VCDS turbo mode?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
been googling around and can't seem to find the answer - i know the BEW ecu works with "turbo!" mode for VCDS logging, the higher sampling rate is great for fine tuning. i know Turbo mode doesn't work on my AHU ecu or an 2001 ALH ecu that is in my brothers car. are there any later ALH ecus that support turbo mode? if so, does anyone have any specific ECU part numbers are known to work with it?

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
From our website:

In Engine controllers using KWP-2000 ,CAN or UDS, there is a [Turbo] button in Measuring Blocks screen. Pressing this button can significantly speed up sampling, for example over 30 samples per second when logging a single group in the engine controller in an early V8 Touareg. Once you have pressed [Turbo] you will remain in this High-Speed mode until you exit the Measuring Blocks screen. Some combinations of ECUs and PCs may not play well with this function so if you get undesirable results like a dropped session or bogus data, you should exit out of the controller and get back into Measuring Blocks but without clicking on [Turbo]. This function is only available when using a HEX Interface.

This is a "smoke and mirrors" kinds of trick we are doing, in short, we are breaking the rules of how to talk to the module which gives us the higher sample rate, but can also lead to a less stable connection. This trick can't be performed on older control modules like the ALH engine uses, which I'm sure is a KW1281 where as the TDI PD ECM will be a KWP2000. You will find the protocol listed in the upper left of the Open Controller screen when you first connect to any given control module.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Ok, thanks. So none of our alh ecus use kwp2000 and will not have turbo mode, correct?

That is all I was wondering, as I am keeping my eyes out for some spare alh ecus to play with and if any had turbo capability I would have preferred to find those. But apparently that decision has been made for me :)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
From some recent research I would guess turbo mode requires a smart actuator to provide data to the ECU.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can only work the data at whatever the weakest (slowest) link is... and with the EDC15 Bosch system, it isn't all that fast. And really, it doesn't need to be. The VE TDI is a pretty simple engine, so it has a pretty simple engine management system. The "fastest" thing that ever happens in an ALH even at full redline is painfully slow even for a slow computer. ;)