VCDS Works but ScanGauge does not

gbrandt

Veteran Member
TDI
ASV 1.9 TDI installed in a Vanagon
Hi,

I have an ASV 1.9 TDI installed in my Vanagon (T3). I have a scangauge that simply will not connect to the ECU. Actually I have two, one much newer than the other and they both do not connect.

I have a VCDS (Vag-com) that connects perfectly well.

My used pins on the OBDII connector are 4, 7, 15 and 16

I have tried forcing KWP protocols with no success. Any idea on what may be going on?

Thanks,
Gregor

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
I fried a ScanGuage hooking up to a TDI with an aftermarket radio in it. Do your ScanGuages work on other cars? Mine would not work at all after that incident.

gbrandt

Veteran Member
TDI
The scangauges do work on other vehicles.

I am now thinking that it's the missing ground on pin 5.

Someone has also told me that switched power to pin 1 is also required but I see no evidence for this elsewhere.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

gbrandt

Veteran Member
TDI
I do not have any help for you other than to say (and you probably already knew this) that VCDS uses the native VAG protocols and connections at the DLC. A Scangauge (or any other generic OBD2 device) will only use the generic part of the DLC.
This may help you decipher what you need and what is missing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics#OBD-II_diagnostic_connector
Ok, I can see the VW used pin 1 for switched power, but odds are very good the ScanGauge would not use that since the ScanGauge is a universal product. I'm putting my money on grounding pin 5. Will update after I've done that.

Gregor

gbrandt

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, still no working scangauge, or any OBDII reader.

Does anybody know if the ECU out of a European ECU from a 2002 even supports OBDII? That could be my problem. It wasn't mandated in Europe until 2004, but if was in North America would they not just include it in Europe?

Thanks,
Gregor

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
Ok, still no working scangauge, or any OBDII reader.

Does anybody know if the ECU out of a European ECU from a 2002 even supports OBDII?
Does the vehicle have an aftermarket sound system? I know that back in the '90's, entertainment, and the scanning interface were sometimes interconnected.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
...................ECU out of a European ECU from a 2002....................................

Thanks,
Gregor
Is that ECU the same part. no. as a 2002 North America model? If not it likley just doesn't talk Scanguage.