heads.Thats a aluminum head on a cast block.Had 2 of them that were both replaced by Volvo.Also the a/c and heat system is a GM and the fans were also replaced which involves ripping apart the dash.also rerplaced all injector lines.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Is '84 early? The owner has volumes (literally) of service records, which I would love to scour.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
boy. Does THAT bring back memories...

Had an '84 760 TD. Similar, with a turbo with some small amount of boost (11psi?). Loud. Developed a bad leak at the rear cam seal. After it broke the cam. Or the belt, we argued about which happened first.

Note the 2nd belt driving the IP. If put on too tight it will cause a leak in the pump, or break the cam.

it would get about 25-27 mpg combined, 30+ on the highway if you didn't go too fast. Hated cold weather, long glow times. Had a +20gal tank, so you could get 600mi on the highway, +500mi in town.

AC sucked dirty bowl water. Never worked worth a dang, heater was great.

After 17 yrs, it passed into oblivion...

HO'OLAKO

Veteran Member
There are tons of parts in europe for this motor. LT28-35 used this motor. Try VWLT diesel search. found a forum that caters to this motor in U.K. but i didn't save web site. Living in Houston, Old diesels love hot weather. Good Luck!

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Weve got one.......1983 with 145k on the clock......runs like a charm.

doubledls

TDI
Jetta, 1999.5 A4, black, 2009 Jetta 6 M, black
Volvo Diesel Experience

Folks:

I had 2 Volvo Diesels had put over 450,000 miles on them. I got my first one in 1980 and traded in the last one (an 84 wagon) in late 2002. The engines use some oil with usage increasing as the engine wears out. My 84 had about 300,000 miles on it when I traded it in. It became difficult to start in cold weather and used more oil because it started to have blow by. Some of this would get sucked back into the air intake during hard acceleration which made for a black smoke event. However, once it was warmed up it still ran OK and still got about 28 mpg.

Go to the Swedish Bricks website if you want to find out more as there are some gurus who rebuild these engines. Only once in 450,000 miles did either of these car strand me (it was the 1980 because of an improper repair). My 1980 averaged about 33 mpg for the 155,000+ miles I had it. The injection timing can be adjusted so that you can get better mileage but mid 30's is about the best to expect.

I used to get a lot of parts from Voluparts in Atlanta as they had a number of used Volvo diesels in their yard. The glow plugs and oil and fuel filters are the same as used for VWs and some Audi 5 cylinder diesels. You have to be careful that you get the right glow plugs as the 84 has the newer fast glow plugs. The air filter is the same used by the VW Vanagon from 1980 to 1985. Neither of my cars needed any fuel pump work except to replace the shut-off solenoid.

My 84 looked a bit like your picture, the valve cover gasket leaked a little but most oil would leak from the hose connection to the intake manifold. The biggest problem I was facing on my 84 was a timing belt and probably a water pump too and the maintenance cost for this can be more than the cost of the car ($400+).

Since the rest of the car was a Volvo 240, there were few problems, however, the wiring can be an issue if you don't watch it as the wire covering started to come off some wires in the engine compartment after about 12 years.

I have not heard of many of these engines going much beyond 300,000 miles without a rebuild and I know many that were rebuilt before 200,000 miles (but I know some folks didn't exactly do oil changes as often as they should have).

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
doubledls said:
Go to the Swedish Bricks website if you want to find out more as there are some gurus who rebuild these engines.
That's the truth. They have a mailing list that has proved helpful so far. Their Diesel FAQ page has some useful info. I also found a dedicated D24 mailing list, and a volvo diesel yahoo group. This stuff is out there, you just have to dig!

I am less concerned now about a dead cylinder, however the advice I'm getting now says that it will be due for a timing belt change soon. I can probably do this myself, but I was hoping not to buy a vehicle that would need a significant investment in the short term. :eek: