Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

md1037

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Sorry I am somewhat of a diesel and TDI noob, but I bought a 2015 GSW last month. It has an AdBlue nozzle, so I assume it has a urea system.

I assume some of the TDIs in question do not have this? What is the implication for cars with or without?

I've heard that a fix for cars with urea may just increase the amount of fluid used, but not MPG or performance. Does this sound plausible?

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
you could start complaining, or you can just keep driving it. this isn't like some cheap weedwacker made in china that broke after the second use... the car still works and gets better than stated fuel economy in many cases. It's not spewing big black clouds of soot, its still quite clean and efficient. no one was here complaining that they got better fuel economy than the window sticker stated prior to Friday.... In fact, the majority of the number of folks that signed up for an account in Sept. seem to just be passing through to figure out how to wrangle cash for their hurt, or just to let us all know how wronged you feel. I for one wish that VW didn't do this either but pushing the boundries happens when the yardstick is moved too fast. it happens in sports, racing, school, and work. that makes it no less forgivable. now all of a sudden, everyone is an environmentalist here(i am guessing that may be influenced by the thoughts of something free).
just drive the car if you like how it drove before last friday and wait and see how they will remedy it for us. there are plenty of schools that could use your volunteer hours vs. wasting it on this thread. (I already did my good deeds for the day LOL)
We weren't complaining about high MPG before - but we're worried about the MPG after the fix. 42 highway was much lower than the Prius's 50 in 2010.
I think most folks, especially newer TDI buyers, bought VWs because they claimed to be "clean". Turns out the Prius would have been much cleaner, with much better MPG and less total cost of ownership.

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
Gee, less power, less MPG, less fun. Stupid, overreaching EPA. This is an easy one. If I can get away with it, I won't bring my car in for the recall service.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Oh, and I told my wife to avoid driving next to any sidewalks this morning on her commute to work. The exhaust might kill people instantly.

I was/am being sarcastic. Lots of jump to conclusion people are talking about how horrible they feel for driving a VW diesel now...I'm sitting here thinking of how cheap I will be able to buy another one in the coming months.

BTW, Autoblog is now reporting that its 11 million vehicles worldwide that are under investigation.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/22/11m-vw-diesels-affected-porsche-audi-under-investigation/
Funny how no one tailgates me anymore for fear of instantly dieing from over exposure to NOx.... :rolleyes:

MrVermin

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
We weren't complaining about high MPG before - but we're worried about the MPG after the fix. 42 highway was much lower than the Prius's 50 in 2010.
I think most folks, especially newer TDI buyers, bought VWs because they claimed to be "clean". Turns out the Prius would have been much cleaner, with much better MPG and less total cost of ownership.

Have you driven a Prius?. What a snoozer. It's no wonder why the Prius runs quiet--they don't want to wake the driver.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
we don't have emissions testing in good ol red neck FL.

I've seen black smoke come out of more vehicles down here then I'd care to express.

The only way it would become an issue is if the State got involved with making sure each car was updated at renewal registration. Which I don't see FL doing.

i'm guessing for me there will be some kind of flag at the station - they will run a check/scan to make sure the software has been updated, and if not, no sticker

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
How is this in anyway the EPA overreaching? They worked with VW for over a year to bring the cars into compliance.
Because the emissions are too stringent. And the EPA is not mentioned in the US Constitution. Therefore, anything the EPA does is an overreach.

romroc

TDI
United States
you could start complaining, or you can just keep driving it. this isn't like some cheap weedwacker made in china that broke after the second use... the car still works and gets better than stated fuel economy in many cases. It's not spewing big black clouds of soot, its still quite clean and efficient. no one was here complaining that they got better fuel economy than the window sticker stated prior to Friday.... In fact, the majority of the number of folks that signed up for an account in Sept. seem to just be passing through to figure out how to wrangle cash for their hurt, or just to let us all know how wronged you feel. I for one wish that VW didn't do this either but pushing the boundries happens when the yardstick is moved too fast. it happens in sports, racing, school, and work. that makes it no less forgivable. now all of a sudden, everyone is an environmentalist here(i am guessing that may be influenced by the thoughts of something free).
just drive the car if you like how it drove before last friday and wait and see how they will remedy it for us. there are plenty of schools that could use your volunteer hours vs. wasting it on this thread. (I already did my good deeds for the day LOL)

Nobody is listening to you. Are you OK with fraudulent business practices or just a fan of totalitarianist workings? YOU just keep driving-- off the nearest pier. We are hurting.

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
Just sent. Had to figure out the CAD/USD conversion rate since Paypal didn't tell me upfront it was in CAD.
+1. Indeed, Can$, forgot the Loonie is worth more today than 5 years ago. Great thread, great forum, even though there isn't a diesel in my stable at the moment.

I think of this site like community radio. Invaluable that it's here with relevant info for the community, and it will stay around if regular users just chip in a little.

rhino4evr

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
i'm guessing for me there will be some kind of flag at the station - they will run a check/scan to make sure the software has been updated, and if not, no sticker
Let me re-state this. There is no station. In order to renew my registration I send a check in the mail or pay online. There is no inspection process, no questionnaire or checks and balance procedure, nothing. The sticker comes in the mail within 3-5 business days.

You can even register in 2 year increments and save money. I won't have to worry about registration until 2016, I renewed my registration in 2014.

It's been like this in Florida for over a decade.

Mad_Max

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta 5sp
Looks like VW CEO will resign because of this scandal:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...W-issues-profit-warning-sets-aside-6.5bn.html

It also made VW stock (Volkswagen AG) drop from $170 to $107 in two days.

I'm guessing there will be more "heads on the stakes" before it is settles down.
I love my my TDI which luckily is not affected by this mess (mine is '06).
Now it will be hard for VW to sell "clean diesel" slogan even though it is still pollutes less than most cars.

Max

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
we don't have emissions testing in good ol red neck FL.

I've seen black smoke come out of more vehicles down here then I'd care to express.

The only way it would become an issue is if the State got involved with making sure each car was updated at renewal registration. Which I don't see FL doing.
In ONT Canada, the emissions testing for light duty diesel is to plug the car into a computer, turn the key to accesory, wait for the computer to signal that there are no "Not-Ready Faults", hand over $$ to emissions tester, drive away. The car is not visually inspected nor started.

MrVermin

colekicker

TDI
2010 JSW w/ DSG HPFP failure at 79K, 137K and clogged DPF
Seems like a Snow Performance style system could be configured for Urea injection that would inject the Urea into the exhaust system through a weld in bung ahead of the DPF. It would require a pump, tank, hoses and fittings as well as an interface with the car to use the engines sensors and parameters and a tuning table to inject X-amount when X-conditions are present... Really I would think the parts could be something like $500-1500 with a half day of labor to install. With OE help and a high end aftermarket company VW could sub-contract the retrofit and upgrade for the non DEF TDIs to bring them into compliance...

What do you think???
Not likely that this option will work. Dozing units are complex and not just squirted in. You will need sensors before and after the reaction point. You would need a DOC in place for the reaction to take place in, not just the exhaust tubing. You would need a DEF tank, filter and a ECU for the DEF system. Not an easy fix.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Because the emissions are too stringent. And the EPA is not mentioned in the US Constitution. Therefore, anything the EPA does is an overreach.
That's not how that works.

Congress is granted the power to regulate interstate commerce, emissions affect interstate commerce, and the EPA's powers derive from the Clean Air Act, which is an act of Congress.

Speedster

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB TDI 5M, 2002 Jetta TDI 5M & 2012 Jetta TDI 6M
Abacus, that was well stated. The EPA is not the fried of the environment or that of any citizen. I also do not agree with VW on their action, but having also been in the business of fighting government agencies, I understand very well. No one will get my TDI to reflash the computer, etc.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Nobody is listening to you. Are you OK with fraudulent business practices or just a fan of totalitarianist workings? YOU just keep driving-- off the nearest pier. We are hurting.

You are 'hurting'? Oh please, if you are hurting because VW played with the programming perhaps there are underlying issues that need addressing.

And suggesting someone drive off the nearest pier is just uncalled for. If you can't keep it civil perhaps you should take some time off.

rhino4evr

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
In ONT Canada, the emissions testing for light duty diesel is to plug the car into a computer, turn the key to accesory, wait for the computer to signal that there are no "Not-Ready Faults", hand over $$ to emissions tester, drive away. The car is not visually inspected nor started.

MrVermin
No computers, no stations, no anything in Florida. You don't even need to get in your vehicle. You can renew from the comfort of your john using your mobile phone.

I realize this isn't the case for everyone, especially in CA, where it seems they frisk you at renewal each year.

Aquaticmind

Veteran Member
Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

So you don't think there should be a NTSB, or USDA, or NFS, or Department of Homeland Security or Army Corp of Engineers?? No health inspecting for your food, or requirements of what makes a road or bridge safe enough for the public to drive on?

The standard may be too stringent but unless your basing it off good science it's just an unfounded opinion. But alas I must be off quickly to horse and buggy since that is what the Founding Fathers would have driven.

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
Have you driven a Prius?. What a snoozer. It's no wonder why the Prius runs quiet--they don't want to wake the driver.
I did not even imply that the Prius would have been as much fun to drive - but it's more important to me that I make as little impact to the air quality as possible, and VW lied to me. The Prius is as popular as it is because people are trying to do their best for the future...I'll forego the "fun" TDI for less emissions and higher MPG...

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
Let me re-state this. There is no station. In order to renew my registration I send a check in the mail or pay online. There is no inspection process, no questionnaire or checks and balance procedure, nothing. The sticker comes in the mail within 3-5 business days.

You can even register in 2 year increments and save money. I won't have to worry about registration until 2016, I renewed my registration in 2014.

It's been like this in Florida for over a decade.

That's why I started the comment by stating "for me" as in - here in Massachusetts....

Status
Not open for further replies.