Ventectomy Pics

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
02 & 03 Jetta TDI,99 Beetle TDI, 04 Chevy Duramax 2500HD 4x4
I want to perform the ventectomy but there used to be a thread with pictures. I can't find it anywhere. Even the one in TDI 101 doesn't have pictures.

Does anyone have a link to one?

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I just hit the button with the end of the pump nozzle. Get the same effect without having to tear into the car.

osesu96

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI - Platinum Gray
Follow GWillie's process. It takes 10 minutes and is quite easy to do. Works a lot better when done.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I did this to my son's new (to him) Jetta a couple weeks ago. Forgot how to do it, it had been so long, but gwilli's pictures jogged my memory. Took about 5 minutes.

It's a great mod, makes filling the tank easier. After a while you can notice when the tone of the whistle of the air coming from the vent changes and it's time to slow the pump flow down to top up. Tank after tank of 700+ miles makes it worthwhile.

laxman21

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Meh, I tried this and could get the damn thing out. So, I just used some pliers and bent the plastic surrounding the button so it would hold it open. Would have saved me a hour of my time.

As a side note, I left my cap off yesterday and started the engine up and it drained the filler neck down to were I couldn't see diesel any more. Wounder how much more I could have got in there. Will have to experiment next time.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Meh, I tried this and could get the damn thing out. So, I just used some pliers and bent the plastic surrounding the button so it would hold it open. Would have saved me a hour of my time.

As a side note, I left my cap off yesterday and started the engine up and it drained the filler neck down to were I couldn't see diesel any more. Wounder how much more I could have got in there. Will have to experiment next time.
Have you ever had the displeasure of being on a motorcycle mid curve and hitting a patch of spilled diesel fuel? It's like being on ice, so please always remember to put your cap back on...

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed

because you didn't do it right. use google for instructions.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Recently did this on both my cars. Hardest part for me was figuring how to get the black plastic collar out! I was afraid of breaking something (plastic door and hinge), but finally just decided to push/compress it some and then swing it out- wasn't aware that door and hinge came out with the collar. After that it was pretty easy. Remember to line up the neutered plug properly so that it pops back in fully; note the orientation of the straight edge on the valve body.

First full tanks on my cars I got 729 miles and 746 miles. Had been getting about 100 miles less before. Clearly I'm getting 2 gallons more in these things.

For filling technique I just go by pump shut-off, as I'm not going to train my wife on the finer points of fully topping off (and risking spillage). I run the pump full throttle until it shuts off and then I run it again at 1/2 throttle. I fill up at the same truck stop and pump (most of the time) in which case I can expect to be fairly consistent such that my mileage calcs are pretty accurate.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
When topping up turn the pump handle on its side or completely upside down. This gets the check valve out of the way and won't foam the diesel. You should be able to get it coming out almost clear.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm just wanting a simple procedure, one that my wife can follow :)

For me, clicking the nozzle on at 1/2 speed, after it's tripped off the first time, this procedure delivers almost 2 gallons on the nose. I believe 2 gallons is the claimed improvement for this mod. I have, however, only topped off/filled up a total of four times since the mod, in which case this is only my short-term observation.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
.......First full tanks on my cars I got 729 miles and 746 miles.......For filling technique I just go by pump shut-off, ........run the pump full throttle until it shuts off and then I run it again at 1/2 throttle. I fill up at the same truck stop and pump (most of the time) in which case I can expect to be fairly consistent such that my mileage calcs are pretty accurate.
last tank was 955 miles.
always fill till you see the fuel. i can pump more than 2 gallons after shut-off. not seeing fuel, it's a guess where it is. just saying.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
The other benefit is it makes your hand calculations as accurate as possible.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
last tank was 955 miles.
always fill till you see the fuel. i can pump more than 2 gallons after shut-off. not seeing fuel, it's a guess where it is. just saying.
Hey Deejaaa,

I do the same type of fill up...until I see clear fuel with no bubbles.

Just out of curiosity...how many gallons are your usual fill-ups?

Do you ever put more than 16 gallons in?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
When topping up turn the pump handle on its side or completely upside down. This gets the check valve out of the way and won't foam the diesel. You should be able to get it coming out almost clear.
Thanks!! I will do that next month when I fill up (20 mile round trip, my coolant temp does just fine).

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
last tank was 955 miles.
I'm not trying to me macho here. And, that's really my point- MY "procedure" is something that is expected to be followed by my WIFE. I don't wish to have her out in the cold trying to eye whether fuel is at a given level or not, and I don't want want to increase the risk of splashing diesel out on her.

I can be pretty anal about some things. This is not one of them.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
But, but... you have to be Macho... I mean, so you can say you got 955 miles out of tank.

Instead of just being happy knowing most people are doing good to get 350 miles from a tank.

laxman21

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
because you didn't do it right. use google for instructions.
Thanks...Oh wait, you weren't there and are clueless as to what I did or what instructions I followed.

Let me help you, I followed all the ones posted ITT. Been wrenching on cars for 35+ years, it wouldn't budge as I tried various ways to persuade it out. Wasn't gonna break something and cause more headaches and $. What I gave was an alternative that works very well.

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks...Oh wait, you weren't there and are clueless as to what I did or what instructions I followed.

Let me help you, I followed all the ones posted ITT. Been wrenching on cars for 35+ years, it wouldn't budge as I tried various ways to persuade it out. Wasn't gonna break something and cause more headaches and $. What I gave was an alternative that works very well.
follow the rules that were posted and there won't be any questions. why reinvent the wheel? I've been wrenching 35 years also, so what.
Hey Deejaaa,....Just out of curiosity...how many gallons are your usual fill-ups?

Do you ever put more than 16 gallons in?
16.2 is the most mine will hold.

But, but... you have to be Macho..http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...9nu3ycGp4Vs1Wha28IJBIw&bvm=bv.101800829,d.eXY.. I mean, so you can say you got 955 miles out of tank....
anyone can say it but it'd be a lie.

laxman21

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
follow the rules that were posted and there won't be any questions. why reinvent the wheel? I've been wrenching 35 years also, so what.
I'm typing very very slowly so your reading comprehension will allow you to follow.

The vent wouldn't come out. Period. It wouldn't budge. UNDERSTAND? I don't know why or care. I came up with what would have been a faster method that works just fine. A little heat and pliers and your done in less than 30 seconds Get it yet?

If you don't like it, well boo hoo.

Oh they're rules...Bwahahaha! I'm a rule breaker and I follow my rules that work and are faster.

jjwill

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (Manual)

Thank you! I was in the same situation and this was the perfect alternate solution. I'm very glad you posted this and it also saved me a bunch of time.