Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slum Cut

TDI
2014 SportWagen
Fuel mileage readings like this are never correct, for any company. They are an estimate using a formula. At least with VW you can correct the algorithm using VCDS.
If they're building some MPG deception into an ECU update that almost certainly makes MPG worse, that would explain why some people here report almost no MPG change after the update. That isn't annoying to you?

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
Fuel mileage readings like this are never correct, for any company. They are an estimate using a formula. At least with VW you can correct the algorithm using VCDS.
My point was that the reflash caused my previously accurate computer to now be inaccurate. The 2306 update did nothing good for my vehicle, just the opposite in my experience, and my advice to anyone who hasn't had it done is avoid it if you can.

rob c

TDI
2011 sportwagen dsg
3rd hand rumor re: VW compensation

Cause, what the Hell, more fuel to the fire.

A friend who knows the Florida Regional VW manager (hence third hand).. told my friend that Gift Cards will be sent aprx. 11/20 - amounts unknown - one for VW service and one to do whatever you want wherever you want.
Also that 2016 and 2015 will be "fixed" first and us lucky owners of 2009-2014 will have to wait a while before we let VW open up our cars, and retrofit for Urea Tank and all that's involved in that.... I am so excited about letting any VW service tech do this work... would not trust many to change my wiper blades.

rick_deckard

TDI
2014 Golf TDI Sun/Nav
A friend who knows the Florida Regional VW manager (hence third hand).. told my friend that Gift Cards will be sent aprx. 11/20 - amounts unknown - one for VW service and one to do whatever you want wherever you want.
Also that 2016 and 2015 will be "fixed" first and us lucky owners of 2009-2014 will have to wait a while before we let VW open up our cars, and retrofit for Urea Tank and all that's involved in that.... I am so excited about letting any VW service tech do this work... would not trust many to change my wiper blades.
The reason I had to sell my old Jetta was due to their "service" department's work after my water pump failed (just inside the final thousand miles of warranty at least). The car basically fell apart piece by piece after that.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The reason I had to sell my old Jetta was due to their "service" department's work after my water pump failed (just inside the final thousand miles of warranty at least). The car basically fell apart piece by piece after that.
I had a car like that once and stopped having problems when I stopped taking it back to that dealer.

It's still going strong with over 350K on it, and it was a gasser.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I just saw a 2013 JSW with 35k miles for $10k yesterday- and this is at a VW dealer.
I checked the websites and none of the Charlotte dealers have that ridiculous pricing. The only thing on one site that temps me is the 2014 Beetle ragtop, of course TDI.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI

Sweet. I'll get me that set of dubs that I've been wanting, lol. On a serious note...I need to do a 40k service in like a week. It'll piss me off if I go flush ~$400 down the toilet on that and get a "gift card" in the mail the following week.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Are you sure that was a tdi? I thought VW dealers have a stop sale order an all TDIs, NEW and USED.
The stop sale impact new and certified pre-owned. It doesn't seem to impact used. I.e. My dealership has a '15 Passat TDI SE with 5k for sale. It looks literally brand new and they've still got it posted for sale online.

rob c

TDI
2011 sportwagen dsg
Sweet. I'll get me that set of dubs that I've been wanting, lol. On a serious note...I need to do a 40k service in like a week. It'll piss me off if I go flush ~$400 down the toilet on that and get a "gift card" in the mail the following week.
So when we find out the amounts, I wonder if we could transfer the VW specific card to another VW owner for him/her to use.
I am thinking I would let mine go for pennies on the dollar. I only use a trusted independent.

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
I am so excited about letting any VW service tech do this work... would not trust many to change my wiper blades.

Now, now, my dealer changed mine last summer and they work just fine.

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
interesting that you will have to go to a dealership to activate the cards. I feel like there may be a hidden agenda there.
Probably have to sign away any right to sue, either individually or in a class action.

TCBinaflash

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI

I have to go to the dealer today. My fuel filter is spewing Diesel everywhere after having them replace the filter last week.

Also found the mechanic's gum wrapper in my engine compartment.

I wish I was more handy and could do this stuff myself.

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
If they're building some MPG deception into an ECU update that almost certainly makes MPG worse, that would explain why some people here report almost no MPG change after the update. That isn't annoying to you?
There is no deception. It is a formula that estimates fuel economy using several variables. IT IS AN ESTIMATE. You can adjust one of those variables using VCDS to get it closer to actual.

If you want them to tack on a few hundred dollars/car to add flowmeters to the delivery and return lines you can have something more accurate. Is that what you want?

Every single company has this same issue. Google it. It is well documented.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
interesting that you will have to go to a dealership to activate the cards. I feel like there may be a hidden agenda there.
If they didn't do that...people would sell/trade them. i.e. Trade a $200 service card (if you had no intention of using it) for $150 cash.

Slum Cut

TDI
2014 SportWagen
There is no deception. It is a formula that estimates fuel economy using several variables. IT IS AN ESTIMATE. You can adjust one of those variables using VCDS to get it closer to actual.

If you want them to tack on a few hundred dollars/car to add flowmeters to the delivery and return lines you can have something more accurate. Is that what you want?

Every single company has this same issue. Google it. It is well documented.
I understand that. The person who noted this is saying the ecu flash caused the estimate to get 10% more optimistic. Is that a coincidence? I'm genuinely asking, but if it is not, it is extremely troubling.

Prop Man

TDI
2010 Audi A3 TDI
I am wondering if VW will be including Audi owners in any of these "bribes?" Audi is really run as a separate company (wholly owned by VW) in the USA and I have to wonder if they are coming up with a separate plan?

Have any of you heard anything from the Audi side of things? I haven't heard one peep from Audi about this whole thing--no letter, no press release, no nothing. I called Audi and they said that they were "working on a response" and would "announce something shortly." This was about 3 weeks ago.

uninc

TDI
2012 GOLF TDI MKVI
So when we find out the amounts, I wonder if we could transfer the VW specific card to another VW owner for him/her to use.
I am thinking I would let mine go for pennies on the dollar. I only use a trusted independent.
Should be able to use this to buy tires. I will be dropping of my set of wheels so they don't even get a chance to put my car on the lift.

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know if I want to pass on a $12 check from a law firm five years from now.
I'm still waiting on my $8 for a pair of shoes. Was supposed to get it in September but I think the lawyers are trying to suck more out of the settlement.

I have a 2009 and I am happy with the service department where I go so the gift cards would probably be more than I could even hope to recoup in an individual suit. I'll probably just take them.

Remember, even if you sign away your right to any legal action, VW still has to repair or buyback (depending on the deals they come to with EPA and CARB). Not that everyone will want their "repair" depending on what it works out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.