Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup

SpeedFreek

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 New Jetta
I'm a bit disappointed it the lack of discussion of the TDI Cup races going on, sure many people here put out more power and have a more capable car but this is the first attempt I have really seen VW advertise TDIs in a racing sense.

Anyway I was reading this:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2966035

He made some other threads about the TDI Cup that are worth reading if your interested in racing oilburner sedans.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Went and saw the TDI Cup today at NJ Motorsports Park in Millville, NJ. The weather was crappy and the cars were running slicks so it made some interesting racing; i.e. lots of off-roading! Looking at the cars in-person was a treat. The front brakes are taken from the Audi R8 (as evidenced by the R8 logo on the massive calipers and the Audi rings on the aluminum rotor hats), which I did not know! Being around the cars has me pumped up for my TDI to come in!

N_D_v_22101

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MK4 2001 -REFLEX SILVER and now a MK5 JETTA Platinum Grey NON-TDI Tho.
I was able to get a media pass and took alot of pics of this past weekends events.

Here are some teasers:

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
i was at the TDIcup when it came to Mosport, same thing happened, they went to slicks, then it started to rain.

quite a few cars got roughed up, and they got to practice offroading on slicks.

was interesting, can't wait till we get the 09s chipped the same way as the race cars

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing what the aftermarket has to offer in regards to ECU tuning. My understanding is that the Cup cars have a 170 hp tune. Since they're still using the DSG, I wonder if the torque is limited to 258 lb-ft?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I love the look of the TDI cup cars and I think I might try to build something similar with a TDI sportswagen. So far this is the best thread I have seen with the specs for the TDI cup cars. here ios what I've been able to find out on the specs and if you can help fill in some of the specs I'd appreciate it.

Wheels:
Ronal R46 18x8.5
offset 46
Tire size: 240/640 -18 (240mm wide and 640mm for the diameter, its a racing tire size spec)

Suspension:
Koni adjustable Coilovers with Eiback springs?
Eibach Springs
Sway bars?
spherical/heim in the suspension. No rubber.

Brakes:
R8
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3796246

Engine:
Stock with a chip TDI

Exhaust:
Stock emissions
Mufflers removed.
Filter back exhaust size?

Front Bumper:
Thunder bunny bumper kit $1,400-$1,600 (painted)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3987928
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3976001
btw Bud in that link is local to me and he is great to work with.
Thunder bunny part numbers provided by Bud: The last 3 numbers are for the prepainted parts.

Tranmission:
gearset (internals) from R32

Last edited:

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Not sure about the wheels or the suspension. If I recall correctly from when the TDI Cup was first introduced, VW indicated that these were U.S.-spec engines with a mild tune. Regarding the exhaust, after hearing these cars in person, I would say that the muffler(s) has been eliminated, leaving only the emissions equipment in the exhaust stream. They are not at all loud, but they are definitely louder than a stock TDI. The ThunderBunny kit was front/sides/rear and the exhaust tip was a single round, polished tip.

andrew1984

Veteran Member
TDI
several!!
Suspension is KW adjustable yes, however they never allowed us to do make any changes.

I believe the springs were eibach.

From what I recall everything was spherical/heim in the suspension. No rubber.

Transmission has gearset (internals) from R32.... pretty sure.

They removed the mufflers, kept emission controls.

The body panels are available to purchase. I have the item #'s and pricing somewhere around here... if you need them?

wheels are Ronals.

Front brakes are R8 (unbelievable stopping power)

Motors are stock.

anything else you'd like to know?

andrew1984

Veteran Member
TDI
several!!
someone asked about TV airing.

Yes it will be on the SPEED channel starting October 25th.

I've got the full schedule which I believe I had previously posted on Vortex.

Do you guys want to make a sticky for it?

My facebook group has a decent amount of Jetta Cup info.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=21517552070

SCCA Pro Racing Jetta TDI Cup Bulletin - 9/ 17 /2008
Speed Channel has released a preliminary Jetta TDI Cup airing schedule. There will be a total of 7 episodes, with the New Jersey races 6 & 7 appearing in one combined episode and an additional segment for the airing of the complete Jetta TDI Cup documentary.

Virginia International (30 mins.)
Sat 10/25/08 6:00 PM

Mosport (30 mins.)
Sat 11/1/08 5:00 PM

Portland (30 mins.)
Sat 11/1/08 5:30 PM

Lime Rock (30 mins.)
Sat 11/8/08 5:00 PM

Iowa (30 mins.)
Sat 11/8/08 5:30 PM

New Jersey (30 mins.)
Sat 11/15/08 5:00 PM

Road Atlanta (30 mins.)
Sat 11/15/08 5:30 PM

Documentary (60 mins.)
Sat 11/22/08 5:00 PM

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Thanks I knew a Scirocco guy would be able to help. Thanks and I can't wait to see you on speed this month.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
andrew1984 said:
Suspension is KW adjustable yes, however they never allowed us to do make any changes.

The body panels are available to purchase. I have the item #'s and pricing somewhere around here... if you need them?

wheels are Ronals.

Motors are stock.

I'd love to know the wheel offset and tire size if possible.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, and if you are able in the normal coarse of time could you see what they did for the exhaust when they deleted the mufflers? Did they go with 2.25" from filters back?

Crazy Jetta TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
cool info. I look forward to this especially the Oct 25th broadcast from VIR. I drove my Charger SRT around the track. it is a very fun track to drive and I love watching events from there.

dparker

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 1M & twenty10 Cup Edition
They are not at all loud, but they are definitely louder than a stock TDI.
Too loud for a daily driver? :) My car is so quiet I forget it's running sometimes. I read somewhere that the ECU tune gave something like +10hp and around +20 ftlbs. They shaved about 400-500 lbs off them as well.

I missed them at Road Atlanta as I overslept that morning. :(

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
dparker said:
Too loud for a daily driver? :) My car is so quiet I forget it's running sometimes. I read somewhere that the ECU tune gave something like +10hp and around +20 ftlbs. They shaved about 400-500 lbs off them as well.

I missed them at Road Atlanta as I overslept that morning. :(
In my opinion, not too loud at all. They're definitely quieter than a TDI with no muffler and I don't consider a TDI - muffler to be loud at all.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
G60ING said:
Tranmission:
gearset (internals) from R32
I can imagine the flywheel/clutches are from R32, but the gearset? So the gear ratio is also from R32?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
andrew1984 said:

wheels are Ronals.

Motors are stock.

*Read*

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
maloosheck said:
I can imagine the flywheel/clutches are from R32, but the gearset? So the gear ratio is also from R32?
Flywheel and clutches are from the TDI, I'm sure. Especially since the clutches are capable of holding so much more torque than what these engines are producing. Having the R32 gearsets makes sense because the R32 has very short gearing which is better for a track event; compared to the TDI gearsets which are very tall and geared for economy, not acceleration.

RUSHtheBUS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan. #13,500
I talked to techs at the NJ Motorsport race. They said the race cars are all stock with the expection of the brakes

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
RUSHtheBUS said:
I talked to techs at the NJ Motorsport race. They said the race cars are all stock with the expection of the brakes
Well, it's not quite that simple since there is very little that is exactly the same as found on a production Jetta TDI. For example, the gearbox, engine, brakes, wheels/tires, exhaust, steering wheel, et al are all different in one way or another. Some of these items may be OEM VAG parts, but they aren't necessarily found on the Jetta TDI.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI