Venting in a MKVII

hankster88

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 Golf TDI S 6M-Sold
Greets, long time lurker, second time poster...
I am new to the TDI family and came across venting in the forums. Does my 15 Golf have the ability to be vented as I can not seem to find the button(insert bad joke here). Also has anyone tried a ventectomy on these yet. I do not know if it would be easy to do as the gas flap also contains the DEF port.

Cheers!

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
Is this for sure the case? I am thinking this tank does not fill completely, at least not like my last "vented" PD JW. Notice when I fill up you don't get much in past first click at the pump. And when driving comes off "F" real quick, ie 80-100 kms in...

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
You can get more in. Have to pull the nozzle out a bit. But you can get it all the way up to the lip of the filler neck.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Rather than starting a new thread for a simple question, maybe I'll jump in here with a related topic.

Does the SportWagen have a bigger fuel tank than the Golf? I'm a little disappointed with the range of the Golf Mk7. It gets the same mileage as my Mk4, but the tank is smaller. Mk4 can easily reach 1000km per tank, and the Mk7 can only go about 800.

I realize it's the addition of the urea tank that limits the size of the Mk7 tank, but does the larger SportWagen have a bigger fuel tank?

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Rather than starting a new thread for a simple question, maybe I'll jump in here with a related topic.

Does the SportWagen have a bigger fuel tank than the Golf? I'm a little disappointed with the range of the Golf Mk7. It gets the same mileage as my Mk4, but the tank is smaller. Mk4 can easily reach 1000km per tank, and the Mk7 can only go about 800.

I realize it's the addition of the urea tank that limits the size of the Mk7 tank, but does the larger SportWagen have a bigger fuel tank?
Nope, same size.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Removing the nozzle activates the vent. The best way to top off is with the nozzle mostly removed from the filler.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
So in the almost 7 years since the last post has anyone found a way to fit more fuel into these turds? I get 430 a tank if I’m lucky in mine and it’s all highway as I’m getting 31-33mpg highway currently, although I’m sure it’s because of emissions issues.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Getting 430 on a highway tank seems low to me. What do you mean because of emission issues? Do you have something broken? And if so why not get it taken care of under the extended warranty coverage?

I get right around 400 on a tank with an absolutely horrendous (for a TDi) commute of less than 10 minutes. All highway I've gone 600 miles between fill-ups on multiple occasions. That's running down near zero indicated range, typically try to stop before that on road trips, but generally never filling up before 550. Of course, if your highway driving is all at 80+ maybe that explains it. Someone else would have to chime in. My highway driving is typically on cruise control right around 70.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Getting 430 on a highway tank seems low to me. What do you mean because of emission issues? Do you have something broken? And if so why not get it taken care of under the extended warranty coverage?

I get right around 400 on a tank with an absolutely horrendous (for a TDi) commute of less than 10 minutes. All highway I've gone 600 miles between fill-ups on multiple occasions. That's running down near zero indicated range, typically try to stop before that on road trips, but generally never filling up before 550. Of course, if your highway driving is all at 80+ maybe that explains it. Someone else would have to chime in. My highway driving is typically on cruise control right around 70.
31.2mpg all highway at 75 on cruse in flat low traffic Texas.
dealer couldn’t fix it so I took it as I had to be somewhere for training. Glow plug light flashes a lot but I’m getting it deleted soon which will fix it the right way.

Most I’ve ever gotten was 450 on a tank and I ran it waaaaaay down, 42.5 was the best I’ve ever gotten in 70,000 miles of fuel tracking.

basically I was just hoping there was an option to get more fuel in the car, but I guess not 😑

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I'm in Cali so deleting is not an option. But if you haven't done any modifications yet find a dealer (even if you have to go out of the way) and get the car running right under warranty. Then do your deletes or whatever modding you want.

Why put any money into "fixing" something when you don't know what is broken? Of course, if you're already modded, or out of warranty then have at it.

But that car has never been right if you've never got more than 450 on a highway tank. What codes do you have? Glow plug light could be emissions, I guess... but it likely points to something that deletes won't fix, IMHO.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
To the point of the topic, best I've been able to do is simply feather the fuel pump trigger once it clicks off a couple times, and then trickle-fill until I can see fuel (sans bubbles) right up at the neck. Also ensures that my fills are consistent.
Driving in terrible TDI conditions (<20km around town, temps barely above freezing) I'll get similar to @sardo_67's 430miles (700km); but out on the highway, cruising at 115kph (just over 70mph), 800 is the norm before I get the warning light. Last trip I would've easily been over 1000km on a full tank, but I filled with at least 7-8L still in the tank).

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
One of the few disappointments I've had with the Mk7 is the reduction in fuel capacity from 55 L. (Mk2 thru Mk6) to 50 L. It made sense that TDIs might need a smaller tank because of the addition of the DEF tank, but the gas models, too? Cost savings, no doubt. 55 L. has been the rule of thumb for most Euro models in this size class for years. I'd be even more disappointed if I owned a GTI or R, but maybe the performance tradeoff would make it acceptable.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
buy a passat, they still have 18.5 gallons, sadly the MFD will screem at you after you've burned through 16 gallons begging to be refilled.

Also the US 4mo GSW/Alltrack has a slightly larger tank at 14.5 gallons.

As for euro mk7 TDI, they don't have DEf systems so they most likely have a larger tank as well (seeing they also have mk7 4mo TDI).

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
buy a passat, they still have 18.5 gallons, sadly the MFD will screem at you after you've burned through 16 gallons begging to be refilled.

Also the US 4mo GSW/Alltrack has a slightly larger tank at 14.5 gallons.

