Vanagon Swap

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I know very little about the TDI. Although I know enough, to know it is what is going to power my vanagon syncro. I might be able to score a deal on a 1999 Jetta. Is this a good candidate for the swap or should I go newer? What are the Power gains of the newer engines. Is there a good site that can bring me up to speed on models, engine types, power outputs, and production dates? Does anybody here have expierence doing a tdi syncro swap? I think I want to do the 15 degree later model install. All info is welcome and thanks in advance.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Hi Bav, great choice of vehicles and with a TDI powering it you will love it!

There is quite a bit of info here and all the other Vanagon sites and personal swap pages.

The 99 will be prefect and the whole car will give you a source of parts that you will need to make it work.

The 99 shouldn't have the immobilizer circuit but even if it did, you can get it disabled with programming.

The block is a very close match to the 1.6 NA that came in the early 80's vans so mounting it is pretty simple.

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
nice install. I'm not sure how the 99 tdi is mounted, degrees? I noticed your install is quite tilted. What year did VW go to 15 degee mounting? I like you would rather not go through the deck cover.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
The 50 degree install was my choice. The 15 degree install is typically what VW used for transverse mounted engines. The north south installs are generally 0 degrees. This applies to the cars.

The vans are 0 degrees with the boxers and 50 degrees with the 1.6 NA diesel.

The engine I used was out of a 98 GTI and was originally 15 degrees. Now it is 50 degrees. The 1.9 ALH should bolt in the same way. If you go with a 15 degree install, you will need to source out an adapter plate and make some mounts to attache to the block.

There should be some kits out there to do this. Then you will need to modify the engine cover or allow the engine to sit very low in the engine bay.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
So, is this thread is telling me that a 99 and later TDI will bolt up to the Vanagon water boxer tranny? Or, does the application require the early Vanagon Diesel tranny?

Also, where do you get the info on programming the immobilizer?

Andrew, I sent you a PM in response to your PM.

Thanks!

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I am almost positive that the ALH will bolt up to the vanagon diesel bell housing. I think that we were talking about a 99 ALH in the original post. I am not sure about the newer BEW as I haven't had a chance to compare the block fittings to the ABA and ALH.

I had a look at the 05 Passat 2.0 TDI and it wont bolt to the vanagon diesel tranny unless a custom adapter is made.

However, Bav is looking at a 15 degree install of a 99 ALH. To do this requires an engine adapter and some mounts fabricated unless you can find a kit out there. You can use your boxer tranny in this case.

The OE install is different and will put the engine in at 50 degrees. Use the OE mounts and diesel bell housing to do this. That is what I did with my ABA.

There is some talk about the 50 degree install resulting in lots of vibration and I have to say that the 2.0 does vibrate a little more than the boxer but it isn't much.

As far as programming goes, I have discussed the immobilizer disabling with on of the local tuners in my area and he believes that he can disable it.

I think there are a couple of different approaches being discussed here and it is important not to mix them up.

1) 15 degree install.
Requires tranny adapter and mounts kit.

2) 50 degree install
Requires early 80's vanagon mounts and bell housing.

As soon as I can, I am going to take the 2.0 ABA and switch it with an ALH. I am looking forward to the added torque :)

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
All VW engines from 1974 to date that are inline four cylinder have the same bellhousing bolt pattern and flywheel bolt pattern. So the BEW has the same bolt pattern as the ALH and AHU.

All VW / Audi inline four cylinder engines mounted north south are 22.5 degrees, no zero. This would include the VW and Audi Fox, Audi 80, Passat, A4 etc.

Without modification, the ALH / BEW (read 1999 and later engins) can not be mounted at 50 degree as the early Vanagon Diesels were. The turbo will be at the wrong angle (and it can not be reclocked) and the Vanagon 50 degree oil pan bits and motor mounts won't fit.

In short, without LOTS of money and time being spent you can not mount a 1999 or later inline four motor under the engine cover of a Vanagon. It you mount it at 22.5 degrees like I did in my Syncro there is still a 5cm engine cover mod you have to perform.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Hi Dave, thanks for chiming in.

Based on this, the only 1.9 would have to be from an A3 donor car if one was to use the OE 50 degree mounting design?

Other (99 and newer) engines would require an engine to tranny adaptor and custom mounts.

Did you make your own adaptor and mounts or are these available from a vendor? I would be very interested to explore the source for these.

If I recall, you made a special hinge for the rear seat to allow it to rise enough to clear the extra height of the modified engine cover. Is this design something that you would be interested in sharing?

The reason for this is I am in the process of sourcing parts to convert my van and I want to explore all the options. Also, I have been asked to assist a local company in starting a small engine swap venture and vans are on the list as well as newer gas cars to TDI cars.

I know that you have pulled out of this type work, however, I would appreciate any guidance that you can give.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
David,

In mounting a TDI in the Vanagon, to an early model Diesel bell housing, what are the modificaitions to allow the use of the existing TDI turbo? Or, are there other adaptable turbos and exhaust manifolds that will work?

At this point, I am pretty much committed to the TDI... I have a complete engine, ECU, cluster, accelarator pedel, complete wiring harness, diesel tranny, round mount bars only and a few other things ...oh and a 1984 Waterboxer in pretty fair shape.

Also, someone mentioned a new set of gears would help lower the rpms... 3rd and 4th, with the 4th gear being a 0.70:1 ratio. Is there a vendor for the gears?

Thanks,
Andy

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
David, I am curious why you can't lay the ALH turbo over to 50 degrees. The reason I ask is because I have done just that on my vanagon. I have about 3000 miles on the conversion. What symptom should I expect from doing this? I assumed that the oil feed would not be affected and as long as the drain back was below the turbo it would work. I appreciate your input. Thank you mark

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
rsxsr, How did you find the clearance between the turbo and the left motor mount? I expect that the problem is in the turbo's position relative to the mount and the inability for it to be clocked with the tightness.

What did you do about the oil pan? did you leave the original pan from the donor vehicle?

How about the wiring, are you running the ECU etc...?

I am glad to hear that you got it to fit and it is running. Did you or are you planning any performance mods and how do you find the power?

Can you tell me what you did with the clutch and which tranny are you using. Your stock one would have been early 80's and pretty low to work with the 1.9 waterboxer.

Are you able to post pictures of your handy work?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Guys, there are some pretty basic assumptions in converting a Vanagon waterboxer or diesel to a TDI.

1). Its a must to do something about the oil pan (oil pump pick-up tube is the issue there)
2). Making provision to check the oil thru the license plate hole, i.e. dipstick set-up.
3). Same as 2 above for the coolant system.
4). Placeing the engine on the 50 degree angle unless you intend to raise the engine cover.
5). .... etc.

The issues I cannot seem to get a handle on are:

1). Will the 1999 and later ALH TDI engine bolt up to the 1.6 diesel bellhousing without an adapter?
2). Does the ALH TDI Turbo location present a problem with the motor mount (OEM motor mount)?
3). If an adapter is needed for the TDI (99 and later) engine, is it available from a vendor?
4). Where can the appropriate gears be found for the tranny. YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR TDI running 3450 rpms to maintain 65 mph.

Surely, someone has the answers to these questions. Doing research when the wheel has already been invented is a waste of time.

If I can get the TDI mounted and mated to the tranny, I can handle the accelarator pedal, the ECU, the cluster, wiring, etc.

My two cents worth!

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Hi Andy, it appears that the ALH can be installed at 50 degrees as RSXSR has accomplished. The tranny mating should be the same as earlier TD's providing you have the vanagon diesel bell housing.

The left side mount seems to be a debated topic. RSXSR has installed it and it is running for 3000 miles. The turbo must be very tight in that space but it seems to be working for him.

The oil pan is a good question and you are right that the oil pickup tube needs to be addressed. Apparently the 50 degree pan won't bolt to the ALH so we will have to see what RSXSR did for this.

I like the dipstick coming out of the license plate for ease of use.

The are a few options for the gearbox and R&P when it comes to gearing. VW must have never expected a powerful engine being installed.

I am looking at Porsche gearboxes to see if there is some compatibility.
Running a Porsche gearbox or transaxle may require a special adaptor and linkage as well.

I would like to see the RPM at 2K for 65 MPH and 3K for 85 MPH as a final outcome.

FOG

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 2-Door
bavarianwrench said:
I know very little about the TDI. Although I know enough, to know it is what is going to power my vanagon syncro. I might be able to score a deal on a 1999 Jetta. Is this a good candidate for the swap or should I go newer? What are the Power gains of the newer engines. Is there a good site that can bring me up to speed on models, engine types, power outputs, and production dates? Does anybody here have expierence doing a tdi syncro swap? I think I want to do the 15 degree later model install. All info is welcome and thanks in advance.
:) Vanagon Syncro with a gas eng. had too hi RPMs for a TDI eng. Is there a dif. ring & pin. for that trany set up to lower the eng. RPMs for a TDI?
Walt:rolleyes:

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Someone sent me an e-mail, PM or I read it in a post that there are a set of gears available to improve the rpm situation. As I remember, 3rd would be 1.13:1 ratio and 4th would be 0.70:1 ratio. They did not indicate what the ratio of the R & P would be.

I think there were two R & P ratios in the earlier Vanagon trannies, 5.82 and 5.89.

Well, its getting late........ tomorrow is work day!

April 1, 2008 is my first day of Retirement. Projects that have been on hold or in the making will commence to shape-up this Spring for sure!

