Volvo Car Group’s new VEA diesels will use i-ART injection systems

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
...Increasing the rail pressure to an exceptionally high 2,500 Bar, while adding the i-ART technology, can be described as the second step in the diesel revolution. It is a breakthrough comparable to when we invented the groundbreaking lambda sensor for the catalytic converter in 1976. It’s another world-first for Volvo....
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/04/iart-20130408.html

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
From the Bosh-VW 2000 bar CR HPFP to the Volvo i-ART 2500 bar, it sounds for the recipe of more blown high pressure diesel pumps in the USA...

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
From the Bosh-VW 2000 bar CR HPFP to the Volvo i-ART 2500 bar, it sounds for the recipe of more blown high pressure diesel pumps in the USA...
Because all fuel pumps are designed the same way and suffer from the same failure points :rolleyes:.

P.S., gasoline HPFPs also suffer from failures, and you can't blame the lack of diesel lubricity on those.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Thanks for sharing, wxman! Sounds like another step forward.

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
Volvo's new HPFP probably fuel-lubricated

>> ... it sounds for the recipe of more blown high pressure diesel pumps in the USA...

In this case, I'd tend to agree, unless there is something especially robust about this particular pump.

> Because all fuel pumps are designed the same way and suffer from the same failure points :rolleyes:.

The pump in this case appears to be a Denso, and not a Botch. The key question, of course, is not so much what brand, but what lubricates the pump. And it appears that, like the Botch CP4.1, the Denso is lubricated by the fuel, based on this diagram I managed to find:

http://globaldensoproducts.com/engine-management/diesel-engine-management/common-rail-system/

Between that, and seeing what the new Chinese ownership of the brand means, I think I'd wait a couple of year before considering buying one of these diesels in the US.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
>> ... it sounds for the recipe of more blown high pressure diesel pumps in the USA...

In this case, I'd tend to agree, unless there is something especially robust about this particular pump.

> Because all fuel pumps are designed the same way and suffer from the same failure points :rolleyes:.

The pump in this case appears to be a Denso, and not a Botch. The key question, of course, is not so much what brand, but what lubricates the pump. And it appears that, like the Botch CP4.1, the Denso is lubricated by the fuel, based on this diagram I managed to find:

http://globaldensoproducts.com/engine-management/diesel-engine-management/common-rail-system/

Between that, and seeing what the new Chinese ownership of the brand means, I think I'd wait a couple of year before considering buying one of these diesels in the US.
You should probably come to grips that all CR diesels have pumps that are lubricated by the fuel in the areas where the most stress is encountered. IF I'm wrong on that, go ahead and show me one that is not.

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
Denso boldly sails into harm's way

> You should probably come to grips that all CR diesels have pumps that are lubricated by the fuel in the areas where the most stress is encountered.

The i-ART is a new system (2011-09), still gaining new applications. Knowing nothing about it until today, I figured there was at least a chance that it might be different in that regard.

As I understand it, all such fuel-lubricated HPFPs are at varying degrees of risk from the bilge sold as US diesel fuel.

i-ART was probably still in development when the CP4.1 started having publicly obvious problems here. I'm open to the possibility that Denso paid attention, and engineered what will need to be a bullet-proof pump, but I'd like to see some real world results that confirm it.

By the way, do we yet know what VW's next gen fuel system uses?

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)

our new T5 S60 Volvo built in Sweden owned by the Chinese has been GREAT. Remember if Geely had not bailed them they might not have been able to keep building world class cars....the new S60, V60 and others are world class machines.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
...Diesel with ground-breaking i-Art technology
The D4 turbo diesel comes with 190 hp and 400 Nm of torque. The engine features world-first i-ART technology with pressure feedback from each fuel injector instead of using a traditional single pressure sensor in the common rail.
Each injector has an intelligent chip on top of it that monitors injection pressure. Using this information, the self-adapting i-ART system makes sure that the ideal amount of fuel is injected during each combustion cycle.
“The combination of injection pressure at 2,500 bar and i-ART technology gives the customer an engine with high performance, improved fuel economy and considerably lower emissions,” says Michael Fleiss.
The diesel also features refinements such as a state-of-the-art twin-turbo, reduced friction and a smart valve solution on the cooling system for a more rapid heat-up phase after a cold start....
https://www.media.volvocars.com/glo...owerful-lowest-emission-engine-in-its-segment

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Potential HPFP failure is not the main issue. It has been the failure to mitigate collateral damage that is of greater concern- IMO.