Volkswagen Unveils 272 HP 2-Liter Diesel Engine and 10-Speed DSG

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Torque band, or efficiency bands?

An engine can be very drivable with few ratio choices, but not have optimum efficiency in every condition.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
An engine can be very drivable with few ratio choices, but not have optimum efficiency in every condition.
I understand applications where an engine can be tuned for optimum whatever you are looking for...those engines run with a given load and RPM, but our cars don't go to extremes in efficiency by changing a few hundred RPM.

Its just getting silly.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
10 speeds seem too complicated to me
Also call me old fashioned but I do prefer a manual gearbox for driver enjoyment, although DSG's are very smooth and fast.

It's about time VW did something revolutionary with their diesel engines... ever since the Mk4 PD150, the increases have been very minor and not what I would expect from such as a clever car manufacturer, we are only up to 184bhp now in 2014 (in EU passenger cars), when over 10 years ago we were already at 150... seems a small gain.

Very excited to see what can be done with these engines if/when they come out for public consumption.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I drove an Audi Q5 with the 8 speed trans. That seems to be a sweet spot for the V6 diesel, as it is in the Touareg. In my Passat, I'm unsure if there would be as much benefit. I suppose it depends on the ratios chosen. It could probably drop the RPMs at freeway speeds a few hundred and pick up a few more MPG. That's what seems to be working for the Audi.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Bring on the gears, please! We have a lot of lost ground to make up for. Cars have been underperforming on economy for decades, versus what they're capable of.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Ten speed boxes is making these small displacement turbos viable drivetrains for the larger Passat/A7 type vehicles. The engineers can program the system to operate in the most efficient/emissions efficient manner possible.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I do prefer a manual gearbox for driver enjoyment, although DSG's are very smooth and fast.
And more complex and costly to repair. A manual transmission rarely needs to come out for anything unless the owner is abusive.

Also, I at least, bought a diesel for many reasons, one of them is for fuel economy, so unless I am pulling tree stumps out of my yard, more HP and torque are not on my priority list. And if it is for performance, I do not know of any stock production diesel cars in the 2 to 4 second segment. I have a Porsche for that.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
There are additional issues with DSG, yes. That being said, my old Mk5 GTI was DSG, owned it from 87k to 115k, with Stage 2 Revo software and Stage 1 Revo DSG map, and had no issues at all. Service it every 40k with genuine oil and filter and it "should" be fine.

There are lots of issues online that's true :)
But like anything do you ever post up to say "I bought a DSG gearbox and it DIDN'T break" :D

I presume you mean 2 to 4 second 0-60mph bracket?

Well, no, but diesels have previously been made for economy or mid range shove, diesels are historically bad off the line especially in front wheel drive cars.

These days you can buy large executive diesel saloons which do 60mph in around 5 seconds from the factory, and can do this repeatedly regardless of the conditions

BMW F30 2/3/435d xDrive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mS3pGLqqZY

A friends Dad has one, we went out in it, all 3 of us in there, we are all chunky monkeys and I've never felt acceleration from zero to 30 mph like it this side of a superbike.

Sure, it cannot beat the pure connection you have with a super/sports car and they will never be as responsive as a petrol engine, however; it won't be long until the performance available will be mind blowing and bearing in mind the economy, many of us can't afford to run multiple cars for the sheer hell of it, it's a wonderful time to be a car enthusiast :)

Last edited:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
These days you can buy large executive diesel saloons which do 60mph in around 5 seconds from the factory, and can do this repeatedly regardless of the conditions.
Repeatedly regardless of conditions, 50 times in a row...fun to watch. Lucky guy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7o

A friends Dad has one, we went out in it, all 3 of us in there, we are all chunky monkeys and I've never felt acceleration from zero to 30 mph like it this side of a superbike.
In the end, performance-wise, just about impossible to beat with anything stock or even modified...also fun to watch, if you understand German.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATV4Ltbk5Qc