VCDS Worth The Purchase? (DPF Filter Light)

HateMy2012TDI

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
My commute was 14 miles each way for the first 4 years of ownership.... no plugged DPF. I monitor EGT's and never interrupt regens in progress. My VCDS is worth every penny for many different reasons, none of which involve trying to manipulate the regen process.

Wife has driven MKVI TDI for 9 years with shorter commute... no plugged DPF. I taught her to monitor rpm when idling in park. 800 rpm means no regen in progress, 1000 rpm means active regen and time to continue driving until complete. She loves to hate her TDI when the regen starts just as she's pulling in the driveway, but knows that interrupting can lead to problems with the emissions components.

As others have suggested, you obviously have chronic issues that lead to your repeated DPF problems. Armchair diagnosis is blame your driving habits/short commute. I doubt that is the cause, even though it may contribute.

Easy solution is to delete, but you've already said that isn't an option.

Don't kid yourself and think that controlling the regen process with VCDS will solve your problems and make you change your username to LOVEMY2012TDI. If the root cause of your chronic plugged DPF isn't fixed, your headaches will only continue.
Thanks for this information. I took it in to the dealership yesterday (different dealership this time) and was told I should be, at least once a month, driving it for at least 45 minutes at 3500RPM. I told the tech this seems extreme, especially when the owner's manual says 15 minutes for 2500RPM. His response: "that manual is BS."

I've heard about monitoring the idle RPM and driving afterwards. I do have to be honest and say that I don't continue driving around a third of the time this happens. Figured my current driving habits would cover this but I was wrong.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
The extended highway runs will help. I don't drive any differently during a regen, just stay up to speed (2200-2500 rpm) until it's done. 45 minutes at 3500 rpm seems a little extreme. I'd say give it more vigorous exercise weekly or daily... drive it like you stole it and, as much of a PITA as it is, try to avoid interrupting a regen.

Pre-fix, my longest regen lasted 30-40 minutes but most weren't near that long. The main effect of the fix was an increase in the frequency of regens and a noticeable drop in mpg.

Hayze

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
I've had my TDI for a year and a half. DPF Light is on now for the 5th time. Still under warranty but Nox catalyst has been replaced twice, and forced regen cleared it twice.

I want to be able to force regens on my own so I can clear the filter before the light goes on, and force regen on my time , instead of the regen process starting as soon as I park the car after my drive.

I have zero experience mechanically, but VCDS looks pretty straight forward. Is it worth buying so that I can manage the soot levels on my own, or should I just pursue getting rid of the vehicle? At this point I see these being my only two options, as a delete is illegal in my state.
Hi there!
I have had my 2009 jetta tdi for almost 2 years.
There are a few things i will point out as far as my experience and based upon the time laps for your dpf light.
Every time i start my car the dpf light will come on. After 2 minutes of driving it will disappear. There are times i would say about once a month the light will stay on, the intercooler fans will kick in and i will hear the turbo for about 30 minutes with dpf light on. Which tells me its regenning.

The fact that you stated the light is on for the 5th time, and only having the car a year and a half. That appears to be normal operation to me. I wouldn't panic about the light being on the 5th time, your car is indicating that the filter is full and needs to be cleaned on a routine rolling regen. (regen while you drive)

**** AS VOLKSWAGEN INSTRUCTIONS STATE ******
When the light is on, the car will initiate a regen when engines is warmed up to operating temperature.
Your goal is to keep the rpm's higher than 1,500 and not higher than 3,000. Anywhere between 2,200 to 2,500 during the regen process.
If your doing highway for 20 minutes and the dpf light appears, put the car in semi auto mode, and drive in 5th gear (if your driving a 6speed automatic.) ride it in 5th on the highway doing about 60 to 65mph (if legal to drive speed) till you get to where you need to go. You can also finish a proper regen doing city driving if you keep the rpms in the respected ranges (2,200 to 2,500).

*** IMPORTANT ****
Forcing regens will shorten the lifespan of the DPF filter,
wanting to do a forced regen anytime you want using VCDS will not only hurt the DPF filter but overcook it. Which will have you end up buying a new dpf filter.

2nd, you have to understand that a 2012 tdi will not use any def fluid, or (adblue system). Doing a forced regen on VDCS will definitely bake your dpf filter if your doing this often.

I do not recommend constant forced regens with VCDS from my experience as a semi truck driver and operating diesel vehicles with emissions equipment installed on them.
The reason,
Most mechanics I see that work for Peterbilt always have 1 resolution to every problem. (Were going to do a forced regen),
6 forced regens ago and 2 months later, (oh you need a new DPF filter, this one is plugged up and way to bad for us to send off to get baked and cleaned out.) Now its ($9900) for a new filter.

You say you have 0 experience mechanically. (Dont get yourself in hot water that you shouldn't be in, because you just may tear your car up using VCDS)

I encourage you to take a look at this video, Which is from the Volkswagen Ireland channel on youtube. The man in video explains the same process as I have instructed in this thread on how to manage your cars regen when the light comes on. And also explains a little bit of key information on how the DPF Filter works.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Intercooler fans huh? Its normal to have the DPF light on? Every start? I'm not sure popcorn is a good breakfast choice but that seems to be the way today is starting off.

Hayze

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
Intercooler fans huh? Its normal to have the DPF light on? Every start? I'm not sure popcorn is a good breakfast choice but that seems to be the way today is starting off.
Sorry let me re-word my explanation on the intercooler fans.
They will spin faster than normal where you can hear them with the windows down if stopped at a stop sign or street light, when the car is in the middle of a regen. They dont spin as fast when the dpf light is off unless the car is hotter than normal (during summer time temps).

Yes when I start the car every time the dpf light will come on, then go off as soon as I start driving, sometimes 30 seconds of driving, upwards of 2 minutes max. Yeah it seems weird, and has already been discussed between me and few other tdi owners (they dont have that happen to their cars)
However since i owned the car, it has been doing this ever since the car got the emissions recall warranty deal from the emissions lawsuit or buyback program that VW had.

I dont get any cel codes related to dpf, or egr issues.
Could it be an electrical issue? Maybe, but i yet to see cel codes related to sensors for emissions and dpf.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's rad fans not intercooler fans.
How are you scanning for codes? VCDS?
What you are describing is not normal (just like you've already mentioned from the others who don't experience the same above).
The system on these is quite complex and depends on like 27 different things to function properly. Drop an egt probe, glow plug or pressure sensor and it stops functioning properly.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes when I start the car every time the dpf light will come on, then go off as soon as I start driving, sometimes 30 seconds of driving, upwards of 2 minutes max.
Entertain me.... describe your typical drive\driving cycle.
If this is the "norm" for you, it sure sounds like you're always interrupting active regens so your DPF is always at the 24g threshold when you fire it up again....

Hayze

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
Entertain me.... describe your typical drive\driving cycle.
If this is the "norm" for you, it sure sounds like you're always interrupting active regens so your DPF is always at the 24g threshold when you fire it up again....
Sorry, I didn't realize I had to announce "I drive till regens complete"
Should also state again " I dont get any cel codes related to dpf, or egr issues. "

Will also say that it has been to dealer and they checked for this situation using VCDS. (Came up with nothing)
I don't have VCDS right now, I have torque pro and its been just as accurate as VCDS when it comes to check engine lights, graphs, etc.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its amazing that your dealer uses VCDS.... I bet they are the ones that added intercooler fans to your vehicle too, probably right after reprogramming the OBD to give you warning lights on every start as part of normal operation.