Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockwater

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, manual
I was wondering when these offers would start rolling out, heck I bet you can get a decent deal on a nice 328d, sales of those are gonna fall like a rock just by association
Nice to know that someone will buy it but I'm going to stick this out. Of course, the offer price can only go down if any flaws are found during the inspection. No panic here.

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium 6MT, 2004 Jetta TDI GLS (sold)
After the recall neuters it, I'm going to re flash it to make it use even *MORE* fuel. Just to piss off the eco-weenies.
If I was a tuner, I would be figuring out how to scale up my install business. I would also be redoubling my efforts on OBD2 flashing.

I still dont think there will be a mandatory recall, in the US, but Ive been wrong before. ;)

cowgirlkaboom

TDI
2011 Golf
I'd like to ride a horse myself, but hitching posts are so hard to find these days and they're not allowed on several of the local bridges.
Yep, I would also. But it wouldn't be fair to subject my horses to the tire squealing college students around here. I'm sure the eco-folks would then complain about pollution created by hay/grain/supplement production. EPA already has a manure management program.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Given his knowledge of these cars and his expertise in tuning, I wish that RocketChip would offer some insight here.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I don't think people want a handout...I think most people just want to be squared away (financially). I.e. Myself. I began the process of shopping for a new car a couple weeks before this hit (I wanted something bigger). Fast-forward a couple weeks and I'm stuck with a car that I don't want...and I'm pretty much stuck with until this whole situation is resolved.
Keep in mind...VW intentionally dic*** people over here. We aren't talking about some perceived slight that someone is wanting to "get paid" for.
There may be a 30 day grace period, go back to the dealer and tell them they can take it back, no ones forcing you to drive it

ChemMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI
Yet another reminder: we owners are victims. We bought our cars in good faith. Most of us need our cars and are not going to dump a perfectly serviceable automobile just because VW defrauded us.
+1. Blaming owners for vehicles they were lied to about is horrible.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
How many groups of people can you offend in one post? I'm impressed!
I counted five, with a few repeats.:p I guess it depends on what is considered a group.

Really, just offend each group once per post, please. Us Oregonians are easily confused, because of how stupid we all are. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
A bare minimum of civility would be nice. Some of these posts are unpleasant to read.

VWturbodiesel

TDI
Passat Tdi
Oh really, Why don't you drive some electric or even more bicycle?
I'm actually bike to work 2 days a week at least. So you don't show me road to clean environment. You are driving "clean diesel", and you should know by now it's not environmental friendly, it's still using fossil fuel, if we are putting on side the NOx level. I got it just because fuel economy, since gas was 4+ $ at that time, and resale value for diesel cars.

So to me resale value is #1. I can repeat for you I don't care about NOx level, due we are, as people, doing more damage than VW TDi, even it's 11 millions of them.

Hmmm.... makes sense... reducing NOx and cleaning our air so we don't have smog isn't worth it because there will still be other problems...... wait.... what?

ChemMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI
There may be a 30 day grace period, go back to the dealer and tell them they can take it back, no ones forcing you to drive it
30 day grace period? Are you sure this isn't an urban legend? Even if it exists somewhere it certainly isn't universal.

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
I'm in Ontario. Not sure that's anywhere near earth but here there is a lemon law. 30 days you can take it back to the dealer with no hassle.

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
As far as public transportation, I loved it when I lived in DC and Boston. However, out here on the the west coast I have yet to be impressed. A bus takes 1:27 with one transfer to get 5 miles to my house. Meanwhile you'll get talked up by drug addicts, people just getting out of jail and intoxicated people in general. I'm very glad the intoxicated people are on the bus but not driving, but gives me zero incentive to use it. I once had a boss ask me if I had been drinking before work because of the oder. I had one job I could cycle to, but it isn't safe to do that here as you will have to pass through homeless encampments and deal with the onslaught of students at the start of the semester with $200k sports cars.
You forgot to mention the bed bugs, which are now found on public transit.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
We don't know exactly why the Passat doesn't pass. We do know that the dosing rate is one third of what it should be, and that it emits way more NOx than is allowed. It is possible that in addition to the low DEF dosing, the SCR is too small for the application. We won't know for sure until VW offers us a solution that can be analyzed, or until some independent with deep pockets does it first.
Thank you. Knew you would comment if you saw it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
Re-flashing the software or refusing the recall WOULD be deliberate. That's what I'm referring to.

If VW cannot fix it and leave it performing as well as it did before, power wise and mileage wise. I will refuse it. Unless they compensate me for the loss.

I am not alone here, I am sure.

Rivergoer

TDI
09 Jetta TDI Sedan
Sorry...

Civility? From someone who drives a death spewing, baby killing, Earth destroying VW TDI? Methinks you expect too much... :rolleyes:

..."death spewing, baby killing, Earth destroying VW TDI"...

The humor value of this thread is worth the price of admission. Screw Monday Night Football...LOL

(With apologies to the moderators, sorreee) :)

VWturbodiesel

TDI
Passat Tdi
You just forgot one big factors are
1. Drill, either ocean or land
2. Pump oil
3. Transport oil to refinery
4. Produce fuel
5. Recycle left products from oil
6. Transport to distribution warhorse
7. Transport top gas stations
8. Pump this fuel to car.

Just drilling are killing environment.

Where: Lithium sits on top of the land, like in the Bolivia. Lithium battery is recycling very clean process. I know those cars are maybe is not perfect but in the few decades from now, we will have more electric cars than gas or diesel.

I don't see the reason to buy diesel sedan, since gas engines do almost same mpg as diesel. The diesel trucks are still in the business.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
If VW cannot fix it and leave it performing as well as it did before, power wise and mileage wise. I will refuse it. Unless they compensate me for the loss.

I am not alone here, I am sure.
You aren't.

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
All you naysayers..... Hardy har har

So those of you that have always been so anti mod.... Because of emissions and such...... I find this debacle kind of ironic and maybe just a tad funny...

Diesel on folks!

There may be some really good buys on sweet TDi's in the not too distant future!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Can't handle the truth?
I think after I found him, beat the crap out of him, then educate him that IN SPITE OF the NOX problem, my TDI is STILL cleaner than his <insert his make / model of car> - and that he should get the WHOLE story before spreading BS....

Jack-DE

TDI
Mk6 Golf TDI (gone)
FWIW, I had the following "intermediate" update/recall performed on my 2013 Mk6 Golf TDI last May:

ECM Software Update VW ACTION CODE 23O6
START DATE 04-07-2015

DESCRIPTION
The vehicle's engine management software has been improved to assure your vehicle's tailpipe emissions are optimized and operating efficiently. Under certain operating conditions, the earlier strategy may have increased the chance of the vehicle's MIL light illuminating. If the MIL illuminates for any reason, your vehicle will not pass an IM emissions inspection in some regions.

After the update, I started measuring my MPG with the Fuelly app and I am pretty much in sync with the EPA estimate of 42 MPG on the highway and not in the higher 40s as many owners do report with their TDIs. So I believe VW actually made the move and turned the emission control system on full-time with the above recall but apparently that was not sufficient to please the EPA. Right now I speculate that I am not spitting out 40 times the allowed limit of NOx but I am certainly still above the limit. I am wondering if there are any reports on the NOx emission of our cars after the above recall. I saw this letter by CARB but I am wondering about actual numbers.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/in_use_compliance_letter.pdf

Anyone else who had this done?

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
So when is someone going to get the balls to take their brand new VW financed car up to VW Headquarters, fill out some protest forms and let anyone take a baseball bat to their car?

I'm not condoning this and am on the side of everyone chilling out, but it would make for some interested news!
Well I could go to VW Headquarters it's about 10 minutes from my house.And hold up a sign that said I still love my TDI, please keep TDI in north American.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.