Vancouver/Lower Mainland GTG - July 17th

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
After the annual Lake Stevens GTG this month (which was amazing as always!) and before the Fix'Um Haus GTG in August (another do-not-miss GTG!), we need to have a local TDI GTG!! It's been a long time since our last TDI GTG in Vancouver, but now it's time to get back to our regular "local" GTGs.

So the date of the next GTG will be on July 17th at 11 am until whenever the last person leaves. The address is Unit 8 30508 Great Northern Ave, which is the 3rd street after you exit Highway #1 at the Mt.Lehman exit. There's penty of parking and everyone is welcome. There will be kids and dogs so feel free to bring the whole family! Just make sure to bring some camping chairs to sit in as seating is pretty much non-existent.

Link to Google Maps

Last year the interest and attendance was pretty decent but let's try and get some more interest and enthusiasm so we can make 2011 a better year for GTG's!! And don't forget that the shop that's hosting the GTG (JS Performance) has mentioned to me that they're looking at TDI Club specials on things like maintenance and related items, as long as there's enough people showing up, so let's make sure we get those TDI's out to the GTG!!

Food and Drink Sign-up

1. Zedbra - pop/juice for adults and kids alike
2. Anasopia - Halal Beef Burgers
3. VixenTD -
4. Mark Malone - Cheese platter

Parts and Maintenance Supplies To Order

Last edited:

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey Guy's i may not be able to make this on as it is our holiday of the year and we are traveling up North to Terrace and beyond. We are coming back on the 17'th but i am not sure what time. If we come on a decent time we will pop by but it will be with the Tent Trailer and the truck. SORRY NO TDI :confused:

If we make it home a day earlier than we will come by with Meangreen.

Harald

anasopia

Veteran Member
TDI
02 .:R-TDI
Looks like I'll be able to make it out to this one! I'll ask for the day off this weekend, should be plenty of time as a heads up :b

Look forward to seeing everyone!

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Joel and Darius, it would be great if the 2 of you could make it up across the border and join our humble little GTG!

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
I cant promise anything at this time. but I will do my best to make it for this one. With the little one on the way the missus has kept me busy with chores and task's on my day off.
Btw Leigh-Anne I need a bottle of Stanadyne if you have some at the shop.

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Damn it! 2 days after we leave the LM for 25 days of glorious vacation and a small road trip to Manitoba!

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
My new TDI is supposed to arrive just a few days before the meet. Crossing my fingers for the schedule to be OK and come out for the gig.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If we don't get more interest in these GTG's there won't be any future GTG's because they take a lot of time and effort to organize, not to mention the fact that the host shop is giving up their one day off in order to open their shop for us all!

Apparently the Vancouver/Lower Mainland TDI owners don't appreciate what they have because the lack of response is very disappointing!!

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
There are a LOT more TDI owners in & around the LM that are not registered on this site or have any clue that someone else shares the same passion. I think that finding another avenue to advertise and recruit perspective GTGers would be a good start to expanding attendance.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are a LOT more TDI owners in & around the LM that are not registered on this site or have any clue that someone else shares the same passion. I think that finding another avenue to advertise and recruit perspective GTGers would be a good start to expanding attendance.

I'm well aware that the percentage of LM TDI owners that are actually registered here is very low, but I also know that I personally sent out PM's to each and every Vancouver/LM TDI owner that's listed on this list in hopes that I could get some more attendance! It's the lack of interest, even after this effort, that makes it very frustrating!

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
.......don't know what you got 'til it's gone......

This IS a great place to meet and exchange information, ideas and talk in general. Jose is a great technical resource. Other GTGs are few and travel is further. To take your only day off and give it to others is a great gift. A BIG thanks to Jose and Leanne for putting forth the effort and Ed for his persistence.

Last edited:

anasopia

Veteran Member
TDI
I've started recruiting local TDI'rs from via vortex, dubberz, and by just rolling down the windows at stop lights and inviting people out! gotta mount my tdiclub plate, we need to be more active in spreading the word!

http://dubberz.com/forum/index.php/topic,54071.0.html

Heres my link to the dubberz.com post!

Still plenty of time to be positive and get people out!

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'm well aware that the percentage of LM TDI owners that are actually registered here is very low, but I also know that I personally sent out PM's to each and every Vancouver/LM TDI owner that's listed on this list in hopes that I could get some more attendance! It's the lack of interest, even after this effort, that makes it very frustrating!
Ed, I apologize because I am one of the people that you speak of. I really do want to come to one of these GTGs but they just always seem to conflict with other things I have going on.

This upcoming one is while I am on vacation!! It just never seems to fail!

I appreciate you adding the link above though. I heard you mention that thread before, but I have never seen it. I have now added my name to the list so that I will get your PMs!

Thanks for organizing these. I know how frustrating it is organizing events that aren't as well subscribed as they SHOULD be.

Cheers,
-Chris

anasopia

Veteran Member
TDI
Great! welcome to the club! hope to see you there!

