VCDS working under parallels on M1 macbook

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
The price and performance of the M1 macbook air finally got me to do what I thought I never would and buy an Apple machine. I did some preliminary research and figured this wouldn't work so I planned on buying another cheap x86 laptop for vcds and a couple other one-off applications, but for poops and giggles I gave it a try and it worked. I haven't seen anyone confirm it working with details anywhere so I thought I'd make a post with my exact setup for future reference.

Hardware:
2020 M1 Macbook Air 8gb/256gb
Ross-Tech Hex V2 w/enthusiast licence
Platinum brand USB-C to USB-A dongle ($10 at best buy) - Plugged into 2nd usb-c port from the edge
2015 Jetta S TDI DSG - "Tuna, No Crust" sticker low in front of drivers side rear wheel

Software:
OSX 11.6 (20G165)
Parallels Desktop version 17.1.0 (51516) - trial
Windows 11 Pro for ARM Build 22478.rs_prerelease.211008-1414 - Evaluation copy, originally installed image was build 22454

I ran the VCDS installer on windows, rebooted the guest and host a couple times (didn't try it for a couple days after doing the install). Today I plugged in my dongle and interface with windows booted. Nothing happened, unplugged vcds interface from dongle and plugged it in again, parallels popup asked if I wanted to pass it through, I selected the VM, hit test on VCDS and got the popup for a firmware update. Did the update, tested again and it worked. Interface firmware version etc is in the screenshots.

How things go in the future with licensing on windows for ARM, parallels support, etc, is up in the air. But it's working with the setup above.

Screenshots:

Comanche

TDI
Passat 2.0
I have been trying to get it to work on a M1 macbook, but even after upgrading to Parallels 17 and Windows 11 ARM VCDS won't recognise the dongle, even though parallels clearly shows it is connected under the USB menu. When manually loading VCI config it doesn't show any dongle. Any other suggestions what made it work? It would be great if I wouldn't have to keep and carry around an Intel based Macbook.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
I have been trying to get it to work on a M1 macbook, but even after upgrading to Parallels 17 and Windows 11 ARM VCDS won't recognise the dongle, even though parallels clearly shows it is connected under the USB menu. When manually loading VCI config it doesn't show any dongle. Any other suggestions what made it work? It would be great if I wouldn't have to keep and carry around an Intel based Macbook.
Have you tried different USB A->C dongles? That'd be my first guess.

Parallels expired and I haven't revisited it since then but I could try to recreate it again, maybe something changed. But when I made the post those are the exact steps I took in order and it did work, so it was at least possible then.

Edit:
I just went out and tried it with a couple different dongles and it's still working on Fusion so I can't imagine that it's broken on parallels.
Steps: Win 11 vm booted, VCDS open, tells you to open config to test interface. Plugged dongle in, plugged interface in, passed through to VM and hit test and it worked.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Same as @CTD_Chevrolet, I had my eyes on a new Apple-Silicon Mac, but was hesitating for the same reason - needing an auxiliary machine (for me, a 2013 MacBook Air running Windows in Bootcamp) - for the one or two Windows-only programs I use (VCDS and ODIS).

I had seen Parallels' support and almost spent $100 for it over the Black/Cyber sales last weekend, but then thought I'd take a look at VMware Fusion, as I've had a license for that for a decade or so.
And wouldn't you know: there's a free (for now) "tech preview" of VMware Fusion available for the Apple Silicon Macs, and while VMware isn't officially supporting Windows11 ARM....industrious geeks (said with respect and appreciation) have figured out how to get it done.
I did this with my new M1 Pro-based MacBook Pro and it worked! First thing I installed was VCDS and same thing - no issues there.

(BTW, as long as I'm posting a YT link, and I'm tired as **** at the brutally annoying ads, I recently discovered a Safari Extension named Vinegar, that gets rid of the ads; no affiliation, just wanted to share that it's the best $2 I've spent in a while.)

