Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
The 1.8 TSI has a problem of snapping cam shafts and we got a stop sale notice on vehicles with that engine. Interestingly the couple I've fixed were both in a rental fleet that does their own services. Several techs I talked to from other dealers related similar stories. No customer cars have had the issue....yet.

Dealers have been issued a stop sale order on new and certified TDIs that are affected by the EPA NOV. Regular used cars and older models with different engines not affected by the NOV can be sold. That MAYBE why some dealers are calling for trade ins - so they have TDI inventory to sell.

Jason

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
I remember a few decades ago, when Beetles were verbotten, anyone could take their beat up junked Beetle to Mexico, rebuild it for $6000 and ship it back to the states, looking brand new.

Has VW explored the idea of turning junked 2000-2005 Jettas/Golfs/Passats from gas engines to ALH engines, and resell them for $20K?

csl223

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI, 6sp Manual
The 1.8 TSI has a problem of snapping cam shafts and we got a stop sale notice on vehicles with that engine. Interestingly the couple I've fixed were both in a rental fleet that does their own services. Several techs I talked to from other dealers related similar stories. No customer cars have had the issue....yet.
Dealers have been issued a stop sale order on new and certified TDIs that are affected by the EPA NOV. Regular used cars and older models with different engines not affected by the NOV can be sold. That MAYBE why some dealers are calling for trade ins - so they have TDI inventory to sell.
Jason
WOW! That would be huge for VW right now, I'm sure the majority of their sales have that engine! I'd love to see confirmation on this!

Last edited:

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
Yup. Americans like a deal and they generally don't care what it cost someone to make that happen.

I am curious though what the number looks like when you throw out people that took advantage of the $2,000 incentive and were doing so to unload a TDI. My local dealership has four used late model TDI's on the lot. I have to assume that's why they're there.
Yeah, my hair stood up when I read that article. Up .24% with big ole discounts. Me thinks the VW PR machine is working overtime.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Certainly shows business as usual is happening.
That's the party line. My dealership...as well as others (if you look at dealership inventories online)...have a vehicle inventory that makes them look more like used car lots than Volkswagen dealerships. i.e. My dealership. 80 vehicles in stock. Only 20 are new Volkswagens.

Edit: If things were going that well, they wouldn't have to resort to selling primarily used vehicles (mostly non-VW).

Last edited:

TDIintheLOU

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL

Not good. I was looking at the differences between the 1.8t and 2.0t for a gaser alternative.

Just released that there are some 800k gas and diesel vehicles that may have cheat software for Co2 emissions as well. They mentioned the 1.3L gas so I don't believe this would be in the US market.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
my my my...
"Volkswagen Says 800,000 More Cars Affected in Emissions Probe"
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ons-woes-deepen-as-800-000-more-cars-affected
from the article said:
Volkswagen AG said an internal probe in the wake of the diesel scandal that has engulfed the German carmaker showed irregularities in CO2 emissions affecting an additional 800,000 cars, deepening a crisis that has already cost long-time Chief Executive Officer Martin Winterkorn his job, depressed the stock price and led to ballooning provisions.
CO2 instead of NOx? :confused: Must be talking about gassers? :confused:

mjLyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 2-Door TDI DSG
Just released that there are some 800k gas and diesel vehicles that may have cheat software for Co2 emissions as well. They mentioned the 1.3L gas so I don't believe this would be in the US market.
Where did you read the CO2 issue is for the 1.3L gas engine?
The only thing I could find on the engines affected was from Reuters.
"...which mostly affects small diesel engines and one gasoline one."

Hopefully it's not an engine used in N.A.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/03/us-volkswagen-emissions-co2levels-idUSKCN0SS28B20151103

TDIintheLOU

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL

rac

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
VW pulling ABS Lease Deal

Searching the thread has become tough, so forgive any re-posting.

Subsequent to yesterday's news on diesel Cayennes and more today on possible CO2 emissions problems, VW postponed (cancelled) an ABS lease deal that had been in the market: $505mm Porsche Innovative Lease Owner Trust 2015-2.

