? ? View/Reset Codes – Which OBD Tool? OBDeleven/Carista?

Gags730

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium
View/Reset codes – Which OBD Tool? OBDeleven? Carista?
I was wondering what is the alternative to Vag-Com to do simple stuff like reset an airbag light and minor things like changing the horn to not honk with the alarm. I see this OBDeleven and it seems pretty handy for stuff.
Should I get OBDeleven?
Just saw another product called Carista?
What other products are like it?
What are you guys using?
How much stuff can you do with these?
Do they screw you over and nickel and dime you?
I have a 2012 Jetta TDI Premium

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I have been using OBDeleven for almost a year now. It's a decent tool if you don't want to spend to much.

It has allowed me to know what's up when I've had to take the car to the dealer and has allowed me to tweak some settings.

I've found it very useful, especial when combined with the brain trust that is tddiclub.com. These guys have been great!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I have been using OBDeleven for almost a year now. It's a decent tool if you don't want to spend to much.

It has allowed me to know what's up when I've had to take the car to the dealer and has allowed me to tweak some settings.

I've found it very useful, especial when combined with the brain trust that is tddiclub.com. These guys have been great!
But does it do simple stuff like reset an airbag light and minor things like changing the horn to not honk with the alarm.?
We need a good unification thread to identify which of these other tools do what.VCDS was reverse engineered from the VAG tool.

What seems simple may involve other controllers, protocol and language not incorporated into every device.

I can't do the new thread as I only have access to VCDS, my other tools do next to nothing when plugged into the TDI.

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Bob, I really don't know in that I only use it when I need it.

Its table of contents is quite extensive. For the low cost just make the leap and you can start letting us know.

Oh, by the way on my 2014 I didn't need anything external to stop the horn beep

screwyluie

TDI
2014 Jetta
I used a cheap amazon obd2 and carista to disable the horn honk when locking, and a bunch of other little things that carista supports.

I haven't gotten a code to reset, but I can't think why it wouldn't do that since that's the main draw of those cheap obd2 dongles.

k0wtz

TDI
I have been able to get all codes out but the airbag light. gave up! LOL

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Similar to BobnOH, I have no firsthand experience with OBDEleven, but with that said...

From reading other threads on more advanced cars like the Mk7 / MQB platform, OBDeleven seems to be able to do anything VCDS can. Long coding, adaptations, security logins, etc. all seem to be do-able with that interface.

It's a different interface, of course, being phone based, and it's worthwhile pointing out that the basic OBD11 is Android only, while their new (and more expensive) one is iPhone-capable as well.

Now, with all of that out of the way, I urge anyone to go out and buy / support Ross-Tech / VCDS. The contributions they have made for ~20yrs. to allow VW enthusiasts to learn more about our cars and service them, as well as participating as active members on these forums, and supporting customers long after they've purchased their product - to me, that's worth paying a little bit extra.

TDI
2000 Jetta IV TDI
So as a "newb", I am getting the OBDEleven.

Can anyone confirm it reads the ABS codes and such and allows to me reset stuff?

I am just getting into rebuilding my 2000 Jetta and working on others. I intend to pick up the Ross-Tech/VCDS if my first project goes well.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Up to OBD eleven already? What happened to three through ten? (III through X)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Up to OBD eleven already? What happened to three through ten? (III through X)
If that was a joke (like Microsoft totally skipping over Windows 9 en route from Win8 to Win10)...you need to include an emoji of some kind. :)

If not, OBDII (Roman numerals II for 2) looks a lot like OBD11 (Arabic numeral eleven)...which I'm guessing had very few trademark / copyright encumbrances for the fledgling on-board diagnostics dingus company (OBDeleven) to deal with.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Anytime I see in the companies blurb that you have to buy credits to make it operational I start to wonder?

Nothing extra to buy with a Ross-Tech unit.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From what I was told by a Canadian distributor, you only need the credits to "buy" their pre-packaged "scripts". Like, you want to disable DRLs - here's a one-click script that'll cost you "x" credits.

But, if you want to go into the proper channel, login, then to "Long Coding" and make that change yourself....no charge.

No firsthand experience, though, so I don't know how accurate that is, and if it holds for more complex things like going into Basic Settings and running things there.