Volkswagen asked by EPA to make electric cars in U.S. to make up for dieselgate

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
I see this as a way out for the dieselgate mess,for VW.
And yes there is a need for electric powered Volkswagens.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
They are going to have to come up with something a lot better than the current e-Golf - something comparable to the Chevrolet Bolt, for example, if they want to sell much more than 6 of them.

If one outcome involves installing a huge number of SAE Combo Level 3 public charging stations, that would help.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
They are going to have to come up with something a lot better than the current e-Golf - something comparable to the Chevrolet Bolt, for example, if they want to sell much more than 6 of them.

If one outcome involves installing a huge number of SAE Combo Level 3 public charging stations, that would help.
Do you mean Chevy "Volt"? I think VW and BMW announced last year a joint project to build charging stations along the east coast.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
VW to redeem itself with electric cars?

Feb 21 2016, 09:20 ET | By: Yoel Minkoff, SA News Editor

U.S. authorities have asked Volkswagen (OTCPK:VLKAY) to produce electric vehicles in the U.S. as a way of making up for its rigging of emission tests, Germany's Welt am Sonntag reports.

The plan would see VW manufacture electric cars at its plant in Tennessee, and help build a network of charging stations for electric vehicles.

"Talks with the EPA are ongoing and we are not commenting on the contents and state of the negotiations," a VW spokesman said. The EPA also declined to comment.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
VW not commenting, EPA not commenting. This is therefore speculative. As with all speculation that is outside of the Dieselgate threadzilla, I'm inclined to either lock this or combine it with Threadzilla - where this has already been mentioned.

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
... If one outcome involves installing a huge number of SAE Combo Level 3 public charging stations, that would help.
That was in the Article too. VW would pay a big chunk for changing infrastructure.

Not that it means anything but to change someone a fine for doing something wrong and then saying instead of a fine why dont you pay for the infrastructure to get the rest of the US to buy EV's seems just as underhanded as the company that cheated. I suppose all the governments of the world live off the saying " to the victor goes the spoils." though so it means nothing.

Ron

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
What's ironic if this is true is that corresponding electric vehicles would likely produce more life-cycle emission damage costs in most grids in the U.S. than the "cheating" TDIs. Graphical comparison of "cheating" Golf TDI (using "urban" emission profile of the 2013 Passat TDI in ICCT/WVU tests), Golf 1.8T and e-Golf, using GREET and EPA emission damage costs.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Well, they could always design the factory so if/when EV is a total flop, it will switch over to TDI production easily (or build for both . . . and hopefully, the US Gov. is blind enough to help subsidize the whole big taco . . ..).

- Tim

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What's ironic if this is true is that corresponding electric vehicles would likely produce more life-cycle emission damage costs in most grids in the U.S. than the "cheating" TDIs. Graphical comparison of "cheating" Golf TDI (using "urban" emission profile of the 2013 Passat TDI in ICCT/WVU tests), Golf 1.8T and e-Golf, using GREET and EPA emission damage costs.
I'm probably missing something, so I'll ask... what "fuel" (green bar) is involved in the solar charging of an e-Golf? Does this take into account the production of the solar panels or something?

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
There is no mechanism that the US govt can use to compel VW to offer EVs for sale here, and obviously they can't be compelled to produce these cars in the US either.

However, this would appear to be an offer for VW to reduce their fines, sort of a tit for tat. Spend money on fines, or spend the money on infrastructure that could one day turn a profit. Should be an easy decision if that is the case.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
Until there are some breakthroughs in battery technology, I'll never own an electric car.
I can drive from the South side of Raleigh NC to Washington Dulles airport and back without filling up my Passat. 720 miles plus. In comfort and safety, reliably.
I know a fella with a Nissan Leaf, and he can barely make it to work across town until it needs a charge. Electric cars are city cars. I don't need or want a 'city car'.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
VWAG needs to partner with a company or buy one to make it happen

Too bad Tesla is partners with Toyota

Sent from my iPhone. There may be horrible grammar and misspelling involved

delta18

TDI
2012 Golf Comfortline 6MT
I hate when people make the argument that EVs are not as efficient because they simply transfer the source of emissions from the vehicle to the electricity source.

While it is true that in a state that uses primarily coal for electricity generation like Arizona for example. In a state like Washington, where the majority of electricity is hydroelectric then you can't make the same argument.

California, which has pushed EV adoption the hardest, only has 0.5% of its energy generated by coal. Of the rest 61% is generated using natural gas, which although still a fossil fuel is much more efficient than burning oil, gasoline or diesel. All the rest of California's electricity is generated using non-fossil fuel sources.

This is not to say that EVs are 100% emissions free or that they aren't without their own environmental consequences (Li mining anyone?) but it is a straw man argument to use the grid as a whipping boy for why EVs don't work.

Solar isn't the only emissions free source of power and not all fossil fuel sources are as dirty as coal.

Sorry for the rant it just irks me when it appears that it is assumed that our only sources of energy are either dirty coal or solar.

Anyway back to the discussion of possible VW EVs

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
VW not commenting, EPA not commenting. This is therefore speculative. As with all speculation that is outside of the Dieselgate threadzilla, I'm inclined to either lock this or combine it with Threadzilla - where this has already been mentioned.
The German Papers report, that's the way VW will need to go. It's not speculative at all.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
I'm probably missing something, so I'll ask... what "fuel" (green bar) is involved in the solar charging of an e-Golf? Does this take into account the production of the solar panels or something?
Yes, it takes into account the production of the PV solar panels. Apparently, it's quite energy intensive to produce those panels per unit of electricity produced (at least according to the GREET model).

