Voided warranty

Kallen3331

TDI
2004 Passat TDI, 2013 Golf TDI
Hi I’m new here! I have a 2013 Golf TDI and have had it less than a year. I currently replaced the EGR valve.. it’s having emission problems. The local dealership said bc I have a k+n air filter my emissions warranty is void. Any ideas on how to fix it and get her back on the road?
Report •••

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress)
maybe, you should just put a stock air filter in and go to someone else.
besides those air filters are trash hood bling scams that actually damage your engine and rob power.

Kallen3331

TDI
2004 Passat TDI, 2013 Golf TDI
I did think about that.. I have an appointment at a different VW dealership and was wondering if they would honor the warranty, since I have the stock air filter now.

TurboABA

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta 6spd MT, 2014 Touareg Execline
Did they give you any paperwork which indicates that they flagged your VIN as a TD1?

lemoncurd

TDI
MK6 Jetta SloWagon TDI (Golf Varient)
Lets just ignore the whole not using this or that filter for a moment, what that dealer is doing is wrong. Call up VWOA and let them know. My dealer said the same thing when they saw my KN filter. My car was in for a P2015 error code and they where saying that since I had installed non-oem equipement on the intake side of things, any and all things intake related would now be void under warranty. VWOA ended up calling the dealership and giving the go ahead to do the work

But in general I would take that CAI off, they really do more harm than good (oiled ones that is).
Only reason mine is still on is because I dont have my stock airbox anymore and I am waiting to buy a dry filter

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Oiled K&N air filters have been ruining VW MAFs as long as TDIClub has been around. If your MAF did get screwed up it could cause all kinds of problems with the emissions system - both reported and real.

-J

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Ran a K&N for over 200,000 miles in my 2009 2.0 TDI with no issues.
No power gain, but at the time the proper filter was hard to get.
The 2009 was still running like new ar 280,000 miles when VW bought it back.
I assume that it was due to fail sometime soon...

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Well, I suppose a good place to start would be to return the car to a stock configuration, and check for fault codes. I'd also start by replacing the MAF before replacing any other emissions components.

I'd also suggest not driving the car much until this is done, since DPF or EGR filter damage could result.

-J

TurboABA

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta 6spd MT, 2014 Touareg Execline
Disagree. If he hasn't been flagged as a TD1, swap to OEM filter and hit up a different dealer to get it covered under warranty.
If he's a TD1, then he may need to start paying for his own repairs.

Last edited: