vcds mods

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I just have to laugh. I drive with DRLs and fogs on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was going to kill mine, I got tired of installing new bulbs every 4-6months..

But carrying kids, I just turned them down to 35%, and deactivation during blinker.

I did discover British instrument panel to avoid door chime overrides drl kill during blinker....

Sent from my s-off'ed m7 with cm11!

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
I just have to laugh. I drive with DRLs and fogs on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just have to ask. Now that fogs are standard on most trucks and SUV's, why are people using their "fogs" even when it's not foggy? Hell, why not turn on the brights, too?

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I just have to ask. Now that fogs are standard on most trucks and SUV's, why are people using their "fogs" even when it's not foggy? Hell, why not turn on the brights, too?

Show me the light!!

killrbee

TDI
2012 JSW, DSG
Is there any way to vcds the reverse lights to the emergency brake handle? Or another switch?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Is there any way to vcds the reverse lights to the emergency brake handle? Or another switch?
I don't think so, but you can always try contacting rosstech...

Why would you want to do that anyway???:confused:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
tailgaters
Tail gaters earn the action of hard e braking without bulb warning.

I'll back off the throttle, jam a gear down, tug that ***** hard, then when they're inches form me I'll mash some last split second hydraulic assist.

Yeah. Don't tail gate me. You will get a ticket.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
tailgaters
Reverse bulbs won't help. People who tailgate simply lack common sense. Reverse bulbs will at best confuse them and at worst completely ignore them.

Best solutions that won't cause road rage yet still get them off your rear bumper:
If you're in the left lane of a highway (passing lane) MOVE RIGHT and allow them to pass (this is state law in many states see here for more info).
If they are tailgating you on a 2 lane rural road wait for a safe area or when there's a stright bit of road with no oncoming traffic and put your right blinker on lightly apply brakes and move over to allow them to pass.
Tail gaters earn the action of hard e braking without bulb warning.

I'll back off the throttle, jam a gear down, tug that ***** hard, then when they're inches form me I'll mash some last split second hydraulic assist.

Yeah. Don't tail gate me. You will get a ticket.

How exactly does that help anything but your own pride?

The only way that'll end is both you and the tailgater ticked off and both cars in the body shop for a week or more. Not to mention the massive inconvenience the whole thing created by you slamming the brakes. Sure, law dictates in some places if you rear end someone it's automatically the fault of the rear ending person.

What if they have a dash cam that's becoming more of a common place thing and they take you to court and you loose?

What I'm getting at is this:
Take the easy way and be kind and courteous to your fellow drivers. We share the road. Maybe they are in a legitimate rush to get somewhere. Move over or gesture to let them go around you. This'll work 99.9% of the time. If it fails call 911 and report the driver. Brake checking tailgaters will more then likely lead to a road rage incident.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Never been rear-ended. I do it at least on dry pavement. Come on, I'm not that big of an *******.

The last surprise always works and they keep 4-6 car paces away.

I'll slowly engine drag and let them creep up a few times. If they don't catch on, then I get nasty.

Especially in a car, when they're so close you can't see their headlights, either mirror or actual head turn, that's ridiculous.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
This thread is slowly devolving into how to combat road-rage. ATR has it right.
By provoking an incident at best either or both cars get damaged, at worst it turns into a side of the road beating or shooting. With gun laws the way they are in the USA, why would anyone put themselves into the position of asking to be shot by another driver?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Did another mod.

Spooned off studs and goes on my half worn summer skins.

I disabled the wireless tpms since one was broke, and spare tire is missing one.

So for a 3rd time, I got angry having to clear a light with the laptop.

So I just disabled all tire monitoring and I un-checked it in the can bus module.

My previous 20 cars had no monitoring, I can survive this time as well.

Also installed cheap LEDs all around car except headlights, and disabled load check in central electric. Done.

killrbee

TDI
2012 JSW, DSG
ATR, You should assume that the people posting in this thread have already had driver training. This is a thread about VCDS mods

swcrow17

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Do tell more about this :D
Mirror Adjust Menu in MFA for 2011+
Description: Gives you a menu in the MFA to adjust mirrors together or individually.
Check bit 6 of byte 8 in Central Electronics Long Coding Helper

Now...you have to manually make them go down when in reverse, but helps when backing up...doesn't matter if selector is in L or R position....they'll both go down/up together.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Mirror Adjust Menu in MFA for 2011+
Description: Gives you a menu in the MFA to adjust mirrors together or individually.
Check bit 6 of byte 8 in Central Electronics Long Coding Helper

Now...you have to manually make them go down when in reverse, but helps when backing up...doesn't matter if selector is in L or R position....they'll both go down/up together.
Ahhh, I remember messing with that setting before.

FWIW polarfis will dip the passenger side mirror down automatically when reversing.

swcrow17

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Ahhh, I remember messing with that setting before.

FWIW polarfis will dip the passenger side mirror down automatically when reversing.
Do tell me more about this magical polarfis

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I read there were issues with it. Unless the bugs have been squashed. I'd rather run that instead of extra gauges all over the pillar and column.

2009 compatible?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I read there were issues with it. Unless the bugs have been squashed. I'd rather run that instead of extra gauges all over the pillar and column.

2009 compatible?

No issues here at all. Been running it for about a year now.

Polar fis should work in any vw after 2005.5 with a higher-endmfd. To keep this thread on track please see the tdiclub thread about it here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=414187

Feel free to ask any questions you have there.

To directly answer your question about weather or not it will work I have a post in the thread about it here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4956395&postcount=330

shane.short

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2000 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2011 JSW DSG(sold back to VW)

2009 compatible?

I love mine! Works great for me! :)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

2009 compatible?

works fine in mine.

2009 red display.

only the turn signal stalk buttons. my steering wheel only turns the car., honks the horn, and I think has an air bag. no input devices.

a little clicking involved, but it works just fine.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=437696

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Turned off the DRL indicator (which always seemed pointless to me), and the seatbelt light/chime. Where's the option to turn off the DRL on one side when the turn signal on that side is on?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Turned off the DRL indicator (which always seemed pointless to me), and the seatbelt light/chime. Where's the option to turn off the DRL on one side when the turn signal on that side is on?
I think convenience module? It's in the same as the drl disable.

You disabled the indicator? Or the drl themselves?

On my 09s drl disable during blinker is only permissible if instrument panel is coded for North American.

I tried British with imperial readouts, because it disables door chime, but overrides drl deactivation during blink. Grr.

So I turned drl to 15 or 20 percent instead of 98, to save bulb life. Since I carry kids I don't want them completely off.

I also turned turn brake lights into rear tail lights along with factory tail, double the running light, and when I had incandescent in those, had those to 15 percent. Before side markers were led, those were 30 percent. Blinkers as parking lights @ 10 percent.

Vcds is fun.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
You disabled the indicator? Or the drl themselves?
I disabled the indicator. I don't have any beef with DRLs (as it seems many do); though I'm not convinced they add significantly to safety, it seems likely that they'd help a bit. But the DRL indication on the dash seems completely pointless--if the parking brake is off, and you haven't turned other lights on, they're on.

Also turned on "indicator celebration", which doesn't do anything useful, but looks cool.

I remember seeing instructions for disabling the seatbelt warning that called for coding the cluster to GB rather than US/NA, but I didn't go that way--I stepped through the long coding for the instrument cluster and the convenience module, and it was one of the bits in there. Sorry, I couldn't say which one off the top of my head.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I disabled the indicator. I don't have any beef with DRLs (as it seems many do); though I'm not convinced they add significantly to safety, it seems likely that they'd help a bit. But the DRL indication on the dash seems completely pointless--if the parking brake is off, and you haven't turned other lights on, they're on.

Also turned on "indicator celebration", which doesn't do anything useful, but looks cool.

I remember seeing instructions for disabling the seatbelt warning that called for coding the cluster to GB rather than US/NA, but I didn't go that way--I stepped through the long coding for the instrument cluster and the convenience module, and it was one of the bits in there. Sorry, I couldn't say which one off the top of my head.
Oh. Interesting. What year car? Maybe it's not available on 09.

Whats indicator celebration?

And yeah, you can disable everything except door chime with American coded cluster. I wanted all chime including door chime disabled. That was my road block..

Post steps if you could on the drl indicator disable and indicator celebration. Thanks.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Car is a 2013 JSW TDI. Indicator "celebration" (also called "staging") sweeps the tach and speedo from 0 to max and back to 0 when you turn on the ignition. Like I said, doesn't do anything practical, but it looks kind of cool. To enable it on my car, I went to 17-Instruments/Adaption/pick "indicator celebration" from the drop-down (it's quite a way down), and set it to active. That's all.

I can't give exact steps for the DRL indicator ATM, but IIRC, it was also under 17-Instruments/Coding/Long coding. Step through the bytes, and one of the bits should be something like "DRL indicator active". Uncheck that, and save the coding. If it isn't there, it's in 09-convenience, but the coding for that module is gigantic.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Yeah, I think the earlier modules don't have any of that fancy stuff.

Sent from my s-off'ed m7 with CM11