Various power issues golf plus 1.9tdi

Lenton

TDI
Golf plus 1.9tdi
Hi. 2005 golf plus 1.9tdi new turbo Chra fitted. New actuator fitted and set to move and stop at 18 Mercury's etc. Had all running OK but not quite right and only just failed MOT on emissions. Limit is 0.80 and it blew 1.20 and puffs a little black smoke until warm. Slight delay in turbo kicking in. When cold is a little hesitation but warms up and could be driven without noticing. Anyway Found the egr valve to not hold any vacuum on hand tester. Had vacuum at the hose as it sucked on my skin happily everytime I tested it. Go to store get new and install new egr thinking it was the final piece of the puzzle. No, of course not. Bellows of black smoke worse than ever. Engine idle is lumpy and doesn't like to rev. Pulled vacuum line off and now for the 1st time it isn't sucking on my finger at all. Lost vacuum. Anyone know why this car ran 95% OK with a dead Egr and the moment I bolted a new one it has decided to stop sending vacuum? The car is about to meet with a burning match very soon. Ps tested new egr with hand vac and works perfectly.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Maybe the old EGR had enough leak by to help your emissions numbers.Your loss of vacuum coincides with the lumpy idle, and not wanting to rev.
Do you have a vacuum gauge? Start at the vacuum pump and brake booster and check for vacuum and then work your way towards the passenger side checking all the solenoids/switches for vacuum leaks.
Look here:

Lenton

TDI
Golf plus 1.9tdi
Yes they are great tools. Its what I used to diagnose the egr. An accidental tap on the vacuum solenoid finally pin pointed the final piece of the puzzle. The solenoid was sticking. Give it a sharp whack and it runs perfectly (though very noisy). Not sure how or why but the turbo failure has taken out the actuator the egr and the solenoid. Have new solenoid on order and look forward to finally being back on the road.

Lenton

TDI
Golf plus 1.9tdi
So update. 3 vaccum solenoids tried. 1 totally dead. Another very noisy and a 3rd works OK. The dreaded black smoke has gone. However the turbo has stopped boosting as I'd expect. This job has been 1 step forward 1.5 steps back. It barely makes sense how it was boosting ok with a dead egr and a stuffed vaccum solenoid. Replace those and now it won't boost. It revs in neutral ok and no smoke but it drives like crap. Last week it was at least whistling like a turbo should. I'm sure it will pass emissions now and was due today but upon arrival the MOT station was having system issues and have bumped me to tomorrow. Someone somewhere is making this car a bad omen.

Lenton

TDI
Golf plus 1.9tdi
I have read that the "nipple" on the vacuum pump being loose is a problem. My nip (oh dear) has been loose since a year or more when the gearbox was swapped out. I accidentally broke the hard plastic pipe. Used some reinforced hose and that's when I noticed it spins and was very loose. Perhaps this is another dead end but tomorrow I'll buy some JB Weld and do the temp repair that's written about in these pages and YT etc and if that cures the problem, I'll be buying a ebay special ASAP. Seems a common issue for low boost and vac issues. Really can't be much left. Though my brake boost is working correctly... Hmmm?

Lenton

TDI
Golf plus 1.9tdi
So the saga has been on going.
Took the car into a mechanic and he's confirmed Turbo rebuild and all peripherals are perfect but stated they'd like to look at the injectors. Now they've offered to have them sent away for reconditioning and cleaning but as per the norm. I've got all big headed and decided to remove them myself and replace o rings and whatever came with the kit off eBay. Pretty Carboned up and lumps of the stuff removed. I didn't use any pokers and wire brushes due to the invasiveness of these techniques. I replicated the spray with a can, hose and spraying through the injector end. Pattern looked healthy to me on all 4. Carefully reseated and use new stretch bolts. Torqued correct and was yet again proud of a 1st time job seemingly well done. Won't effing start. After a while and put of desperation,decided to get aggressive. Dragged it up and down the road on a tow rope. After about 100 meters it fired up but rough as anything. Why is it that everything gets worse when replacing worn or broken parts or in this case cleaning and rebuilding? The only thing not changed is the injector pump. I have already done the metal epoxy trick on the loose nipple. I've read some say you can adjust the timing on the injector pump but I can't find anything for me generation car and the videos I do find are for older vw diesels. Can anyone confirm if there is a retarded etc adjustable on the BXE 1.9 TDI PD 2005 engines injector pump? It's the same pump that has the infamous wobbly nipple. And is bolted on the opposite side to the timing belt etc. Many thanks in advance.