VERY Poorly running 2006 TDI, any ideas?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Hi! I have a buddy that we've been working on his TDI sedan with 147k on the clock, trying to figure out why his car is running so bad. Someone told him they thought it might be an injector so I looked using VCDS and the IQ was way off for cylinder 1. We replaced that injector, cleaned the plugs on the injector harness good and nothing changed.

We also noticed that the timing was pretty far off so we looked at his TB and the cam gear was at the stops which is not how it should have been when whoever did his tb job. We corrected that and still, running like poo.

I examined the cam and took a couple pics as I have done a cam job before BUT it was before the point of failing the terrible running of the car. I'm not sure if the damage we found could cause what we are seeing.

Below are links to 2 videos, one at idle and one with low sustained revs. You will see (it might be painful to watch) how bad it's running but also listen closely as I hear a squealing/whining as well.

Let me know what you guys/gals might think is wrong with this thing. Next step I was going to suggest was a UOA from Blackstone to try and possibly confirm if it's cam/cam bearing or something else seriously mechanically wrong like crank shaft bearing spun or something. (*can they even tell if its crank shaft vs cam issues from analysis??)

Here it is at idle https://youtu.be/iQ6ToDgSDyo

Here it is with low revs https://youtu.be/qSQAs34yNQE

Thanks for any and all suggestions you all can offer.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are two good shots of the cam which is "damaged" but idk if it's bad enough to make what we see happen.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Only real way to tell is to take it all apart. how do you know there isn't a hole in the lifters?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Only real way to tell is to take it all apart. how do you know there isn't a hole in the lifters?
Honestly, I don't know but may be headed in that direction. The problem is, I don't think he's committed to a cam job (the cost) and if I tear it down, well, I'd have to put back together. Ha ha

Trying to be as non-invasive as I can but I appreciate the question and suggestion.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Disconnect the air box and have a listen. You'll usually know if a cam is bad or if there's a hole in a lifter.

That irregular slapping sound could be something else that's loose in the accessory area. I'd find the source of that noise before taking anything else apart. Where does it sound the loudest at when you move around?

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
So we decided to check/change fuel filter and found a bit of a surprise! I do believe the vacuum pump may be the source of the problem.

There is DEFINITELY oil in the fuel and the squeel seems to be coming from the vacuum pump side of the head.

Thinking we'll change vaccuum pump, run/start to confirm fix. Then drain all the contaminated fuel, put new fuel and new filter in along with some fuel system cleaner and just change the fuel filter after a full tank has been used and be done with it. We'll also change oil and have analysis done regardless as long as we're up and running to see just how high the iron is which is tale tale sign of impending cam full on failure.

I'd like to do a Frank's BEW reprofiled kit on the car but it's not mine and he's not ready to put the money into it so fingers crossed, this is it. [emoji1692][emoji1692]

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
That's nasty.

I think your talking about the tandem pump not a vacuum pump.
Yes, tandem pump for sure but it's also referred to as vacuum pump. I knew it by tandem but funny enough, call VW parts and they'll be confused so have to use "vaccuum pump" to get the right info. [emoji851]

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
It settled....

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, new tandem pump, though VERY much needed (it was leaking down the side of the motor pretty good) did not fix the problem. Need him to decide if he'd put the money in to do cam and go from there.

Wish I knew what was wrong with this ride but sometimes you gotta throw in the towel. :(

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
i would part it out or just take it to the scrapper
Yeah, I'm 99% sure it's the cam after listening more and removing the filter to listen through the intake, it's definitely the tale tale signs of cam failure, the "popping" sound.

The ball is in his court and I've already talked to Frank (FranksTDI) and prices are same as when we did the last on 2017 so we'll see.