Viton seals for fuel filter thermostatic T?

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Anybody know of / used viton seals for their thermostatic T on the OEM MKIV fuel filter? Mine is weeping a small (but irritating) amount of fuel at the T.

I've changed the following to try and stop it:

- New fuel filter
- New thermostatic T
- New hose clamps at the T

Filter and T were changed together. When leak returned within 48 hours, clamps were changed (from OEM spring to german screw clamp style <not worm>). Looked this morning, leak is back.

Car is a 2002 and it has a PD lift pump. Approaching 100k miles and never seen this issue before.

Anybody seem similar? Are new hoses at the filter in my future? Perhaps a Kerma widget and rid myself of the plastic T altogether?

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
The mcmaster p/n for the viton orings is posted here somewhere but is difficult to find.

Widget still uses orings. I have one and leave it connected to the cat head when changing the filter, it has not been removed in 4 years.

Another option is to switch to the filter for a 98 beetle which has no hole for the tee.

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
The mcmaster p/n for the viton orings is posted here somewhere but is difficult to find.

Widget still uses orings. I have one and leave it connected to the cat head when changing the filter, it has not been removed in 4 years.

Another option is to switch to the filter for a 98 beetle which has no hole for the tee.
I hadn't thought of searching for "McMaster" & "viton" together, but that worked and pulled up this info:

The two O Rings that go around the thermostatic T are -012 size (dash 012) O Rings. Their nominal inside dimension is 9.25mm and their width (The thickness of the rubber) is 1.78mm.

from this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1322180&postcount=21

Part number is 9464K17 for the dash 012 viton o-rings @ McMaster Carr.

I did try to find an online vendor that still stocked the '98 Beetle fuel filter (sans "T"), but no luck.