It also takes into account the emissions produced during well drilling and pipeline construction.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
I hate when people make the argument that EVs are not as efficient because they simply transfer the source of emissions from the vehicle to the electricity source.

While it is true that in a state that uses primarily coal for electricity generation like Arizona for example. In a state like Washington, where the majority of electricity is hydroelectric then you can't make the same argument.

California, which has pushed EV adoption the hardest, only has 0.5% of its energy generated by coal. Of the rest 61% is generated using natural gas, which although still a fossil fuel is much more efficient than burning oil, gasoline or diesel. All the rest of California's electricity is generated using non-fossil fuel sources.

This is not to say that EVs are 100% emissions free or that they aren't without their own environmental consequences (Li mining anyone?) but it is a straw man argument to use the grid as a whipping boy for why EVs don't work.

Solar isn't the only emissions free source of power and not all fossil fuel sources are as dirty as coal.

Sorry for the rant it just irks me when it appears that it is assumed that our only sources of energy are either dirty coal or solar.

Anyway back to the discussion of possible VW EVs
Nevertheless, just because EVs produce (essentially) no direct vehicle emissions, there are significant emissions produced from manufacturing of the vehicle, and producing the "fuel".

The National Academy of Sciences produced a 2009 report that concluded essentially the same thing ("Hidden Costs Of Energy: Unpriced Consequences Of Energy Production And Use" - http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=12794). Here is a graphic from that report on its projected non-GHG emission damages for 2030 model year cars...

Based on the latest version of the GREET model (GREET_2015, available at https://greet.es.anl.gov/) and emission damage costs per EPA itself ("Draft Regulatory Impact Analysis: Proposed Rulemaking for 2017-2025 Light-Duty Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emission Standards and Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards"; Table 7.1-6.4-1, page 7-2), the following are damage costs from various vehicle technologies and fuels currently available...

You're welcome to check my calculations (there's certainly a possibility of math errors in those calculations), but since the relative damages are reasonably close to what NAS calculated, it should be close hopefully.

I also agree that solar isn't the only source of renewable electricity, and it appears hydro power is "cleaner" than solar. It also should be noted that the "U.S. mix" for electricity is based on the latest info from EIA (first 10 months of 2015 when NG nearly equaled coal in electricity production (http://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data/monthly/pdf/mer.pdf , Table 7.2a).

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I think of my vacation last year into Labrador and Newfoundland, and have to accept that I'd never have been able to do that in a battery electric car.
I'd have maybe gotten 300 miles out of town, just halfway to the next, before I ran out of current.

as far as VWAG paying for chargers instead of a fine:
I don't see a difference between that, and using the money paid in fines and turning that around to buy and install chargers.
VW makes the entire expense, the other makers that use that charger technology don't have to. VW is financially 'punished' and others benefit.

delta18

TDI
Nevertheless, just because EVs produce (essentially) no direct vehicle emissions, there are significant emissions produced from manufacturing of the vehicle, and producing the "fuel".

The National Academy of Sciences produced a 2009 report that concluded essentially the same thing ("Hidden Costs Of Energy: Unpriced Consequences Of Energy Production And Use" - http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=12794). Here is a graphic from that report on its projected non-GHG emission damages for 2030 model year cars...

Based on the latest version of the GREET model (GREET_2015, available at https://greet.es.anl.gov/) and emission damage costs per EPA itself ("Draft Regulatory Impact Analysis: Proposed Rulemaking for 2017-2025 Light-Duty Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emission Standards and Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards"; Table 7.1-6.4-1, page 7-2), the following are damage costs from various vehicle technologies and fuels currently available...

You're welcome to check my calculations (there's certainly a possibility of math errors in those calculations), but since the relative damages are reasonably close to what NAS calculated, it should be close hopefully.

I also agree that solar isn't the only source of renewable electricity, and it appears hydro power is "cleaner" than solar. It also should be noted that the "U.S. mix" for electricity is based on the latest info from EIA (first 10 months of 2015 when NG nearly equaled coal in electricity production (http://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data/monthly/pdf/mer.pdf , Table 7.2a).
I was not trying to imply that I dispute your calculations. Only that it irks me when a simplistic blanket measurement like (average US mix) is used when there is high variability depending on which state one lives in. As your improved figure above shows it is not a black and white issue there is a lot of grey. I like that figure BTW, nice job.

FYI my numbers for the California mix came from the same EIA source.

That said if we want to discuss hidden costs (i.e. EV's not as clean as claimed). We could also discuss hidden benefits. Since the grid emissions are located at power plants or production facilities that are not located in highly populated areas, rather than coming out the tailpipes of cars there should be a reduction in low level smog in cities. Not to mention this study http://www.nature.com/articles/srep09213 that found that by not running so many ICEs in a city you can reduce the urban heat island effect.

The above two points would hold true even in a state that uses primarily high emissions coal to produce their electricity. Yes it still just outsources the pollution and could simply result in more evenly distributed pollution but it is still a benefit (at least to those living in big cities).

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
...and I still stand by my statement that one battery pack will produce more pollution overall than any diesel (IDI, DI, Common Rail...) ever. Add this to the tons of CO2 used to produce most of the electricity (because we're so afraid of The China Crisis) and you have a net loss.
IIRC, all-electric vehicles are only about 10% more efficient than diesel.

delta18

TDI
I should also point out that I think diesels make much more sense as a low emission passenger car here in North American than hybrids or EVs. That said I worry that what VW did may not make it an option as we go forward.

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed