Very impressed with cabin heat on mk5 TDI

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
After reading threads on this site about TDI taking forever to reach a comfortable cabin temperature, I must say that i'm very releived. The electric heater workd majic and my car (even in todays -20celcius) reached comfortable temps in half the time my 03 GTI would. I'm really learning to love this car.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Loving it too... now I know it's there and how best to use. Funny, didn't even know it was there until a member mentioned it. Was previously driving to work with defrost on. :eek: Painfully read owners manuals cover to cover in January, but don't remember reading about.

Aux heater would have come in handy about a week earlier, which is reason # 54,867 for buying a car having a dedicated (and awesome) web forum.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Agreed:) . With the heated seats on fast fry & the cabin heat, I rather enjoy my morning in the TDI. Perhaps next winter will find a coolant heater installed so that I will not my dog's sleep when my wife is annoyed with me :D . Bob

trapperkeeper

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4, Jetta MK5
no electric cabin heater?

It seems that my car doesn't have the cabin heater or I am not setting things up correctly. I have turned the heat to hi and not had it on defrost (put it on panel and floor) and it takes forever to heat up. It operates the same as my MK4 golf and I get to balance getting heat inside the cabin vs. heating up the engine when it's cold out. What am I doing wrong or how do I confirm if I have the cabin heater and enable it if I do? I have a pk2 MK5 Jetta that I got in July. Thanks!

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
Sunday was a windy and cold day for those of us in So Florida. Since I knew I would be out after sundown, I took the Jetta rather than the Passat as I knew the electric heat in the Jetta would come in handy. The 05 Passat TDI does not have that feature. Between the seat heaters and the supplemental heat...AHHH..TOASTY!

Sloose

TDI
05.5 Reflex Silver Jetta Package 1
Being that i dont live at, near, ajacent to, or even remotely close to the arctic circle like someof the TDI owners do:

my tdi heats up REALLY fast... way way way faster than my dodge cummins diesel ever did.

BMac

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Turn the heat dial all the way up (22 degree C I believe), turn the fan on setting 2 or 3 and be sure that the economy light is off. This will give you some heat from an auxillary cabin heater (electric). This combined with electric makes winter almost tolerable. The heat is limited but it is there. If you have problems search for cabin heater and you should find some troubleshooting ideas.

BMac

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
BMAC said:
Turn the heat dial all the way up (22 degree C I believe), turn the fan on setting 2 or 3 and be sure that the economy light is off. This will give you some heat from an auxillary cabin heater (electric). This combined with electric makes winter almost tolerable. The heat is limited but it is there. If you have problems search for cabin heater and you should find some troubleshooting ideas.

BMac
Exactly. My cas does not have cliatronic. i turn the dial all the way..to the red dot and put the blower to level 2 or 3. After a minute you feel the warm air.

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
I never knew about this until I read this thread. Tried it the other day, seemed to work great. Thanks to the Club!

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
I just found out that my car is NOT equipped with this aux heater. Apparently theyt started installing them somewhere in the middle of the 2006 year. My car is pre-heater. Still in the ice ages.

CAATS_Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Pkg2, ESP, DSG, & 8 airbags
R-Sixxer, how did you determine your car doesn't have one? There were members here who received their cars without the proper pre-delivery inspection carried out; the heater was simply not enabled. The dealer is supposed to take care of that during PDI.

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
I was told by a fellow at the dealer. He said they just started putting them in half way through the year. But if it's simply not enabled, i'll give them a call and find out what they say about it.

wldwsel

TDI
2005 Jetta Pkg 1 DSG
v70rsik said:
Exactly. My cas does not have cliatronic. i turn the dial all the way..to the red dot and put the blower to level 2 or 3. After a minute you feel the warm air.
My 2006 pkg 1 has the standard old "not fancy" heating/cooling system and the electric heater will run you out of the car. I know Georgia doesn't approach the cold of the great white North, but it does get cool in the mornings.

Have you taken your car back in to see if the heater is functional? A blown fuse or open heater element would kill the heater.

Good luck.

wldwsel

TDI
2005 Jetta Pkg 1 DSG
R-Sixxer said:
I was told by a fellow at the dealer. He said they just started putting them in half way through the year. But if it's simply not enabled, i'll give them a call and find out what they say about it.
My Jetta has one. I bought it in April of 2006. I believe it was built in March of 2006. I think I'd ask another tech or another dealer.

redlm

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta
My 05.5 Jetta w/CLimatronic starts blowing warm air within 1 mile of my driveway, even at 0F-and I just leave the temp at 75.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I have 2 - 2005.5 Jetta TDI's, one is a pkg 1 and the other is a pkg 2 and they both have the electric cabin heaters and they both work great, even when it was down in the single digets. Still snowing today, in the upper 20s and when I went to town it had heat blowing in a couple of minutes and the engine temp hadn't moved yet.

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
wldwsel said:
My Jetta has one. I bought it in April of 2006. I believe it was built in March of 2006. I think I'd ask another tech or another dealer.

Maybe it is only with cars with the cold weather package? Can anyone confirm/deny this? All Canadian VW's have heated seats/mirrors (except the new City Golf/Jetta).

kball

TDI
2006 mk5 tdi, 03 alh
aux heater

Old post, but i'm wondering if I have this and how you activate it for sure.