VCDS: Specified boost VS actual, WAY off.

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
I'm getting no codes, the car seems to act okay to me, but I have never driven any other TDI'S.

When full throttle, the requested boost from the ECU is the maximum, which is 1950mbar.

The actual (Real) pressure, seen in the VCDS tops at a little bit more than 2500 Mbar when full throttle.

This seems wayyyyy too much and I'm affraid I might bust something in the engine. this is near 36 PSI!

Where should I start looking?

Thanks alot!

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
I'm getting no codes, the car seems to act okay to me, but I have never driven any other TDI'S.

When full throttle, the requested boost from the ECU is the maximum, which is 1950mbar.

The actual (Real) pressure, seen in the VCDS tops at a little bit more than 2500 Mbar when full throttle.

This seems wayyyyy too much and I'm affraid I might bust something in the engine. this is near 36 PSI!

Where should I start looking?

Thanks alot!

Sounds like you have an overboost condition, which is a fairly common problem on these cars. (Do a search in google for "alh tdi overboost" and you will see a ton of results, most from forums on this site.) This overboost could eventually lead to a condition while driving called "limp mode," which feels like losing the turbo on your car as the computer shuts it off for safety, sometimes throwing a CEL, sometimes not.

For a start, this thread has detailed instructions for fixing this problem:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=179589

Also, you could check out my recent thread where I dealt with a very similar issue, although what caused my overboost could be very different from what is causing yours.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=493238

Also, that 2500 mBar is not the actual boost the turbo is producing, both the actual and requested boost visible in VCDS are values of the pressure in the intake manifold which is atmospheric pressure + boost. So in order to get what level of boost your turbo is making, you need to remove whatever the atmospheric pressure is where you are (usually around 1 Bar or 1000 mBar) from the total value you are seeing in VCDS. So for example, at your spike, assuming atmospheric pressure of 1 Bar, your turbo was producing 1500 mBar of boost which equates to ~21.75 psi. This is still high, but not as high as 36. The danger to your turbo depends how long it is staying at this boost spike.

That should get you started.

Last edited:

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
Thanks a lot for the reply, quick and precise!
I'll start from there!.... when I get time!

Nice day to you!

G.b.