[video] TDI V6 ticking noise

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
What kind of oil are you using? Is it the VW507.00 spec? It sounds like a lifter or injectors. Is it due an oil change now? If so, do it and see if its still there or goes away.

jorioux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Lifters would be louder than that, wouldn't it? I bought the car used and it was making that ticking noise since I own it. I always put VW507.00

Previously I used the castrol edge 5w30 (vw 507.00, bought at dealer), now I just changed the oil today and i've put the VW OEM 0w30, still no change to the noise.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a Q5 with the same engine. I popped the hood when I got back to work after lunch and mine sounds just like yours. It has 75k miles and if good shape. The clicking was coming from my injectors

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
Haven't done anything to mine but did all of the service to get everything up to date. I don't have any issues with fuel, oil or antifreeze being where it shouldn't. If it were to be a problem, my car still has 45k miles of the extended diesel gate warranty.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
Hard to say if its fuel injectores or not? if it starts right up on cold/hot i would rule them out could be something not getting oil me personally i would do an engine flush using a product like BG EPR or Moter medic 5 min synthetic engine flush.

jorioux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
The engine always starts right up, so that rules out the injectors.

That means it would probably be the lifters. After changing oil to 0w40, I noticed less ticking noise, but it's still there. Should I use seafoam on the 3.0 TDI ?

Kave

TDI
2012 Treg, 2013 JSW 6MT
If it were mine I would try an engine flush additive like seafoam in the oil (if its lifters), and/or some Power Service Diesel Kleen in the fuel (if it's a loud HPFP).

jorioux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I bought a liter of Power Service Diesel Kleen at Canadian Tire store, and poured the specified quantity in the tank and after consuming the whole tank, the ticking from the HPFP is almost gone. I will definitely pour some Diesel Kleen on a regular basis.