Veggie update

JimNorman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta sedan auto; 2003 Jetta wagon 4-speed
It's been awhile, so here goes:

Jetta Sedan Automatic 2001, purchased at 148,000 miles.

Converted to veggie (Greasecar) soon after purchase.

First veg oil filter change after 5,500 miles on veggie; cut the filter apart to see what was inside, and it seemed clean. The were no symptomatic reasons to change filters; I just wanted to see what was happening inside.

Car now has 168,000 miles, and still running on the second filter that was installed after 5,500 miles (14,500 on this filter). Yesterday, the car started show signs of fuel starvation while on veggie, so I purged and switched back to diesel and the hesitation went away. I think that 14,500 miles is WAY beyond the recommended service life for a filter, but it does indicate to me that I must be doing a reasonably good job of filtering my veg oil before pouring it into the tank.

I'll change the filter as soon as the rain stops. I hope the hesitation doesn't come back when I switch to veggie again, after changing the filter.

Jim

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
Cool. My brother's got 75,000 miles on his GreaseCar kit ('03 Jetta) with no problems at all after fine-tuning his in-house and in-car filtering systems.

WB9K

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Sounds great Jim. I'd have to agree that you must be doing a very good job with your pre-tank fuel filtering. It's got to just be the filter starting to clog.

I'm hoping to have my WVO setup (homebrewed using parts from almost all of the major kitmakers) installed in the next couple weeks. I've got new injector nozzles (Bosio stock version) on the way and the local guru is going to help me install them and set popoff pressure to the high end of spec. (Thanks to Franko6 for this bit of advice.) After that, it's install time. Keep on greasin'!