Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

splatkid10

TDI
2009 JETTA TDI
Personally, this is a bit of a bummer. I don't really care about my one car's emissions. Call me selfish, stupid, whatever - but at the end of the day I love how my TDI drives and the fact that I'm putting out more pollutants stinks....but oh well.

Curious to see how VW engineers solve this problem.

Anyone else buying VW stock this morning?

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 red JSW TDI base model
TDI Club donation being sent today...

There is a side benefit to all of this. It's proving out any performance enhancements made to the forum and how load it can realistically take. Probably seen the most IOPs in the past few days than an entire month!
Good time to support the site!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Thanks!

Scott, it's being discussed and worked on behind the scenes right now. This thread is contained and VeeDubTDI and other moderators are deleting others that people start to keep it from spreading. The last thing anyone needs or wants is a VWVortex type site.
Another point about unsubscribing here just happened as I made my last post: About a dozen comments were made and I almost missed your comment. I'd rather read a slower-moving thread with only factual content and no responses. This is big news and is worthy of keeping us informed. But this is a terrible thread for finding info.

Scott

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
I'd rather have the EPA around than not. Before they started regulating emissions from cars, trucks and from factories we had rivers catching on fire, prolific smog in many cities, acid rain in the Northeast, widespread ait pollution shortening the lives of Americans, fish that were toxic to eat out of the river (we still have issues with that, but it's alot better than it was 20 years ago) etc etc.

Dealing with these things issues has made America a better place to live and made the economy stronger.

Now the kids can run fast enough to get away when they a TDI coming down the road! :D

Yeah, but one thing you are forgetting. All the dirty manufacturing has moved to China, which is a big reason our environment in the US is cleaner.

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
Same case here in Michigan. Send your registration and state park pass fee (optional) and you're golden for a year. I'm curious if there will be any measure of compliance here.

It would be funny to me if I had to jump through hoops to re-register my TDI while I also have a 15 MPG Jeep Wrangler in the garage.
I'm also in MI (not far from Brighton) and it is extremely unlikely this will cause any issues for us regarding registration. They have not taken that step for serious safety issues that go unresolved. They aren't going to bother with this. As long as the title is clean our version of the DMV is happy to take the money and issue the sticker.

Once the hysteria dies down we will see what VW has to offer as a solution and they will be hit with a fine similar to what other manufacturers have been hit with recently. They will not pay the max penalties, the cars won't explode, and the world isn't going to end.

Some of these people need to go outside for a walk or possibly rub one out. Calm the heck down.

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
They sold a product with false claims even cheated the public knowing the vehicle was not right. A buyback of my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI is the only acceptable option I see.

If not a lifetime warranty on the engine, transmission and exhuast system because you don't know how or what results of the changes they will make will have in the vehicle. Obviously they knew it was substandard and had to cheat to try and make it right.
They probably won't buy back your car. I don't think they'll have as much trouble meeting the regs with the '15 and '16 TDIs as with the '09 to '14 cars, as VW is claiming that the newer ones are cleaner and already meet the Euro standards without the fudge.

The '09 to '14 cars are the big issue especially in the US and will cost VW big time unless a compromise is reached.

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
They probably won't buy back your car. I don't think they'll have as much trouble meeting the regs with the '15 and '16 TDIs as with the '09 to '14 cars, as VW is claiming that the newer ones are cleaner and already meet the Euro standards without the fudge.

The '09 to '14 cars are the big issue especially in the US and will cost VW big time unless a compromise is reached.

I think a compromise will be reached. Some politician(s) will take a payoff and push a compromise consisting of a fine only thru the EPA.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
The Tagesspiegel newspaper, citing unidentified sources on Volkswagen's supervisory board, said the board would decide on Friday to replace Winterkorn with Matthias Mueller, the head of the automaker's Porsche sports car business.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Done with this thread. Signal to noise is about 0.001. No one cares what you think about the EPA or Obama. All the whining in this thread makes us, the TDI community, look like a bunch of paranoid, denialist wackos. I am ashamed to be a part of this community. Mods, are you asleep?
Of course the signal to noise ratio is .001. In the internet age of instant gratification, everyone wants to have their opportunity to discuss, even if they don't educate themselves on the situation first. Compound that with the limited information that was introduced over the weekend, and what you end up with is a bunch of people asking questions on repeat... that's just the way it works.

We have worked very hard to separate out the good information and copy it to the first post of the thread. Next, we are going to create a new FAQ thread that will contain all of the pertinent information without allowing discussions.

If you have any moderating advice to share, I'm all ears. :rolleyes:

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
Personally, this is a bit of a bummer. I don't really care about my one car's emissions. Call me selfish, stupid, whatever - but at the end of the day I love how my TDI drives and the fact that I'm putting out more pollutants stinks....but oh well.
Curious to see how VW engineers solve this problem.
Anyone else buying VW stock this morning?
OK - you're selfish!

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
If there really is 11M vehicles that will need to be "fixed", I don't see how it's even remotely possible that 7.3 billion proposed can handle that.

I also have no idea how long of a process this could possibly take. It seems completely unrealistic of the EPA to assume that VW will be able to pull this off.

I guess we will find out.
11 million cars have the defeat-software in question. However, its unlikely all 11 million cars would need to be 'fixed'. A lot of those cars are liable to be in countries which won't require the fix.

VW will be putting teams of lawyers to work - with the task of figuring out the exact minimum they need to do, based on each country in question.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
NIMBY-ism and selective outrage and smugness is a hallmark of the progressive eco movement.
A guy driving Golf TDI for 10 years is responsible for substantially less pollution in this world than a guy buying a new Tesla every 3 years.
exactly. It's the precise reason I do not like windpower... I've watched as they have blasted 30ft of ledge off the top of mountains and buit roads that washed out, and caused migratory birds to go elsewhere, all so that someone in another state can feel good about wind power. everything has a cause and effect, including the cars we drive, the cereal we eat, etc. All the better reason to realize that not everything is what it seems on the surface, so take time and wait for the facts to unfold. Sure, things go slower that way, but it usually ends better when prudence is taken to develop judgement. signing off this thread now as it's outlived usefulness.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
He hasn't resigned yet, though, and apparently a VW spokesman has called that claim "ridiculous".

He is Sorry, though:

Martin Winterkorn said:
I’m very sorry, I’m utterly sorry. The violations of these diesel motors by our company go against everything that Volkswagen stands for....at this time I don’t yet have the answers to all the questions. I’m utterly sorry that we have damaged trust in this way. I offer my deepest apologies to our customers, the authorities and to the public at large for our misconduct.
(I believe translated from the original German by the Telegraph)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...W-issues-profit-warning-sets-aside-6.5bn.html

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
I think 2009-2015 TDI's that do not get altered as part of a recall will bring a premium price in the coming years. They will be known as the last of the great mileage TDI's. No one will be touching mine with any kind of detune, or whatever it may entail.....unless it somehow, miraculously doesn't affect performance and efficiency.

I don't believe my car puts out anything more polluting than anything else I see driving around - and honestly, roast me if you like.....I don't care if it does.

TDI
'12 Passat
Where we go from here beyond speculation?
Volkswagen is a global brand with a market cap of $62-$80 BILLION depending on if you woke up yesterday or this morning. The fact that the brand moniker itself was hit directly creates a trust issue.
Trusted figures will present the findings and clear the air to the public through mass media through the end of the year while VAG spends a portion of that potential $18B to get in a position to negotiate down to $1.8B then present current owners with a "fix" that does in fact impact reliability and mpg but then compensates them with $750 cash per year owned and going forward with free lifetime powertrain maintenance.
Since no one has responded to the information I provided, its safe to say the hive mind is in relative agreement to what I've predicted happens in the next stages of this debacle. To support what I said will happen first I offer what was said last night specifically to "regaining trust and providing clarity":

Marthy

TDI
2015 GSW-6M
I worked in the racing industry for about 20 years, most of it at a professional level. This is the race team dream to cheat for as long as VW did without getting cough! LOL

The facts are out there and somebody is going to show up with a briefcase full of $$$ and things are going to be alright. People that are ECO friendly will get there flash. Some of us will try to keep it as is and some will still perform the Malone ECU flash... just because that's what they want. Plenty of company here that have been reflashing ECU for a long time, none of them got a 158 pages A$$ rimming session as far as I know.

So let's all chill and enjoy our ride as much as we did few days ago.

Cheers!

Cool Breeze

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335D
11 million cars have the defeat-software in question. However, its unlikely all 11 million cars would need to be 'fixed'. A lot of those cars are liable to be in countries which won't require the fix.
VW will be putting teams of lawyers to work - with the task of figuring out the exact minimum they need to do, based on each country in question.
They're setting aside $7B per the WSJ. WSJ reader comments are hilarious as they really don't know what they're talking about.

Last edited:

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
Yup. Let the head rolling begin. And by the way, I think this ins being blown out of proportion. Internal combustion engines pollute, period. And they all, more or less, contribute to climate change. Long term solution? It's here already, the electric car. This single event could be the catalyst to accelerate the move towards "cleaner" energy for transportation. In the mean time, let me enjoy my ride, OK? Thanks.

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
Again, this is just talk.
Manufacturing an entire new car involves massive amounts of pollution, not to mention a carbon footprint. Being 'eco-friendly' in reality rather than for show would involved sticking to a car for much much longer.

VW claimed the CR TDIs to be "Clean Diesel" and folks chose them over much cleaner options, some with better much mpg, based on the VW lie.
Like what? What is the clean $22k car out there putting out more mileage? And if you are going to say Prius, then please let me know the battery manufacturing process is 'clean.'

And yes, there has to be a worldwide effort to reduce toxic pollution - that is a bigger issue. We need to know the environmental costs of our actions.
Understatement of the century! If people did, they would be driving econo-hatchboxes for 10 years or till it ran to the ground, instead of going for shiny new things and talking about minimizing their eco footprints!

The argument for buying a TDI was to get higher fuel mileage and more power compared to gasses putting out similar mileage. That is pretty much it. VW delivered there (a bit too much apparently).

They did so by cheating on nonsensical standards set down by a bureaucracy. No one is defending them for doing so.

But I fail to see the point of those defending those standards.

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
Some of us who owned VW TDIs prior to 2009 opted to avoid the post-2009 models due to the added/expensive Rube Goldberg emission systems which are so prone to failure and so expensive to replace, for any post-2007 USA diesel.

Some of us posted about our concerns on this site before we voted with our wallets and bought gasoline-powered cars instead.

I doubt any of us imagined that VW would *cheat* to pass the tests, but turns out they did. It's amazing and egregious. I hope we hear from the apparently ethics-free programmers who did it - what is their story - who else knew about the cheating, and when?

Fixing the Rube Goldberg emissions-control machine by adding more Rube Goldberg is absurd, of course. From engineering basis, best solution is DPF-delete, but that's not good from environmental basis. So it remains a no-win situation for the diesel vehicle owners.

Best wishes to all of the VW TDI owners affected by the lying-liarism and cheating-cheaterism of VW.

It's nice that the 2-reg TDI is not on the cheater-list. But probably the resale value of the non-cheater TDIs is also diminished due to "guilt by association".

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI

I know a buyback is a long shot and they claim to be cleaner in 15/16. They also claimed to pass EPA specs before getting busted.. They have no credibility now.

dst5

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2013 TDI
Gee, less power, less MPG, less fun. Stupid, overreaching EPA. This is an easy one. If I can get away with it, I won't bring my car in for the recall service.
Try criminal VW if they couldn't make the car to meet regs that people would buy than don't sell them. Corporate greed is what sparked this criminal activity. They didn't want to lose sales so they cheated.

SageBrush

Veteran Member
TDI
None
It isn't the law, it is a regulation. There is a big difference. A law is passed by the representatives of the people who were voted for. A regulation is created by the EPA in a vacuum. If we don't agree with it, then it should be changed.
So off tangent, but I just don't understand this vacuum of basic US government functioning.

FYI:

The US Congress passes laws
The Executive must implement those laws
The implementation is through regulations and rulings of the executive office

If you do not like the implementation because you think it is not consistent with the law then ask the judicial for a remedy.
If you do not like the implementation for any other reason, complain to, or try to change the executive in the next election.

