VNT17 or VNT17/22

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Forgive me if this has been asked a billion times but I am looking for people who have had both or experience driving both.

Currently stock vnt15, Malone stage 3, pp520 nozzles, upgraded clutch, 2.5" straight pipe to stock muffler.

I have 160k+ miles on this turbo and am going to be pro-active in replacing it. I do not want to wait for failure THEN replace it.

I have been reading for days about vnt17 and vnt17/22 but haven't found a whole lot from people who have had both and whether or not the vnt17 is really much seat of the pants improvement from the vnt15.

Being the price of the vnt17 is several hundred less than the vnt17/22 I'm really considering the vnt17. I'm starting to think the vnt17 is going to suit my needs just fine.

I am not looking for a race car or any of that. This is my daily driver and more oomph when replacing the turbo is a big bonus.

What's your opinions / experience on these turbos.

Thank you

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
I have both. They are very different in my application and experience. In a descriptive way using words I would say the VNT-17 spools much like a VNT-15 but with much more power. The VNT 17/22 has even more "umph" but the lead in is less pronounced than that found on the 17. It tends to jump to it higher in the power band, i.e. it takes a more profound use of the higher end of engine to bring it to life.

The 17 follows the 15 pretty much in the same area of the power band, comes on early, has more low-end response and attains boost quicker.

Now others will add that a lot of this is tune based and I will agree. Not having the same tune on both engines would lead me to believe these ramblings are specific to the two set ups running on this end. Hopefully, some relevant information, but not all of it by far. Which ever you go with make sure to upgrade the IC piping, especially the lower pipe leading from turbo to IC. It is very flat and restricted.

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
I just received an S7 turbo from Kermatdi. Its like $50 more then the VNT17 and they say it will spool like a VNT15, produces more power then the VNT17 but not as much as the 17/22. They told me it will easily make the 180hp goal I have. I should have my new tune and everything installed tomorrow so I'll let ya know how that turbo is.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
kiwibru, thanks for your feedback. The way you describe the 17 is great to me.

Trimmy, never heard of that turbo but am now looking it up. Please do post back with how it goes for you.

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
Well I got the S7 in today and so far it's a sweet turbo. The only thing that has to be changed is the stock lower intercooler hose and all you will have to do if you buy the adapter is cut the hose and clamp it back on. I currently have a tune that's maxing the car out how it sits right now. I see 26psi just as fast if not faster then my vnt15 made it to 20. It hits 26psi stays there and pulls hard. It is bigger then an vnt17 but smaller then a 17/22.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I think the vnt17 will probably be a good match for your nozzles, the 17/22 would be good with bigger nozzles and 11mm pump though. I'm liking the 17 myself though with my PP764's, clears up smoke nicely, boosts early and handles higher up the revs better than the stock 15.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
the 17 is a great easy upgrade for the BEW engine.... if you want to keep the stock intercooler piping off the turbo (which sucks). the only problem with the 17 (the one we commonly get) is that it uses the stupid crack-pipe connection. for that reason alone i would never buy one other than as a drop-in upgrade for a BEW, or if i did get one, i would have a straight barb welded on the outlet. as far as when the power comes on in a 17/22 vs 17 vs 15 even really is completely dependent on tune, IMO.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 so it's an ALH, I also got on fine with the adapter once I'd figured out where to clock the turbo outlet lol. Fitted the adapter off the car then just slipped the boost pipe on in situ.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow thanks for all the opinions and input.

Trimmy, I assume you are using the stock piping to your intercooler and did you have to buy the adapter or would this have worked without it?

I haven't had any luck finding actual photos of that turbo online. Any links?

Does anyone here have a recommendation to replace that crappy turbo to intercooler pipe? If I remember correctly the one that leaves the turbo and goes to the intercooler is that pancake flat piece of junk? That is the only one I'd probably want to replace.

Thanks again!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VNT17 with the adapter attached

And this is the adapter

You just chop the boost pipe that comes from the turbo and fit it to that adapter.

See in the pic too how the outlet is in the wrong place? You just slacken a bunch of 8mm bolts and rotate that end, that's called clocking.

Can't say I've had any bother with the pancake pipe either, not sure what the fuss is about with that.

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
Here is the link to the turbo. It is $50 more then the VNT 17 and if you give kerma a call that $50 is totally worth it. I am very very happy with the turbo. If you purchase the adaptor which you will have to do if you buy a vnt17 you can use your stock intercooler pipe. I bought the 2" adaptor because I have upgraded intercooler pipes.

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/the-8390/1749VB,-CNT1749VB-,-turbo,/Detail