Vehicle Shipping Company recommendations!

tdi-eyed

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta Wagon
Hey all, I need to ship my TDI across the country and wonder if you have any recommendations on a reliable and truthworthy independent hauler or company. I was going with Dependable AutoShippers (the best among the worse), but they got bought out and are quite a mess.

Any recommendations? Would love to throw my business at a small, independent operator.

Last edited:

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
I got a 38' sailboat delivered through an "independent" on this site. Probably over 10 years ago, so it's been around a while. I didn't have any issues but I have no idea how honest or biased or manipulated the listings/ratings are.
https://www.uship.com/

Last edited:

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
I have never shipped a car to a buyer. But I bought 2 on the east coast and had them shipped to me. Never a problem when using 4 Corners Auto Transport. The sellers never complained to me about them, but that means nothing, maybe they bugged the sellers... I have no monetary interest whatsover in this company, and found them by accident

http://fourcornerstransportservices.com/

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I've used shippers 4 or 5 times. It's a crap shoot. The first few I did through a broker. The very first one I did worked out very well. The second one I used also did okay. The third one I used was a disaster. The car finally did arrive but it took over a month.

I then thought I'd try Uship. That one did work out well. So, the next one I also did through Uship. It was a short 3 hour haul, BUT very precious cargo. The lady did very well.

If you are searching for a broker or quotes for a load. Be prepared to get either your email or your phone blown up..

dweisel

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
Here are my 2 cents. Bought a car from a member here about a year or so ago. Before I purchased the car I google transportation companies and they inundated my email with requests for quotes, once they quoted me the prices looked great so I choose what I thought were the best value ones ....well once the car was purchased they said to me that the price they gave me was just an "estimate" and if I really wanted my car to be picked up by one of their drivers I needed to offer more money that was originally quoted....I tried uship and the experience was similar....at the end of the day I ended up paying about 200-300 more than what they originally quoted and the experience was stressful....good luck

Last edited:

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I should of started a thread on some of my shipping experiences. They are a learning experience. Sometimes funny,sometimes frustrating. When it all comes down to it. You're always better to pick up the car yourself,even if you have to hire a driver to help you out.

dweisel

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
My TDi and wife's RAV4

2015 RAV4 fron OKC to Tulsa, and 2015 Golf from MO to Tulsa. We had both "Dealer" transported. All papers signed in front room.

Cost was figured into the price. No problems.:D

Funktilt

TDI
2015 SE
I've had good luck with A-1 Auto Transport the only time I've done the long distance shipping thing. I'd look for something enclosed whoever you go with. Too much risk of damage with an open carrier going long distance.

That's too bad about DAS. I had heard they were a good option from a few folks.

machinebaby

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I bought a car a month ago off of this site from amber jstn and am in the process of shipping it from Boston to Los Angeles using uship.com. Let me tell ya, it's been a nightmare. If jstn wasn't such a saint it would have been a sight worse.

We cancelled the first contract after zero progress towards assigning a carrier in 3 weeks. The second broker was better, but the carrier was a toad. Almost no communication, promises to call back then ignoring calls, refusal to pick up at the agreed location. Finally the seller, god bless his heart, agreed to tow the unregistered car to a home depot this past Sunday to accommodate the carrier's terms. The seller and I both confirmed with the carrier the day place and general time. The carrier called Saturday morning to say he was there to receive the car, as though that had been the plan all along.

Long story short, more evidence that Uship.com is a crap shoot. Lots of moving parts and little to no accountability. I ended up having to rely heavily on the good nature of jstn, may you be as lucky if you find yourself in my shoes!

Remains to be seen if the car will actually arrive, currently planning to see it here this weekend.

Last edited: