Volkswagen agrees to deal with unions to cut 30,000 jobs

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...00-jobs-to-revive-core-brand/article32922888/

Volkswagen and its labour unions agreed to cut 30,000 jobs at the core VW brand in exchange for a commitment to avoid forced redundancies in Germany until 2025, a compromise which leaves the car maker’s profitability still lagging rivals.

The turnaround plan announced on Friday will lead to €3.7-billion ($3.9-billion) in annual savings by 2020 and lift the Volkswagen (VW) brand’s operating margin to 4 per cent that year, from an expected 2 per cent in 2016.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Thanks EPA, you just put 30,000 out of work.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
That's a secret you're not supposed to mention. EPA crushes the US economy putting untold hundreds of thousands of men and women out of work and sending jobs to other countries.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
will see if the EPA is still around in the next few years. As we know Trump hates them and for good reason. When they where first made up they did a good job now I just see them as a tyrant.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
will see if the EPA is still around in the next few years. As we know Trump hates them and for good reason. When they where first made up they did a good job now I just see them as a tyrant.

Exactly. They are not allowed to make rules and enforce but they do anyway. They have been overstepping their "charter" for some time.

NYC-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Free and Loving It
Exactly. They are not allowed to make rules and enforce but they do anyway. They have been overstepping their "charter" for some time.
Here we go again. The EPA is absolutely allowed to make rules and enforce them. They may not be rules you necessarily agree with, but that has no bearing on their authority.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Maybe some of the 30,000 will go to work for BMW or Daimler-Benz who
meet the standards without an (obvious) cheat...

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Why do you care about foreign workers losing jobs?
You don't think that would trick down to American or Canadian jobs?

It sucks for anyone to lose their job, Mr Grinch.

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
WRONG! The criminals in VW who think laws do not apply to them are responsible for the 30,000 out of work.
Criminals? Thanks to the EPA and CARB until a few years ago you couldn't buy a new VW Diesel in California, New York or Mass. But it was OK to purchase a used VW Diesel from out of state.

The 2015 VW TDI is a clean burning Diesel. Compared to an older Diesel car, my '63 MB 190Dc, or my '74 MB 240D and several other VW and MB Diesels, the new VW TDI is squeaky clean..

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
WRONG! The criminals in VW who think laws do not apply to them are responsible for the 30,000 out of work.
Its still clean, this is completely blown out of proportion. Better mpg or a cleaner tail pipe and worse mpg. Hmmmmmm. :confused:

dspencer

TDI
03 jetta GL 5sp silver
It was still cheating. VW is more responsible than anyone else for their taking them off the market. While they were almost the only small car diesel made for the US market for years, the taint with dieselgate has probably left VW feeling that they should stand down for awhile.
The market for diesel is growing with more vehicles coming on every year. VW is leaving. The deduction I come up with is the lies VW made in bringing forth diesels.

The ecodiesel is about to hit the fan too. We will see if there is anything to that.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
The Dodge Ram?
Keep on mind that thier are two different engines in the Ram . . . the 'baby' (1500) trucks get the 'ecodiesel' which is from VMMotori . . . the heary duty line (2500/3500) have Cummins engines. I believe the recent flap is only centered on the VMMotori powerplant, and not Cummins . . .

- Tim

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Keep on mind that thier are two different engines in the Ram . . . the 'baby' (1500) trucks get the 'ecodiesel' which is from VMMotori . . . the heary duty line (2500/3500) have Cummins engines. I believe the recent flap is only centered on the VMMotori powerplant, and not Cummins . . .

- Tim
Just making sure it was the 3.0L Motori engine. I know the Cummin's isn't an Eco diesel, never was, never will be, :D

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
I've said this many times before...it should be a crime for the EPA to negotiate emissions compliance in exchange for money. ECD's are bought by manufacturer's all the time based on the idea of "safety". The truth is, the EPA keeps all ECD negotiations locked up, never to be released to keep "trade secrets" from getting out.

If that's not extortion I don't know what is...VW refused to pay for their ECD. That's all all that happened. Why did the EPA keep this locked up for a year while they tried to work a deal with VW?

vintovka

Banned
TDI
NO MORE VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The whole thing stinks. CAL EPA may be unable to sue when they are a sovereign nation.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
This seems like a great space to vent anger toward CARB/EPA and generally crap on scientific knowledge production. That said, the article cited explicitly points out that the restructuring isn't related to dieselgate since VW's scale has necessitated cuts long before the scandal to remain competitive with other manufacturers.

It's kinda bizarre in that I'd be surprised to find many grousing here supporting the union's position that unnecessary workers shouldn't be cut if not for the government regulation angle that is clearly swamping other, more relevant, issues.

(as an aside, the article also pointed out that VW agreed to create 9K new jobs in relation to electrifying their product lineup; markets move, people, that's how the system has always worked and will continue to work for the foreseeable future).

Coal Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium DSG Reflex Silver
Having spent my entire working career tuning VERY large burners for all types of applications I found that NO MATTER what fuel was used from #6 oil to "Digester gas" when you get the flame tuned to "optimum efficiency" you inherently made NOx. If you tuned for "minimum" CO you ALWAYS had HIGH NOx. NO WAY around it. That whole "stoichiometric" fuel/air mix doesn't give a rat's derriere about CARB or the EPA. Unless some "wise man" can figure out a way for a motor vehicle to use pure O2 for combustion we're stuck with what comes out the tailpipe.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Coal Roller, it's hard to understand your point since exhaust treatment is able to
reduce NOx emissions. VW cheated because they chose not to meet the standards,
not because they couldn't.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Having spent my entire working career tuning VERY large burners for all types of applications I found that NO MATTER what fuel was used from #6 oil to "Digester gas" when you get the flame tuned to "optimum efficiency" you inherently made NOx. If you tuned for "minimum" CO you ALWAYS had HIGH NOx. NO WAY around it. That whole "stoichiometric" fuel/air mix doesn't give a rat's derriere about CARB or the EPA. Unless some "wise man" can figure out a way for a motor vehicle to use pure O2 for combustion we're stuck with what comes out the tailpipe.
Actually, stoichometric was brought about for emissions, aka the EPA. That was the optimal ratio that the catalytic converter would work the best and reduce all the bad gas's.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Coal Roller, I know you are correct. But, the other side of the story is that there are ways to clean up the NOx.
I think the simplified situation is that you can have low CO, low NOx, and low cost/complexity, but you have to choose between two of the three.

The part I find most ironic is that CO2 emissions are NOT considered in these regulations. That is the greenhouse gas most related to climate change, but it is not considered a pollutant, so ULEV, SULEV, PZEV, and all that crap are not entirely honest.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
So I at least am tired of the piling on of VWAG for what they did, how is it any worse than what every other auto maker has done for years while using the truck loophole for industrial use to skirt along with violate the passenger class emissions & CAFE rules..???????.....
Every other? Name one other auto maker who brought a passenger diesel to the U.S. without urea injection, after tier 2 bin 5 took effect. The only secret was how the LNT needed to be showered with diesel in order to catalyze the necessary NOx,....and when to shut the shower off.

Those of us "paid out" are now just lingering. Soon, framing VW the victim will go uncontested.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
PLEASE......How is what VWAG did any different( no impact on actual air quality anywhere in the US)....

Compared to what auto makers have for ~3 decades now done by dishonestly using the loophole class for industrial use label to illegally sell what were in fact passenger offerings....

Passenger class offerings labeled as loophole for industrial use class to skirt, ignore and exceed set passenger class vehicle emissions limits by megatons & allowed to ignore CAFE rules which clearly applied to all passenger class offerings, for close to ~3 decades of exceeding these same emissions laws.. .???????.....

Every other? Name one other auto maker who brought a passenger diesel to the U.S. without urea injection, after tier 2 bin 5 took effect. The only secret was how the LNT needed to be showered with diesel in order to catalyze the necessary NOx,....and when to shut the shower off.

Those of us "paid out" are now just lingering. Soon, framing VW the victim will go uncontested.
Loophole class Gasoline engine's passenger use intended vehicles(SUVs of all sizes,Passenger Use intended from their inception light Trucks & even vehicles like the PT Cruise & GMs similar offering, along with many other offerings from all auto makers)...

All of which for close to three decades now were sold as tuck loophole for industrial use only class vehicles to skirt, ignore & violate passenger class vehicle emissions & CAFE rules!

I have to ask, how about the last three decades of the blatant abuse of the loophole class to fill our roads with what were in actuality always intended from their inception to be gasoline powered passenger vehicles!

Passenger Vehicles in fact from the start that were pollution spewing & fuel wasting vehicles which for years claimed to be in the loophole for industrial use.

This was/still is just being ignored by the EPA and CARB, along with all of you screaming at VWAG to doing far less here with minuscule numbers these things were sold in here!

By 2004 these loophole class passenger offerings had been sold in such numbers they dropped US fleet CAFE into the single digits.

These law breakers, actual passenger class law ignoring offerings lead directly to many parts of US having many more days across the US where EPA pollution rule limits were exceeded...

Spewing actual pollution(not the BS that all are screaming about VWAG's non-existent in significant levels anywhere in the US!) Pollution spewed by 2004 in levels not seen since the 1970s due to actual impact these pollution spewing offerings put out!

The passage of emissions rules on light duty diesel auto class vehicles which no one! , but VW even tried to offer here for the last three decades+....

Rules all knew were Not Ever intended to clean up any air anywhere, but to make US emissions appear cleaner only on paper! .....!...NEVER IN THE REAL WORLD...!....

Those who wrote them and those who pushed for them,(these rules were introduced to try to balance in a fantasy world only out the over-polluting lightly regulated truck class vehicles sold as auto class offerings).....

This was done so the auto makers who have tied their future to this misuse of the emissions & CAFE "truck loophole" continuing the production/sale of these profitable minimally regulated offerings for a while longer without auto regulations being implemented on these offerings.....

This stricten'ing up of emissions on non-existent vehicles no one has offered here since model year 1985 was done so auto makers could sell the more polluting vehicles in the loophole class...

LoopHole Truck class Vehicles that were being illegally offered for passenger use. This building & selling of these designed for passenger use & sale which was a clear violation of the intent of the loophole class implementation in 1984MY.....

That is this was a illegal use of of the "Truck loophole class" for industrial use only was part of a play to use this loophole a while longer while these rules gave the appearance of cleaning up air...!...

...These facts were pointed out during the discussion time about implementing of the current over-zealous light duty auto class diesel emissions rules VWAG played around with.......

So I at least am tired of the piling on of VWAG for what they did, how is it any worse than what every other auto maker has done for years while using the heavy truck loophole for industrial use class ...

The intent of the loophole class law was ignored for years (large gasoline wasting heavy lumps that for years did not have to meet auto/passenger class emissions or CAFE rules were always intended for passenger use which violates the intent, spirit and specifically what the was written as the reason for passage of emissions & CAFE loophole for heavy & light trucks to used in industrial settings)...

This abuse of the loophole rules was the way auto makers used to skirt/violate passenger emissions & CAFE gasoline engine rules which should have applied...

Auto makers have for years building used the heavy & light truck loophole for industrial use class vehicles to skirt the law building passenger vehicles that did violate the passenger class gasoline engine emissions & CAFE rules...

This is where these ridiculous emissions rules on light duty auto diesels came from so how is this any worse that what auto makers have done for 3~ decades now...

A bargain made with the auto industry to over regulate non-existent auto class light duty diesels...Costing the auto makers nothing since none of them other than VWAG had even tried to sell an auto class diesel here since model year 1986!

FACT said:
The intent of Over regulating non-existent auto class diesels while continuing to allow the dishonest & illegal use of the loophole class.

The unprosecuted illegal allowed use of the loophole class specification moniker for the specific skirting of emissions & CAFE rules in effect for all passenger class offerings....

The unprosecuted illegal use of the loophole class claiming for these vehicles sold in the 100s millions(some of these offerings were sold in billions while skirting emissions & CAFE laws for passenger use) for close ~3 decades to build passenger vehicles which spewed pollution and wasted fuel well above allowed limits in place at the time for passenger class vehicles to make the air appear cleaner only on paper....

By using the truck class loophole for skirting, ignoring, exceeding emissions limits & CAFE laws/rules with their blatant using of the loophole class rules to build/sell 100s of millions of vehicles always intended to be used for passenger class offerings....

All of you screaming for VWAG's head, where is you outrage about how the truck loophole for industrial class vehicles has been used for years to produce real pollution that fills our air...?....

Auto makers have now dishonestly for decades used the loophole for industrial use class to fill our roads with passenger intended use large & small gasoline wasting pollution spewing SUVs, Passenger used light trucks, & vehicles like the PT cruiser & similar "ALL" that did not EVER meet passenger class emissions or CAFE rules..

Passenger vehicles which were wrongly allowed to be labeled as truck loophole for industrial use class to get around emissions & CAFE laws in place which were sold in the 100s of millions(some loophole class claimed models were sold in the billions) which produced, still produce extreme amounts of pollution above the passenger class rules which should have been required!

So how is what VWAG did any different( no impact on actual air quality anywhere in the US) than what auto makers have for ~3 decades done using the loophole class for industrial use label on what were in fact passenger offerings skirt, ignore and exceed set passenger class vehicle limits by megatons, for close to ~3 decades of exceeding these same emissions laws.. .???????.....

Automakers are still being allowed to sell passenger vehicles labeled as loophole class offerings skirting passenger class CAFE rules! Where is the outrage on this...????....

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I'm just throwing this out there, rotarykid:
you know that repeating the same phrases over and over makes you seem nuts, right?

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
Yes, they were found to have an emissions defeat device (software) much like a Volkswagen.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...gens-Berman-Consumers-Sue-Fiat-Chrysler-Bosch

Personally, I think every single car ever made pollutes more in real world driving than they do during the EPA test. It's just common sense that they would.
In the same group as the Ram, are also Mercedes and the Chevy Cruze...

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/daimler-launches-diesel-probe-after-doj-request
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hagens-berman-gm-latest-automaker-163200629.html

Last edited: