VoA: Passat receives a major facelift later in model year 2016

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
http://media.vw.com/release/1038/

The biggest model update for 2016 will be a refreshed Passat, which will enter the lineup this fall. It receives refreshed styling and interior enhancements, plus a full-suite of technology and host of new driver assistance systems.
The facelifted Passat is coming in the fall of 2015 as a 2016 vehicle.
• New sheetmetal, wheels, headlamps and taillights
• More premium interior with an enhanced instrument panel
• Adds a full suite of infotainment and driver assistance features
• More details will follow closer to launch

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Yeah, I saw that press release. A whole lot of info for everything but the Passat. Since they mentioned head and tail lights, it would be safe to assume they are finally adding LED tails and improved headlights. I won't go so far as to predict LED/HID headlights, because I wouldn't put it past them to just put in halogen projector lights and call it good. :p

The new Infotainment systems are sure to be welcomed, compared to the RNS-315 and -510. :rolleyes:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Actually, VW promises other unspecified goodies:
"It receives refreshed styling and interior enhancements, plus a full-suite of technology and host of new driver assistance systems."
Here's Autoblog's spin on the press release.

Could this be the "enhanced instrument panel"?
(from a Golf... notice warning lamps for blind spot, lane assist & adaptive cruise)

VS. Audi "Virtual Cockpit"

Last edited:

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
wow, as a quasi "luddite", that "virtual concept" thing looks terrible. I know the smart phone addicts will be rejoicing but why would anyone need/want all those thumbnails(?)?

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
That's a terrible idea for a cockpit. They are looking at it like BlackBerry or Microsoft: "add more stuff! Because it's possible!".

They need to look at it the Apple way "what can we remove? What it's really needed by 90% of the drivers? What complexity needs to go?"

A car needs something that you can "get" with just a 1-2 seconds peek. Everything else, needs to go. And make it obvious, big and clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Navigation in the cluster seems safer than to the right of view.
"virtual Cockpit" in the TT Roadster also refers to all touch screen center console, much like a Tesla.

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Navigation in the cluster seems safer than to the right of view.
"virtual Cockpit" in the TT Roadster also refers to all touch screen center console, much like a Tesla.
My 2012 passat navigation cluster isnt fancy as the one shown above or as the rns510 screen but I prefer using the cluster with voice off when Im using my nav.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
wow, as a quasi "luddite", that "virtual concept" thing looks terrible. I know the smart phone addicts will be rejoicing but why would anyone need/want all those thumbnails(?)?
"Luddite" you say? I always look at a map (one of those folded paper thingies!) or navigation prior to departure, so I already KNOW where I'm going. Then nav only confirms the directional decisions I'm making.
Gee, I also turn my head to see what's behind me while backing up. Good for my neck and back.
Yupp, I'm a luddite. Both of those cockpits view are just TMI, especially driving in an unfamiliar area, which is always the case when one is using navigation.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Assuming that map view can be configured the same as my Tom Tom or one of the maps on my phone, You can enable/disable whatever you'd like. That should simplify the display somewhat.

On my RNS-510, I only have police, hospital and diesel station icons enabled. Map is pretty clean. If I turned on everything available, it would look worse than that screen above.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Well:

1. The 2016 models should appear in late 2015.

2. The thread title implies the Passat won't get its refresh until mid-model year.

3. What is the provenance of this?

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
"Luddite" you say? I always look at a map (one of those folded paper thingies!) or navigation prior to departure, so I already KNOW where I'm going. Then nav only confirms the directional decisions I'm making.
Gee, I also turn my head to see what's behind me while backing up. Good for my neck and back.
Yupp, I'm a luddite. Both of those cockpits view are just TMI, especially driving in an unfamiliar area, which is always the case when one is using navigation.
yup---mapquest with handwritten directions and always an atlas and this in the car. funny thing is that I have this exact edition, was my mother's when she had sales calls all over and before Al Gore invented the internet.:eek: no navigation needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chicagoland...521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf3287489

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
Guess that's why they ditched the "Drivers wanted" campaign.

Maybe they could go with "driver optional"

MikeTV

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-TDI 3.6 SE
Get a nice instrument cluster like that and then cover it in cheap, scratchable plastic that'll look like crap in a few months.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
Ditch all that "new" infotainment crap and just give me real leather seats! Not a very tiny strip of leather surrounding cloth, which is then surrounded by vinyl-looking leather.

Leather - just leather. Add cooling to the seats too.

I don't mind the RNS510.

Heated and cooled rear seats (also leather).

Projector headlights.

Hella Micro De projector auxiliaries as an option.

Not too worried about the LED's. I don't worry so much about the "show." Cars are a tool for me - a nice, comfortable tool.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Remove the infotainment system and leave an opening for an iPad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
...or...How about a big tach, a big speedo, and REAL (not buffered) gauges for oil temp, oil pressure, EGTs, coolant temp, fuel, a regen light...and a simple instruction book on how to read a map.
Also, no back-up camera. Exercising your neck/back periodically is good for overall health. Bumper warning sensors are okay, because it really IS hard to tell how close you are sometimes.

Merlinspop

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6mt
Also, no back-up camera. Exercising your neck/back periodically is good for overall health. Bumper warning sensors are okay, because it really IS hard to tell how close you are sometimes.
I'm in the process of trying to sell a camper, so I can trade in my F150 for a 2015 Passat. The truck has the bumper sensors that I initially thought were a useless, expensive gimmick. Then one day I was about to back out of a parking spot at Walmart. Looked around; no one was near me and only a guy walking by himself about 8 parking spots away, so I put it in reverse and was about to back up briskly when the alarm squealed. Brakes, Park and opened the door to get a better view behind me. Out from behind my truck walked a kid, no more than 3 or 4 years old, barely taller than the bumper itself.

Thank GOD for those sensors. I know that a big pickup is different than a smaller sedan, and I do swivel and twist and crane my neck to visually check as much as I can. But from the driver's seat, you're still blind back there a little. I'll use the camera as part of the check and not rely on it solely.

Last edited: