Vnt 17 rebuild?

Runninwild

Veteran Member
TDI
AAZ swapped 2000 tacoma
Not sure if this is the right place for this or not. I just swapped a bhw into my Tacoma and put on all new intake piping. I blew an intake hose in under 30km and the Inside of the hose is coated in oil. All the original intake piping had a lot of oil I originally hoped was the crank vent. I'm not venting the crankcase to the intake so it's definitely from the turbo. Turbo doesn't have any play in it really. Is it worth trying to rebuild the cartridge myself or should I just get a new chra? Can I accurately adjust the vane stop screw for a new chra at home? Are the cheap Chinese ones any good or are there any other affordable options? Getting a new turbo or upgrading isn't really affordable at the moment...

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Did you replace the original turbo oil feed line? It has a restriction in the connection at the turbo that prevents over pressure on the seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runninwild

Veteran Member
TDI
AAZ swapped 2000 tacoma
Did you replace the original turbo oil feed line? It has a restriction in the connection at the turbo that prevents over pressure on the seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No still using the stock line. I did have the turbo and the line off at one point. Is the restriction something that's built into the line or fitting or is it something that could have fallen out without me noticing?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
A minor coating of oil is normal, how much was in the lowest point of the pipe?

Runninwild

Veteran Member
TDI
AAZ swapped 2000 tacoma
Should also mention my n75 randomly stopped working when the hose blew off. I replaced the valve and now I'm getting less boost? Was hitting 23psi before and now I'm getting more 18-20psi. The flange thingy might be leaking as it's fairly loose. Any reason the turbo wouldn't be boosting as much as normal if there's no shaft play? When I was diagnosing the n75 I put a mityvac on the actuator and closed the vanes halfway and the truck instantly went to like 28psi so thinking turbo is ok?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Please downsize those pictures I can’t view them they are so large.

Runninwild

Veteran Member
TDI
AAZ swapped 2000 tacoma
Please downsize those pictures I can’t view them they are so large.

sorry imgur on my phone doesn't let me link them properly. I fixed them on my pc.

anyone have experiences with chras from mecevo or billet ones from xman turbos or blackhazeworkshop? they all come with proper balancing reports and claim to use quality bearings and parts

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thats so much better. Thank you.

Rebuilding a turbo is hit and miss at best. Blowing a hose on a non stock application can be expected until you work out the right connections. A light mist of oil is to be expected, as long as it’s not pooling in copious quantities, and as long as your turbo is not over boosting reattach the hoses and drive on. Keep a close watch on oil buildup in the hoses for a few hundred miles, you don’t want a runaway.

The n75 failure probably allow an over boost and popped the hose. Now that you’ve fixed that your hoses should stay on.

The chinese stuff is junk, failure guaranteed, you would be better off buying a used turbo than one of those. There are a couple of threads if you search where members have tried a couple of domestic rebuild companies.

Runninwild

Veteran Member
TDI
AAZ swapped 2000 tacoma
I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. If I'm having excessive oil loss I'll just replace it. Thanks for the help

Any idea on the part number for the o ring on the compressor outlet flange?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Usually turbo's blow oil out the turbine side. Was it a new turbo? There are no restrictors on our turbo's, they aren't ball bearing turbo's, so not sure what he's talking about.

Runninwild

Veteran Member
TDI
AAZ swapped 2000 tacoma
Usually turbo's blow oil out the turbine side. Was it a new turbo? There are no restrictors on our turbo's, they aren't ball bearing turbo's, so not sure what he's talking about.
No it's a vnt17 that came on the Passat I bought. Cluster said it had 278,000km on it. No idea what the turbo actually has. I was surprised with how little play it had, then again surprised when the intake piping was covered in oil. But I guess that's normal?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Some is normal as I said, however just make sure you don’t get a big pool of oil that sits in the low spot in the hoses waiting to be sucked into the engine when the turbo kicks in going up a hill or when you floor it. I think that bright blue hose tends to show all the oil film in the system vs the normal black hose.

Beaker80

TDI
2006 Golf TDI Manual
Have you checked the drain side of the turbo for obstructions like coked oil, sludge etc? The port in the turbo, the drain hose and the port on the block. This could cause the CHRA to be over-pressurized and blow oil out both sides (compressor and turbine).

Runninwild

Veteran Member
TDI
AAZ swapped 2000 tacoma
The stock system had a small intercooler in the front drivers side corner infront of the washer fluid reservoir. I'm running an awic on my tacoma

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Ohh ok I read back some and see that now. What I would recommend is pull your intercooler off and see how much oil drains out. If there is a lot of oil and only going 30km then you probably have a serious problem. I would think if you are getting more oil in the intercooler system than normal the engine would run away. There will always be oil in the pipe of the system. Just how much is in there within a certain amount of time.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
There will always be oil in the pipe of the system. Just how much is in there within a certain amount of time.
I can attest that fir the first 200k miles of ownership of my sedan almost no oil made it into the intercooler; literally maybe a tablespoon of oil came out. I know because at 200k miles I started modding the car and someone at the GTG purchased my original intercooler when I upgraded to a bigger SMIC. Now I do get a little bit more oil and at the next timing belt change I will how much.

Would it make sense to install a drain valve at the lowest point of the intercooler to drain any oil build up?

Sorry for going slightly off topic.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
That’s kinda crazy to think you barely got any in 200k?!?!? That’s awesome.

The factory intercoolers I have seen people drill a little hole and put a screw on it just to drain it from time to time. I’m sure anything is possible with the right tools and know how.