VCDS Worthwhile?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I’m facile enough with computers, always been a Mac guy. I’ve learned a lot since buying my burst TDI in 2001, but I’m by no means a car guy or a mechanic.

I just got a 2015!Golf Sportwagen 6-speed. How much would a very basic VCDS setup cost? I’m thinking the software, cable and the cheapest used Chromebook I can find.

My thinking is that I’d be able to understand codes better, change basic stuff like how the steering feels, eliminate stupid passenger seat belt codes, etc.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Vcds is 100% worth it in my experience. I took a lot longer to get it, but once I got it, I realized what I was missing.
Its $199 and can be got from Ross-tech themselves or for free shipping from cascade german or fcpeuro

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
That’s for the software AND cable?
The software is downloaded free from Ross-tech.com and so long as you have a genuine Ross-Tech cable, it works correctly. It's a one time cost, unlike some of the subscription type scan tools or the ones that sell the interface and software separate.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
YES! One self-done injector change and it will pay for itself. I like the monitoring blocks to follow regens, coolant temps, oil temps, etc. I also took a little longer to get it and feel it is absolutely worth it. The only con is that I have to have a laptop in the car to run it, but others have used tablets.

Bonus -it is also a generic OBDII scanner for most newer vehicles including non-VAG.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I don't believe VCDS runs in Chromium, but I might be wrong. Some people, if I recall correctly, had success using bootcamp and stuff like that in Macs

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
License is in the cable. You want this one.
Since you bought a newer car you may have for a while, it might be nice to have. But if you're not gonna wrench on it yourself you may not need it, though it's always good for troubleshooting.

Nickmix

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI
If you are going to work on your car then it is definitely worth it. If not then it will be a waste of money.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
If you are going to work on your car then it is definitely worth it. If not then it will be a waste of money.
I disagree. Even if you don't do your own work, it's very useful for customizing the car to your liking and as a dealership BS detector.

If the OP can read his own codes he can post them here and get knowledgeable and honest opinions as to the likely issue, putting him in a better position to deal with mechanics and service advisors.