VCDS Mobile email notification this morning...

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
It didn't seem like an argument over the platform so much as people on OS X/iOS wondering about features of the Hex-Net and then those questions were met with people questioning the platform itself.

It seemed like the initial questions, at least, were relevant to the thread but that's because for the past few years those of us using Apple devices have been asking about a VCDS version for us to use. I think many thought this product was aimed to address that gap in VCDS compatibility.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Please describe a roadside repair that actually requires coding. Personally, I can't think of one.
Wait.. I'm on top of this mountain and I just have to enable remote windows. RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW!!!!!! :D

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Please describe a roadside repair that actually requires coding. Personally, I can't think of one.
I have great respect for you and your company, so I hate to rain on your parade, but I had just such an event yesterday.
A friend got a CEL and the fault code said that he needed a new differential pressure sensor on his DPF (Sensor G450). He bought the new sensor and it had to be adapted by going into the ECU and using the "Coding II" functions. If you had access to a VW dealer to buy the part, this could easily be a "roadside repair" (or maybe a parking lot repair). Most roadside repairs will not require "the cloud", but there are exceptions to this rule.

Have Fun!

Don

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
I could see a situation in the shop environment where they forget about the adapter and it drives off with the car. What about adding an alarm if the adapter breaks contact with the tablet, phone, etc?

Indeed; we think quite a few people (especially shops) will use it exactly that way much of the time.

But there are lots of other ways to use it as well; for example you can just leave it connected in your car all the time (it has a low-power sleep mode so it won't kill your battery when your car isn't running). Now you're away from home and something doesn't seem quite right with your car? Pull out your phone you're carrying anyway, connect to the HEX-NET's WiFi and check for fault codes or look at live data.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
I could see a situation in the shop environment where they forget about the adapter and it drives off with the car. What about adding an alarm if the adapter breaks contact with the tablet, phone, etc?
There's a software controlled beeper on board. I'll have to check whether the "Annoy the customer who has just driven out of range of the shop's WiFi network" feature actually got implemented. If it's not in there yet, it will be at some point soon.

There's also an attachment pin for a lanyard. The lanyard would presumably hang down into the car's footwell, where the customer would notice it and tell the shop, "Hey, you left something in my car". Maybe signal orange with "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" printed on it?

-Uwe-

Uwe

I have great respect for you and your company, so I hate to rain on your parade, but I had just such an event yesterday.
A friend got a CEL and the fault code said that he needed a new differential pressure sensor on his DPF (Sensor G450). He bought the new sensor and it had to be adapted by going into the ECU and using the "Coding II" functions. If you had access to a VW dealer to buy the part, this could easily be a "roadside repair" (or maybe a parking lot repair). Most roadside repairs will not require "the cloud", but there are exceptions to this rule.
Seriously, you're gonna replace the differential pressure sensor on the DPF without putting the car on a lift? If so, you're a better man than I. ;)

-Uwe-

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Giving up on purchasing Hex-Net

I wanted to get this but being in California it seems impossible.

1. I was ready to buy on the promised 10 Feb 14 date but R-T had to delay until 13 Feb 14
2. I was out of town on 13 Feb 14.
3. On 14 Feb 14 went to place an order - sold out! Told to wait until next week. Arrgh! 3 day holiday weekend.
4. Today I go to buy - sold out! Told to wait until tomorrow.

It seems that they are "sold out" before I get up in the morning.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nope! I'm retired. However, the fact that you did not give your workers a holiday is immaterial - based on my experience Friday and today, you would have been "sold out" before I had a chance to order. :D

Uwe

Actually, we had units available in our store for most of the afternoon yesterday. However, we were able to reproduce and fix another bug and aren't taking any more orders until we've shipped the ones that were ordered yesterday. This is taking longer than it should because we're updating them all before we ship 'em.

As for our employees, they all get 11-12 paid holidays per year, plus 3 weeks paid vacation, which rises to 4 weeks after 5 years of service. Not closing the business on minor holidays gives them the flexibility to use some of their paid holidays when it's most convenient for them. ;)

-Uwe-

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds like you have a good holiday/vacation plan then.

So, should I call in my order rather than using your storefront?

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
..... we're updating them all before we ship 'em .....
Will we need to return the HEX-NET adapter to Ross-Tech for future updates or will we be able to perform any required updates ourselves and if we can do updates, could you please briefly explain the update procedure (i.e. does it require access to a Windows PC)?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good point, roostre. If a WinPC is needed for updates rather than just via a WiFi connection from any platform, it will be a fail for me. I'll just bite the bullet, buy a standard VCDS interface and a WinPC.

Last edited:

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
I'm not worried about finding a Windows PC to use temporarily in case updates cannot be done with a MAC.

I'm just hoping to not have to send a HEX-NET adapter back to Ross-Tech for a future update.

Santos_V

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor
Will we need to return the HEX-NET adapter to Ross-Tech for future updates or will we be able to perform any required updates ourselves and if we can do updates, could you please briefly explain the update procedure (i.e. does it require access to a Windows PC)?

Updates are done via internet and browser. The HEX-NET will check and notify the end user when it detects an update. You can also force it by clicking the "Check for updates" button.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wanted to get this but being in California it seems impossible.

1. I was ready to buy on the promised 10 Feb 14 date but R-T had to delay until 13 Feb 14
2. I was out of town on 13 Feb 14.
3. On 14 Feb 14 went to place an order - sold out! Told to wait until next week. Arrgh! 3 day holiday weekend.
4. Today I go to buy - sold out! Told to wait until tomorrow.

It seems that they are "sold out" before I get up in the morning.

Tried again before 7 A.M. PST, and was told "sold out". Has anyone on the West coast been able to order one of these? What time in the morning did you have to get up to do so?

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Tried again before 7 A.M. PST, and was told "sold out". Has anyone on the West coast been able to order one of these? What time in the morning did you have to get up to do so?
Get the hint:D. He wants make sure it's right.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Success at last! Thanks G3TDI!

BTW, I ordered the "unlimited" version JUST to support R-T.

Last edited: