Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
They only tested the X5, which is a competitor of the Touareg (which also is compliant). Not really an apples-to-apples test

What if they only tested the Touareg?
The BMW apple worked while the VW 4-cyl apple did not work... read my post, I was responding to other posts about VW cheating in their emissions system and other manufacturers (including VW in the Touareg as you point out) not cheating!!!! Other posts said that if VW is cheating all the other manufacturers must be cheating and that is not the case, at least no others have been caught yet!!!

dst5

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2013 TDI
Well, technically, their tests really didn't show other manufacturers were able to get the emissions on diesel engines to work in all conditions... just that it didn't work for the VW 2.0L TDI motor. It could be the larger displacement 3.0L BMW motor is just cleaner due to its size.

On that note, I agree with your last point. All this negative publicity may hide the fact that manufacturers are really close to a small displacement, clean burning diesel... but just aren't there quite yet.
Well, technically, their tests really didn't show other manufacturers were able to get the emissions on diesel engines to work in all conditions..

Well technically we never "proved tobacco causes cancer but we are 99.99 percent sure it does.

GMAB

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
Hmm.. sounds plausible - off to work on that... time to build on my previous work at getting XMradio in the ashtray way back when... (it still works too, even after 251K miles... well the cassette dies but now it has an improved line in phone audio input as well)http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=351545

now off to hook up a Urea container in the spare tire cavity of my wife's 2013 Golf TDI...:D (yeah.. right...)
TransientTDI has this and more in his TDI Wagon. It was neat to see ingenuity at TDIFest. I'm wiring up an arkpak now... Just in case I decide to goto stage 4.5 keurig

TO_TDI

TDI
'01 Jetta
Wrong in both posts.
See post #1738.
From GM literature:

'It has only one propulsion system, the lithium-ion battery powers the electric motor. The gas engine, when needed, creates electricity to power the motor.'

'The Flint built (1.6 l gas powered engine) turns just the generator to power the electric motor'.

tariq

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
Given the details of the situation, other than environmentally-conscious owners, most will want exactly that - to have their TDI's left alone.
However, the pending recall isn't intended for the benefit of TDI owners - its intended for the benefit of society at large, due to the toxicity of the emissions without the recall.
After the recall - which you may not be able to avoid (might be required in order to maintain registration) - you might change your mind about not wanting a buyback. You're likely to get lower MPG and lower torque.
If the recall is intended for the "benefit of society at large" and the EPA's mission is to actually fulfill that, then the EPA would have to force a buy back given that current owners would not choose to have their TDI's crippled (so many would not actually take them in for the "fix").

JettaJedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GL 5 spd, 2003 Jetta TDI GL 4dr 5 spd, 2017 Golf TSI Wolfsburg Edition
TransientTDI has this and more in his TDI Wagon. It was neat to see ingenuity at TDIFest. I'm wiring up an arkpak now... Just in case I decide to goto stage 4.5 keurig
LOL, Arkpak is sweet... Feed it with some solor panels on the roof - maybe that will make the EPA happy and forget all about the emissions ;)
I'll take two shots of that stage 4.5 keurig too.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
It takes very little resources to de tune via reprogramming, and it takes none for you, the end user, to pour def in the little blue spout every month.

Use your head people.
You get your DEF for free and it pours itself into the tank by itself:confused:

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Just when diesel fuel dropped below the price of gas.
That is exactly another reason the zealots are coming after VW TDIs.

When all is said and done, the idea is to force us consumers to ride on a horse and buggy and the politicians get to keep their limos.

THE HUNGER GAMES doesn't look that far fetched anymore.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
Anyone else consider buying stock in VW? It tanked 20% today...
I did first thing this am. Already back up 2.2% Good day trade right there but it will rebound more. China is already priced in and this will be a blip after the retail market forgets.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Given the details of the situation, other than environmentally-conscious owners, most will want exactly that - to have their TDI's left alone.
However, the pending recall isn't intended for the benefit of TDI owners - its intended for the benefit of society at large, due to the toxicity of the emissions without the recall.
After the recall - which you may not be able to avoid (might be required in order to maintain registration) - you might change your mind about not wanting a buyback. You're likely to get lower MPG and lower torque.
Is there a precedence for this draconian measure?

SageBrush

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Chrysler worked on a 2-cycle 3-Cylinder engine for cars, and it would not
pass emissions for USE in a car, but you can run the crap out of it on
a motorcycle, generator, or a boat! Tell me how that makes sense.
I agree that it does not, from a NOx pollution standpoint.

Two thoughts occur to me:

1. Cars are the major polluters so they get the most attention.
2. The pollution control costs are a relatively small fraction of the total car cost, unlike the case e.g. for a grass mower or blower or small generator.

I personally avoid all those products specifically because of their emissions but most people do not care or even know what is coming out of the exhaust. I think you are right though; they will get phased out in favor of electric devices. It seems to already be happening as the manufacturers can see the regulatory writing on the wall.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
No Worries, just ask for a Loaner, it's better then driving that toxic missile around, and endangering children
I had a loaner last week while my dealership fixed a paint issue with my JSW TDI. Trust me, you do not want a loaner, even if you could get one. Those base Jettas are crap. :(

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
If the recall is intended for the "benefit of society at large" and the EPA's mission is to actually fulfill that, then the EPA would have to force a buy back given that current owners would not choose to have their TDI's crippled (so many would not actually take them in for the "fix").
I'm not a lawyer, and the legal ramifications are so convoluted not even lawyers will necessarily get this right.

That said, I don't think it necessarily follows that VW will be forced to do a buyback.

My best guess: VW will be required to issue a recall, wherein the ECU will be reprogrammed. NOX emissions will go down, MPG & Torque will go down.

Whether or not owners will be able to avoid the recall is a separate question. My best guess - in many cases, they won't be able to avoid it. In much of the US, emissions tests are required - annually/bi-annually. If the emissions testing can't catch it, registration (required everywhere, as far as I know, in the US) might require proof of having complied with the recall.

We can all argue whether or not gubberment is good or evil - but its an ideological argument only. In reality, whether we like it or not, we're subject to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.