Datsun1600

TDI
2012 CC
Due to the extremely helpful CTD_Chevrolet, I decided to register for this forum just to add my recent experience. Please note that my Macbook Pro is the first Apple laptop I've ever owned. My current desktop Mac is about 10 years old and slow as poop. Due to not being able to upgrade it any longer (old processor), I purchased a new laptop. I had never used any sort of emulation program for running windows on a Mac. So this is all new to me, and without these great posts, I would not have been able to get VCDS up an running on my "new" 2012 CC. I am probably going to get banned for not owning a TDI...

I am not an IT guy, and am probably the last person you want to ask for help with

Hardware:
2022 M1 Pro Macbook Pro 16gb/512gb
Ross-Tech Hex V2 w/enthusiast license
Platinum brand USB-C to USB dongle ($10) from Best Buy
A23 12V battery ($3.39) from Best Buy. I needed this for my garage door remote.

Software:
OSX 12.1
Parallels Desktop version 17.1.1 (51537) that I purchased for $99
Parallels automatically downloaded and installed Windows for me. There were no options for which Windows version to choose.
Windows 11 Home v21H2, OS build 22000.318

I plugged in the Hex V2 into the ODB port and into my Mac dongle, started Parallels and then started VCDS. When I tried the Ross-Tech instructions - click [options], click [test], click [save] - it would give me an error message at [test] saying the USB cable was not plugged in (or not recognized or something). I unplugged the USB cable from the Mac dongle and plugged it back in. Then I got a message asking me if I wanted the USB to be associated with 1) Macintosh, or 2) Windows 11. I chose Macintosh. I chose poorly.

Nothing would happen after that, no matter what I unplugged and plugged back in. Even restarting VCDS did nothing. I went into Parallels and did this: Parallels Desktop --> Preferences --> Devices and chose Restore Defaults. There are three radial button choices. "When a new external device is detected: (1) connect it to my mac, (2) connect it to the active virtual machine, (3) ask me what to do. It went back to "ask me what to do" with Restore Defaults.

So I unplugged the USB from my Mac dongle again, and when I plugged it back in I got the same message about how I wanted the USB to be associated. I chose Windows 11. I chose wisely.

Then there was some message about starting Ross Tech Hex V2 or whatever and I let it do so. I was able to go through [options], [test], [save] successfully and it seems it is running normally since I was able to do a quick scan of my car.

Sorry I did not take screen shots for the above descriptions. I don't know how to take screenshots!!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've found that with the VCDS cable, I need to plug it into the laptop, wait to hear that Windows has recognized it (the little "beep-boop"), then plug it into the car. If I go the other direction (plug into car, then plug into the laptop), I have nothing but issues - usually the laptop doesn't recognize it.

gabet502

TDI
VW Golf

Hi guys, trying to replicate what you have seemed to have no trouble with. For whatever reason I'm getting this kind of driver error. I've tried everything I can think of even installing VMWare fusion but to no avail. Was this something you ran into/ have you got any advice

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was looking at your screenshot and was marvelling at the fact that it was the full-width of the screen (my installation is stuck in a approx 1024x768 window - known limitation of that version). So went looking and found the latest Tech Preview version - thanks!!

As for your issue....sorry - I got nothing. Maybe it's an issue with that latest Tech Preview version of VMware...(?). I'm keeping both handy just in case.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Quick update - my Ross-Tech v1 HexNet gets recognized just fine. Resolution is still funky for me, though. I had to change it to 1440x900, but every reboot, everything comes back super-tiny (at literally 1440x900 instead of Retina double-pixel density. 🤔

Mangaia

TDI
Audi A6 C7 BiTDI

Hi guys, trying to replicate what you have seemed to have no trouble with. For whatever reason I'm getting this kind of driver error. I've tried everything I can think of even installing VMWare fusion but to no avail. Was this something you ran into/ have you got any advice
Hey, have you figured out how to fix that? I’m getting the same as well.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My understanding is that the HEX-USB interface (dongle) is a "legacy" device in Ross-tech's lineup.

You could try the install again and be sure to choose the option to INSTALL DRIVERS.

And then in the installation options, be sure to check the INSTALL LEGACY DRIVERS option.

That image is actually from the Windows11 thread over at Ross-tech; @Uwe (Ross...as in "Ross-Tech", who was an OG member here) posted it to answer a similar question.