1. Ed's TDI - burgers/hotdogs/buns
2. Zedbra - pop/juice for adults and kids alike
3. Anasopia - Halal Beef Burgers
4. VixenTD -

Turbine

TDI
2000 Golf
I wish I could make it. I've had the worst luck with GTGs since last year. Yet again I am out of town the 15th-17th :( I would LOVE to be there, one of my favorite things to do!

Ed, thanks again for the organizing.
Jose and Leigh-Anne, thanks for hosting.
All others, thanks for your attendance etc.

I wish I could attend and support these great events more often. Hope to see everyone soon!

Dean

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI(Sold)
Bad place to ask, but anyone know of a good auto body shop in vancouver?

Got someone Hit-and-run on me....

A bunch of scratches and 2 nice screw marks on my rear bumper from their front license plate.:(

Last edited:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Joseph at cosmos auto care on Adanac has always treated me really well. Don't tell him I sent you though, or he will charge you double ;) !!!

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
We might be coming back from our Holiday on saturday and i will be there if we still have a go ahead with the GTG. But i wont drive to vancouver to get the yummy sausage so i will bring the Johnsonville.s brats.They are good too.

Dean definitley not a good place to ask. But our shop does work for Craftsman and Summers like suspension work or alignment and all i say is do not bring your car there. There work is AWFULL . One of the other body shops we do work for is Fijy autbody on 5th i think and there work is better. We do deal with Burrard \Autostrasse but they are expensive and take a long time to get in. And not sure if they will take a VW AS THEY DO HIGGER END CARS

Good luck and hope to see ya guys at the meet

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I think the location and the date always being on Sunday can create some inconveniences to some people including myself. If the GTG in summer is done say at a Friday late afternoon early evening at a mall parking lot closer to the heart of Vancouver region (Willowbrook, Superstore type mall with big big open parking lot), it'd be a lot easier for me to attend. We may even pick up a few more new TDI owners right from the lot to join in. I am sure some casual gathering of 20-30 TDIs at the mall parking lot won't be rejected by the mall management.

Last edited:

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the location and the date always being on Sunday can create some inconveniences to some people including myself. If the GTG in summer is done say at a Friday late afternoon early evening at a McDonald's or a mall parking lot closer to the greater Vancouver region (Landownse, Willowbrook, Superstore type mall with big big open parking lot), it'd be a lot easier for me to attend. We may even pick up a few more new TDI owners right from the lot to join in. I am sure some casual gathering of 20-30 TDIs at the mall parking lot won't be rejected by the mall management.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and disagree with you because, in case you didn't notice, I live in Victoria and I make it out to these GTG's!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Ed, while I wholeheartedly agree that there are those that are committed and those that aren't I do think that for a lot of people who live in the lower mainland abbotsford is "way out there". My shop used to be in maple ridge, and when I asked my friends in vancouver why they didn't come out their answer was inevitably "dude, it is like a day trip to get out there" :eek:

If the meet was more central I honestly do think the attendance would be better. And I have a hard time with Sundays too.

Please take all this for what it is worth. I have never attended a gtg, so it is more important that you get feedback from the veterans!!

And this was all said with the greatest respect to Jose and the crew at jsp who graciously allow the meets to happen at their shop on Sundays!!

Cheers,
-Chris

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well it seems that the responses are all coming back the same so I guess this will be the last TDI GTG held at JSP unfortunately. I hope that someone else decides to organize a monthly GTG and that they have better luck than we did. I'm certain that the JSP crew will not feel too badly about having their one day off back and I certainly will not miss the hassle of trying to get people to attend. I wish who ever decides to step up and tries to take this on has better success than we did! :rolleyes:

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ed, while I wholeheartedly agree that there are those that are committed and those that aren't I do think that for a lot of people who live in the lower mainland abbotsford is "way out there". My shop used to be in maple ridge, and when I asked my friends in vancouver why they didn't come out their answer was inevitably "dude, it is like a day trip to get out there" :eek:

If the meet was more central I honestly do think the attendance would be better. And I have a hard time with Sundays too.

Please take all this for what it is worth. I have never attended a gtg, so it is more important that you get feedback from the veterans!!

And this was all said with the greatest respect to Jose and the crew at jsp who graciously allow the meets to happen at their shop on Sundays!!

Cheers,
-Chris
Chris, I appreciate the tactful manner in which you expressed what seems to be the general concensus. It is unfortunate that there are members that can't make the 45-minute drive out to this GTG because they consider it too far and yet there are members from Washington State that come up on a regular basis, as well as members from Squamish and myself from Vancouver Island that have no trouble making the trip.

I'm sure you can understand that I find it rather a lame excuse. For those that have other obligations, such as yourself or those that work on weekends, which I have had to do a few times, fair enough, but for others that can't spare a few hours one Sunday a month, that's quite unfortunate because they're the reason we won't likely be having a monthly GTG anymore. :rolleyes:

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Jose, leigh-Anne and Ed I am very sad to hear this.. For some reason the turn outs in Vancouver Area gtg are not that great.
I will volunteer to help do another gtg closer in in August and would love to have your guy's input and support!
That being said if you were to have an August gtg I would be totally in!
I will leave it up to the people what they want..