VCDS Turbo adaptation fail

Boosted_TDI_4_Life

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S
So I've been trying to do an adaptation for the new turbo I installed, but when I run the adaptation I don't get any spooling on the turbo. It stays at idle until the test says it successfully completed. I'm getting 30psi of boost at 2k rpm and it goes into limp mode (overboost condition CEL) on the highway because I hold around 16-20psi just doing 65-70mph. I plan on calling Ross Tech tomorrow to get to the bottom of it, but is there something that I'm not doing correctly for the adaption to not work like it's supposed to?

Boosted_TDI_4_Life

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S
Oh I forgot to mention that the 30 psi boost at 2k rpm is from a 3rd gear pull from idle. I have logs if anyone would like to take a peek

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
so it's a new turbo? have you doubled checked linkage and connections?

Boosted_TDI_4_Life

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S
so it's a new turbo? have you doubled checked linkage and connections?
Yes, it’s the GTD1752VRK from darkside developments. I am getting voltage on the actuator position sensor from fully closed to fully open(1.5xx volts up to 3.6xx volts). Vacuum is good. It just seems as though either the ecu and VCDS aren’t communicating (which I doubt because VCDS says the adaption is running) or the ecu isn’t able to communicate with the actuator position sensor (which is also hard to believe since I can see the voltage on VCDS) or the sensor controlling the vacuum to the wastegate itself may not be functioning properly (which would be a tuning issue I would think, or a sensor not plugged in maybe?)

Ross-Tech seems to think it’s on the tuners end.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What does darkside say is good voltage?

My understanding is that it has to be within band for the ECU to accept, if the voltage is say 1.5 and the ECU needs 3, it'll never adapt, this again may be solved by software, tune flash upgrade.

Boosted_TDI_4_Life

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S
What does darkside say is good voltage?

My understanding is that it has to be within band for the ECU to accept, if the voltage is say 1.5 and the ECU needs 3, it'll never adapt, this again may be solved by software, tune flash upgrade.
I bought the stage 4 tune from Malone and they have adjusted the voltage so that the ecu is happy with what it sees. Before they adjusted the voltage it would have a constant limp mode from startup. My issue with the adaptation is that it never spools up the turbo even though VCDS will run the whole adaptation and claim success upon completion of the adaptation.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess iIm not seeing the problem, if you're not going into limp mode and getting full boost during normal driving, i think you're in a search for a problem you have no solution needed. how are you reading boost ODBII scanner? PSIG or PSI? at highway you should only be seeing 1-5 PSIG.

Why do you think adaptation needs to build boost? AFAIK all it does it cycle the N75 and verify the the full range of movement and the corresponding voltages then learn the new limits of the voltages.

If you're not getting full boost demanded by the ECU you'll get a code/limp mode. If the ECU is commanding a certain voltage of the N75 and isn't building boost you'll get a code.

Since your first post, did you get a new flash from Malone? if so sounds like that was the issue.

AFAIK Adaptation can be done under ignition on conditions, i don't believe the engine needs to be running nor the turbo hitting full boost. to prove the N75 system works.

Boosted_TDI_4_Life

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S
I’m getting 30psi at 2k rpm in a 3rd gear pull from idle. I definitely need the adaptation so that it can adjust the values throughout the range of rpm accordingly. It won’t spoil the turbo during adaptation to learn the new values. Im not getting any fault codes so I’m fairly certain that I plugged in all the sensors I needed to. I’m just confused as to why it won’t spool up during the adaptation. Malone says they have never had this happen before. 😅
Also, not that I think it needs to build boost, but just that it needs to open and close the vane while raising and lowering the rpm so that it can learn these values.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But 2K isn't idle? Idle is 8-900RPM. Why are you concerned you're hitting 30PSI at 2K, do you fell this is too low a value?

2K is max torque, and you don't need to be 100% WOT to hit max torque once tuned.

So you're running adaptation and VCDS is stating it passed adaptation? It sounds like a new flash made the Limp mode/cell issue go away. You can now do a full pull and you don't get any codes? What's the issues?

If you're concerned about tip in and how the ECU is mapped for aggressively building boost, that's up to you and the tuner.

I'm not seeing what your issue is other than you think running adaptation should build boost. The engine will hardly build boost unless there's load, and adaptation just sets a look up table used by the ECU map. Again you should be able to run adaptation with the engine off. it then uses that look up table for reference towards throttle input, RPM torque/boost demand.

One last ditch effort is to physically move the VNT actuator and view the read out of the voltage, see if you can physically move the actuator further than what adaptation runs it through. Run adaptation again and view the VNT to see that it moves the exact same limits you had just verified.

If you're not getting any codes, and VCDS stats adaptation passes, I honestly think the only error is between the steering wheel and the drivers seat.

Boosted_TDI_4_Life

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S
I believe there is some confusion here. I am unable to do a full pull because if I keep pulling past 2k rpm it will build boost to 50+psi (which I did once and the motor shook. Very scary!) I do not want to go past 30psi because that will most definitely cause motor death quite rapidly. This being said I do get engine codes for over-boost conditions in a couple different scenarios including 3rd gear pulls (for logging of values for my tuner) and normal driving (getting 18psi on the highway at 70mph will throw codes for over-boost conditions).

There is a basic setting for IDE02703-Reset learned values quant. meter. unit and press. contr. valve. I’m wondering if I should do this and then try the adaptation? I don’t understand how the adaption could be done with the engine off unless it is literally just opening and closing the vane to learn the values… but it is really confusing to me when I’ve watched videos of others doing adaptations with the engine on and it will rev the motor and show rpm and actuator position sensor voltage.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The sequence of events and how you're describing them maybe leading towards the confusion.

So IMO it's a software issue.

Also how are you reading this PSI? you never stated if its PSI or PSIG?

18 PSI is only 2-3PSIG and perfectly normal for cruising at highway. At 2K if you're reading 30PSI under acceleration, that's only 15PSIG again well within normal operation of a tuned car.

I've seen 40-44PSI via ODB scanner on our passat with stock turbo and malone flash, that's about 30PSIG.

When you are seeing 50PSI that's the issue of over boost, and the tuner will correct this, adaptation won't.

Boosted_TDI_4_Life

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S
I have a boost gauge that measures psi just before the map sensor. It reads just over 0 at idle and it only has markings up to 30psi however. So when I say 50+ psi it’s already jumped way past the 30 psi mark and I’m just guesstimating to it’s actual reading.

Malone says the issue is that I have to do the adaptation, but you say the issue is the tune? Why is that? Also, why am I getting limp mode and overboost condition cel when I’m at 18psi if this is “normal” operating parameters?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow so much more info that would have been great in the first post.

There could be two problems issues with the turbo VNT physically moving to its limits, or tuning, it's up to you to rule one out.
When VCDS says it passes the adaptation then my guess is it's in Malones court.