VCDS price changes

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Yes, though you can get the V2 (non wireless) version for $299+$169 for an unlimited VIN version.

Given VCDS Hex+CAN+USB has been the same price for a decade, I'd say the new price is not that bad given it should be capable of growing with newer VW electronic architecture for some time to come.

penclnck

The pro is pricey though.
IMHO, it is dirt cheap. Look at how much other Pro tools cost from Snap On, AutoLogic or OTC... what do you get for $600?

HEX-NET Pro, +11 VINs, so

11 VINs = $54.55 per VIN
15 VINs = $40 per VIN
20 VINs = $30 per VIN
25 VINs = $24 per VIN
30 VINs = $20 per VIN

From Snap-On, one of the cheapest tools I could find is the "ETHOS® Plus Scan Tool and Software" which is $1595. Then it looks like another $729 for the "software keys". So $2324 total.

30 VINs = 77.46 per VIN

Now to be fair, the Snap-On tool will most likely support a much wider range of vehicles, but I have my doubts it will support VW/Audi as well as VCDS.

For all the people who say they need unlimited VINs.... how many cars do you think you will actually need that for over the course of say 2 years? If 30 cars sounds about right... charge people $20. Its an investment, it ain't UNICEF, okay?

https://youtu.be/rQ4G-pEgwuA?t=36

I'm not sure what the factory scan tool setup is going for these days, but when I was at the dealer, it was about $8000 and it sucked. ODIS, what little I've used of it, sucks worse, but I'm sure the price wasn't adjusted for level of suck-i-ness in a downward pattern. :eek:

I'm gonna get dinner on the grill....

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Mobile would be really nice, but I'd rather not give up the unlimited VIN I have now.

I've scanned over 10 different vehicles since I've bought the unit two years ago, some friend from here, some family and some others. Never thought of charging, but a beer/coffee is always good.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
whats with the VIN issue?

Is this some new version of vcds where you can only use it on certain amount of cars?

i have hex+can usb cable i bought 4 years ago and scanned well over 100+ cars with it by now

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Mobile would be really nice, but I'd rather not give up the unlimited VIN I have now.

I've scanned over 10 different vehicles since I've bought the unit two years ago, some friend from here, some family and some others. Never thought of charging, but a beer/coffee is always good.

Thanks Mark!

Wanted to see if my phantom cam sensor fault was still present at the last GTG....but "someone" forgot lol

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon

Scans don't count towards the VIN limit.

Uwe said:
Oh, and just plugging it into a car, doing a scan, reading measuring values, and even clearing fault codes does not require that car's VIN to be registered in the cable. The requirement to register a VIN comes when you start doing invasive stuff like coding changes, basic settings, adaptations, and so on. We specifically do not want to prevent enthusiasts from doing basic diagnostics on their friends' cars.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5212374&postcount=10

Simon