Also, Barclays is citing Kelley Blue Book data showing diesel resale values have dropped about 13% since the story broke.

rick_deckard

TDI
2014 Golf TDI Sun/Nav
VW.com is now showing "502 Bad Gateway" and not loading. Seems like the new allegations are delaying their sign-then-drive event...

TCBinaflash

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
That's the party line. My dealership...as well as others (if you look at dealership inventories online)...have a vehicle inventory that makes them look more like used car lots than Volkswagen dealerships. i.e. My dealership. 80 vehicles in stock. Only 20 are new Volkswagens.

Edit: If things were going that well, they wouldn't have to resort to selling primarily used vehicles (mostly non-VW).

I'll give you that for sure, drove by 2 dealers today and notice very few new vehicles in sight. Maybe 15-20 between them both.

linewarbr

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE DSG (bought back Feb 2017)
What are the odds VW does a buyback of affected vehicles? The more I think about this, the more I think that's the only way they can continue to sell vehicles in the US.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Did you read what I was responding to?

Good god, the diesel paranoia is running rampant out here.....
Yes, I have read all 11,000 (or what ever) posts in this thread. You are continually talking about what how this fix is going to degrade your car to less than what you bought. Until the fix (or fixes) are announced and agreed upon by VW, EPA, and CARB, and probably Environment Canada by now, no one knows what those fixes are going to do to performance or mileage. It's all speculation. Add to that the vast number of owners, like myself, that are probably not going to do anything with their car(s), and the level of misinformation just gets deeper.

TCBinaflash

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Here is some more misinformation from VW

"Under the ongoing review of all processes and workflows in connection with diesel engines it was established that the CO2 levels and thus the fuel consumption figures for some models were set too low during the CO2 certification process. The majority of the vehicles concerned have diesel engines."

So no we have a CO2 and NOX emission issue possibly. The slope was already slippery, I don't think the situation is getting any better since day 1 on this fiasco.

Torque17

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Reliability & VW???

Here is an excerpt from NBC today.....

In talks with the authorities — whom Volkswagen did not identify — the company said it hoped to come up with a "reliable assessment of the legal, and the subsequent economic consequences of this not yet fully explained issue."

.......funny, VW wants reliability...(ironic: they can't deliver it)...:D

linewarbr

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE DSG (bought back Feb 2017)
Yes, I have read all 11,000 (or what ever) posts in this thread. You are continually talking about what how this fix is going to degrade your car to less than what you bought. Until the fix (or fixes) are announced and agreed upon by VW, EPA, and CARB, and probably Environment Canada by now, no one knows what those fixes are going to do to performance or mileage. It's all speculation. Add to that the vast number of owners, like myself, that are probably not going to do anything with their car(s), and the level of misinformation just gets deeper.
Hear, hear. If I decide to keep my TDI, I am not thrilled at the idea of a software update that makes it go through AdBlue like it's got a leak and EGR soot gumming up the intake. My fear of the worst makes me jittery.

Trying to decide whether or not to jump on the class-action lawsuit - though the award would likely go primarily to the lawyers.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Trying to decide whether or not to jump on the class-action lawsuit - though the award would likely go primarily to the lawyers.
Buried somewhere in either this thread or another thread, I had recounted the outcome of the class action lawsuit on my Toyota Corolla. Due to the sticky accelerator issue, all Toyotas lost value. There was a massive class action and all owners were sent a check to cover the loss of value. IIRC, mine was around $20. Actual loss in value would have only mattered if I sold it, but $20 didn't even come close to the car site value drops.

Torque17

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Air Intake Clean Up

Hear, hear. If I decide to keep my TDI, I am not thrilled at the idea of a software update that makes it go through AdBlue like it's got a leak and EGR soot gumming up the intake. My fear of the worst makes me jittery.
curious...what are the options to have the intake cleaned up? Anyway the fuel additive cleaner "Power Service" will help? If not, will it require to open up the engine/cylinders and do the walnut blast? And what is the typical cost? And how frequently/miles?

Furthermore, if AdBlue used primarily to scrub NOx, the EGR valve activation must be minimal, no? Prolly, the experts can chime in..

Status
Not open for further replies.