As for euro mk7 TDI, they don't have DEf systems so they most likely have a larger tank as well (seeing they also have mk7 4mo TDI).
When I want a Passat with a larger tank, I drive my 25 gal. B4 wagon!

Euro Mk7 TDI & TSI hatch & wagons have 50 L. tanks, too.

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
31.2mpg all highway at 75 on cruse in flat low traffic Texas.
dealer couldn’t fix it so I took it as I had to be somewhere for training. Glow plug light flashes a lot but I’m getting it deleted soon which will fix it the right way.

Most I’ve ever gotten was 450 on a tank and I ran it waaaaaay down, 42.5 was the best I’ve ever gotten in 70,000 miles of fuel tracking.

basically I was just hoping there was an option to get more fuel in the car, but I guess not 😑
There's a massive hint right there!
That puppy doesn't flash without a reason.
If only there was some sort of diagnostic tool that could provide some clarity on why this is happening.... that would be awesome so very useful!

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.

I cannot remember where I read it but letting the fuel tank run down to near "0" miles SUPPOSEDLY is not good for the lift pump. I guess the pump has to work extra hard to bring the fuel to the front?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I would buy that... and I wouldn't make a habit of hitting zero. I've gone 20+ miles past zero indicated once, not on purpose, and it was frightening.

It was more to illustrate that 430 on a highway tank is absolutely not normal. At 600 miles of pure highway driving I'm not yet at zero, but I'm close and wouldn't do it without GPS showing me distance to the next station.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
When I want a Passat with a larger tank, I drive my 25 gal. B4 wagon!

Euro Mk7 TDI & TSI hatch & wagons have 50 L. tanks, too.
4mo wagons def have a different size.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I routinely get about 600 per tank on highway and city driving like a senior citizen on the right lane

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
There's a massive hint right there!
That puppy doesn't flash without a reason.
If only there was some sort of diagnostic tool that could provide some clarity on why this is happening.... that would be awesome so very useful!
Oh ya I know all the codes and what’s wrong with it. Only took 100+ days and 2 dealerships plus calling VWOA who send an engineer out to look at it. The real problem is it’s stock.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Oh ya I know all the codes and what’s wrong with it. Only took 100+ days and 2 dealerships plus calling VWOA who send an engineer out to look at it. The real problem is it’s stock.
Nah, the real problem is the whatever issue is causing your fault(s). Another real problem is those two dealerships. Sadly having dealer issues is a real problem for lots of people.

Your car being stock is not the problem leading to sub 450 mile highway tanks. Something broken on your stock car is the problem.

Also... what are the codes you have? Might help someone in the future if they see a reduction in fuel economy. They might see pending or intermittent intermittent codes similar to yours and be able to fix their car before things get too bad.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
The real problem is whoever is trying to diagnose/fix the problem doesn't know what they are doing.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Nah, the real problem is the whatever issue is causing your fault(s). Another real problem is those two dealerships. Sadly having dealer issues is a real problem for lots of people.

Your car being stock is not the problem leading to sub 450 mile highway tanks. Something broken on your stock car is the problem.

Also... what are the codes you have? Might help someone in the future if they see a reduction in fuel economy. They might see pending or intermittent intermittent codes similar to yours and be able to fix their car before things get too bad.
no being stock is the problem.
first dealer was the bad one, 2nd is better and VWOA sent out an engineer to go over everything 4 weeks ago settling on the cat being clogged since the first dealer replaced the DPF only.

No more waiting on them as I have an appointment for next week to delete it.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
no being stock is the problem.
first dealer was the bad one, 2nd is better and VWOA sent out an engineer to go over everything 4 weeks ago settling on the cat being clogged since the first dealer replaced the DPF only.

No more waiting on them as I have an appointment for next week to delete it.
You just disproved your argument. A clogged cat is the current problem. Caused by a faulty DPF, which the first dealer replaced for whatever that reason was, and failed to diagnose the full problem. With those things working the car is just fine stock.

Sure your deletes will remove a potential failure item. But it's like my radio staying on and draining the battery dead. Dealer diagnoses and replaces the faulty radio. But now my battery having been down to 0 volts no longer holds a charge so anytime I don't drive the car for 2+ days I need a jump. And then my fix... delete the radio because the problem is the radio is stock.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
You just disproved your argument. A clogged cat is the current problem. Caused by a faulty DPF, which the first dealer replaced for whatever that reason was, and failed to diagnose the full problem. With those things working the car is just fine stock.

Sure your deletes will remove a potential failure item. But it's like my radio staying on and draining the battery dead. Dealer diagnoses and replaces the faulty radio. But now my battery having been down to 0 volts no longer holds a charge so anytime I don't drive the car for 2+ days I need a jump. And then my fix... delete the radio because the problem is the radio is stock.
nope. Deleted now and isn’t a pile of ass. Actually has decent power and is worth keeping now.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Haha... it's fine. You think that deleting something that's broken is the fix for the broken thing. Your emissions equipment is still broken, just not on our car anymore. It being broken is why you were getting trash highway mileage. Deletes solve your problem, sure. But your problem is not something wrong with the car. I'm glad your problem is solved.

If your parts weren't broken (as clearly indicated by failure lights) in the first place you would never have seen a highway tank as awful as 430 miles. My Mk4 GTI gets 430 highway miles on terrible CA 91 gas... it has a tune for 93 from when I lived on the east coast. If my Mk7 TDI was getting 430 miles on a highway tank I wouldn't keep it as is, I would have VW fix it. I'm in CA so that would mean replacement of the failed equipment. But my car is/was not broken. It has full emissions equipment, stock, and gets 600 on a tank without issue.