If you don't like this setup then try to change the constitution.

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI 5-spd
More news:
Merkel is pissed:
"Given the difficult situation, this is about showing complete transparency, clearing up the entire case. The Transport Minister is in close contact with the company, Volkswagen. And I hope that the facts will be put on the table as quickly as possible."
And from that same article: "Today, [VW] employs more than half a million people worldwide, across divisions including Audi, Bentley, Seat and Lamborghini as well as the VW marque."

UK environmental organization Transport & Environment claims that 90% of diesel cars (regardless of manufacturer) that they tested fail emissions standards and implicates other companies in the cheat:
Through trickery, the gap between official fuel economy figures and those achieved by an average driver have grown to 40%. For new diesel cars nitrogen oxide emissions are typically five times higher on the road than the allowed limit and just one in 10 cars meets the required level on the road. But for some models the gap is so large T&E suspects that the car is able to detect when it is tested using a “defeat device” and artificially lowers emissions during the test. For example [*]: a diesel Audi A8 tested in Europe produced nitrogen oxide emissions 21.9 times over the legal limit on the road; a BMW X3 diesel was 9.9 times over the limit on the road; an Opal Zafira Tourer, 9.5 times; Citroen C4 Picasso 5.1 times. All these vehicles passed the laboratory test.

[*] Source: A compilation of data from respected testing authorities around Europe by Transport & Environment (T&E).

Evildad

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Volkswagen Stock Falls as Automaker Tries to Contain Fallout

The latest news is also about VW's dropping stock.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/22/business/international/volkswagen-shares-recall.html
Fitch Ratings said the E.P.A. action, and the prospect of billions of dollars in penalties, could affect Volkswagen’s debt rating, even though the automaker has ample financial resources. The accusations “could seriously undermine the group’s brand image, particularly in the U.S., where Volkswagen is already struggling to increase its market share,” Fitch said in a statement Monday.
But although VW sells these "clean" diesels all over the world, the US has the most stringent pollution rules. Does anyone know if the TDIs, as presently produced, actually violate the emissions regs in Europe and China?
More than half of all vehicles sold in Europe are diesels. They are popular because they typically offer better fuel economy than gasoline. For years, the E.U. put a priority on fuel economy rather than emissions and set standards for the engines that were much more lax than in the United States.
But while all the hoopla is about diesels, which everyone admits VW doesn't sell that many in the US, the most profitable cars in the VW group don't carry the VW label. And the vast majority of VW's stock is privately held.
And while Volkswagen’s reputation has probably been damaged, its most profitable vehicles in the United States are Porsche sports cars — none of which are affected by the E.P.A. action — and Audi cars, only one model of which is affected...Yet, Volkswagen is relatively immune to stock market pressure because only 12 percent of its voting shares are traded. Porsche Automobil Holding, controlled by members of the Porsche family, holds a slight majority. The German state of Lower Saxony owns 20 percent, and the sovereign wealth fund of Qatar owns 17 percent.
So lets recap. This is big bad news in the US, but VW is already struggling in the US market. VW sells lots of cars under lots of marques worldwide. Only 12% of VW stock is publicly held, and VW has boatloads of cash on hand. VW's most-profitable cars are luxury models unaffected by the hooplah, and they'll continue to sell like crazy. So VW will weather this storm.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Brian,

Agreed. Not looking to lock this one. Keep this crap in one place. But I want to unsubscribe so I stop seeing it in my feed. Even if all I look at is the top post, I have no way of knowing whether it has changed without looking at it frequently.

My thought, and what it looks like VeeDubTDI is going to do(?), is create a closed thread with the pertinent info. People who want the news can subscribe and then get notifications ONLY when a mod adds something worthy (as a new response) instead of every little rant from a wide variety of forum members.

Is that doable?

Thanks!
We're working on creating a new locked thread, perhaps in the TDI News/Tech session that will have regular updates of the facts as they unfold. You will be able to subscribe to that thread for information updates and unsubscribe from this discussion thread. This discussion thread will live on for people who want to discuss the issues.

Please be patient with us, as some of us also have jobs that require our attention from time to time. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.