Very cool Audi R10 article

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
An excellent Diesel issue in general. I subscribed several months ago and love the mag. William Jeanes' article on Diesels in this issue is a very good read.

Kubla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi Q5
Not the first time, Diesels have run at least twice in the Indy 500, the last one holds a record which won't be broken, ran the whole 500 miles without a pitstop

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Both of those are mentioned in here... actually, there's an article in there devoted to both that car and the diesel car that set the pole in the Indy 500... this issue has LOTS of stuff on diesels. :)

rdean

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Bright Green, Jetta, 2002, Blue Lagoon (RIP)

rez311

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 TDI White
You can be sure the announcers will be more knowledgeable on the TDI this time around. I am sure they did more research and will spill it all on TV. It's funny when they screw up. :D

TDI_Cubed

Veteran Member
TDI
14 BMW 328dX
Diesel's Emerge! Audi Diesel Racer takes on Le Mans, World!

rdean said:
Don't forget boys and girls that the 24 Hours of LeMans starts Saturday, June 17th and Audi has entered a TDI. The First time a Diesel has ever been entered in a major racing event.:cool:
http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=2128
Actually, Audi entered the "R10 TDI prototype in the 12 hr Sebring on March 18, finishing 4 laps ahead of the gasoline-powered runner up, marking the first time a diesel prevailed in a major automobile endurance race" (Featured Article - Winding Road online magazine, Issue 10).

The article goes on to state that the Le Mans would be "diesel's coming out party" The is a great article! As noted above, you will need to subscribe.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
At least subscribing is free. :D

And, I found the Geo Metro article quite funny, too. :p

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
It was interesting to hear the announcers at the beginning saying the car doesn't smoke, and it's virtually silent. So far both Audis are ahead, only 23:45 to go!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Difficulties befell the No.7 Audi twice during the third and fourth hours. A brief off-track excursion around 19:15 happened as the car cut a corner and lost some time; no explanation for this momentary aberration has been forthcoming.

Shortly before 20:30 the No.37 Belmondo Racing Courage Ford suffered a catastrophic tire failure near Indianapolis corner, tearing the entire rear bodywork and wing from the car and pitching it across the track into the armco on driver's left, removing the front bodywork. The car came to a halt and its driver, Yann Clairy, got out of the car unaided, as the marshals extinguised a small blaze on the grass behind it.

The No.7 Audi R10, which had been immediately behind the No.37 Courage at the time, dived into the pit lane at the next opportunity. It was wheeled into the garage, jacked up, and did not return to the race for over twenty minutes. Danish television reported the car had a smashed windscreen, and also required new fuel injectors, a new engine ECU, and a new fuel filter. Driver Dindo Capello had earlier been heard saying the engine of the No.7 was not running cleanly.
Sounds like VW techs throwing parts at it, hoping to fix the problem.:D

I wonder how many injectors were replaced in 20 minutes.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Audi still in 1st , with very good time, too bad Speed channel has no picture

jmasciulli

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S DSG, 2004 VW Golf GLS TDI (sold 2014)
With about 2 hours to go @ 0857 EDT, the TDI still has an overall 5 lap lead. They showed a shot of the car about 10 minutes ago on Speed.

jmasciulli

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S DSG, 2004 VW Golf GLS TDI (sold 2014)
TDI wins LeMans!!!!!

They were talking about the fuel that the Audi is using on the Speed Channel broadcast. They said that it was a very low sulpher fuel that gives the TDI more power. They said they need to bring it to America.

We need to shout this victory from the rooftops! The Audi TDI team came in third as well. Not bad!:D

It was beautiful to hear the commentators sing the praises of the TDI. They said that if a car broke down on the final lap, the TDI could tow it out!

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
I'm curious, you guys think this will have much impact on U.S. buyers? Is there much awareness of Lemans, or are we more focused on Nascar and homegrown racing?

scrubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
At one point the radio announcers were mocking all the hybrids
we have in the U.S., saying diesel was going to be the future, etc.
I hope somebody at VAG wakes up and spins this as best they can.
If nothing else, it may keep some of my buddies from knocking
diesels as having "no passing power".

rdean

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Bright Green, Jetta, 2002, Blue Lagoon (RIP)
Thunderstruck said:
I'm curious, you guys think this will have much impact on U.S. buyers? Is there much awareness of Lemans, or are we more focused on Nascar and homegrown racing?
Well maybe Audi will start bringing thier TDI's here. I did see an Audi commercial last night that kept showing the R10 in the background as they commented on Audis' performance. I think that events like this can only be a good thing once Americans learn that they can get a high performance car with great economy.

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
I heard one announcer say the R10 has an all aluminum engine. They had a few bugs (injectors, turbo, gearbox) but it didn't involve engine parts like the heads or pistons. Pretty impressive!