Andy

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the input my bid on the 99 jetta fell through. I will continue to search for an engine and info. David Thanks for chiming in your work in this area is well known and highly respected. I would love to pick your brain for a while. If I were you though I would probably just read these for entertainment from time to time. Peace and hope all is well.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Ok, here is the deal, this will probably make David cringe. I am utilizing the original diesel bellhousing, carrier bars and rubber engine mounts. I fabricated L and R engine brackets to pickup the original rubber mounts. I am fairly certain, I started this project a long time ago, I am using the flywheel and clutch from the original diesel. I am also using the original diesel starter.

I am using flyby wire. I have the 80 pin ecu, no imobilzer, but I am using the all in one accel pedal that came in the later year TDI. There were two wires if I recall that needed to be swapped on the pedal. I took a new ALH oil pan and cut off the flange. Fabricated a new oil pan to mimic the original diesel pan from flat aluminum plates. I also made a bung to accept the original oil filler tube and dipstick. The turbo oil drain back is in the block on the ALH not the pan as the early TD was done.

I knew the diesel final drive would not work with the new TDI. I had a transaxle from an 80 gas vanagon with low mileage. I swapped the bellhousing from the diesel. I may have swapped the input shaft as well.

Once I had the vanagon on the road without any codes, I purchased 16 inch rims and tires to also help the highway rpms. I was seeing 3500 at 70mph and I believe the tires dropped it to 3200 at 70mph. I find the vanagon is more comfortable cruising around 65mph. Less lane changing, but still plenty of torque and hp if you need to pull out and pass. The nicest feature is the cruise control. I am using the ECU and VSS on the speedo. Works great.
David Marshall is respected through out the TDI conversion field. I was concerned that I may have made an operational mistake by not heeding his warning about laying the engine over 50 degrees. I did have to notch my engine cover for the pump and oil filter housing. Upon closer examination I could have gone with a remote filter and a block adapter, but since I had to notch the cover anyhow, I stuck with the original filter and oil temp exchanger. I made an aluminum 1 inch cover that is sealed and riveted to the original cover. I did swap the steel engine cover for fiberglass. Made notching easier and is lighter. I then took a peice of plywood cut to fit over the rear deck to flatten that entire area. I sleep up top and use my area behind the seat as storage. I have a rubber mat on the plywood to complete the look.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, rsxsr, in summary:

-The ALH engine bolted-up to the diesel bell housing.
-Used the diesel fly-wheel/pressure plate/clutch disc.
-Used the original diesel starter.
-Used the original motor mounts, with some modification.
-Modified the oil pan and oil pump pick-up tube.
-Used the drive by wire approach, with modifications
-Used the the accel pedal (we assume mounted in place of the original, I have heard of them being mounted in the engine compartment with the accel cable attached).
-Substituted an early air-cooled vanagon tranny.
-Had to modify the engine cover due to the IP and Oil filter.
-Used the cruise control.
-No immoblizer.
-Did not modify anything relating to the TDI turbo charger.

So, help us with the "no immoblizer." Did you have the ECU programmed to "ignore or by-pass" (searching for words) the immobolizer? Or, did your particular application not have the immobolizer?

Where/how did you mount the cruise control?

Did you make any mods to be able to check coolant level and oil level via the license plate hole?

Lastly, did you compare the circumference of the 16" tires with the OEM size tires? If so, what were the measurements (pie: 3.1416 x diameter=circumference). Some low profile tires can actually be "smaller" than what you might expect.

I have put together a matrix in Excel spreadsheet to compare various gear ratios (top gear/Ring and Pinion) to different tire sizes. It takes a fairly significant tire size change to affect engine RPM at a given MPH.

I was amazed when I learned that the little 4-bangers are all turning at very high RPMs at 65 mph. Even the 1.5 and 1.6 VW diesels are cranking well over 3200 RPM to achieve 65 MPH. There are some exceptions, but very few applications from the factory. My 1983 Air Cooled Vanagon is cranking about 3500 RPM at 65 MPH. My 1984 Waterboxer is cranking about 3400 RPM at 65 MPH. As best I can tell, the 1.5 4-speed 1980 Rabbit Diesel I use to own was cranking in excess of 3600 RPM at 65 MPH.

Anyway, its my opinion that the TDI in a Vanagon needs to be turning no more than 2600 to 2650 RPMs at 65 MPH.

Got to find those Gears!

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
So, rsxsr, in summary:

-The ALH engine bolted-up to the diesel bell housing. Yes
-Used the diesel fly-wheel/pressure plate/clutch disc. Yes
-Used the original diesel starter. Yes
-Used the original motor mounts, with some modification. Yes, fabricated brackets between block and rubber mounts from scratch.
-Modified the oil pan and oil pump pick-up tube. Yes
-Used the drive by wire approach, with modifications Yes
-Used the the accel pedal (we assume mounted in place of the original, I have heard of them being mounted in the engine compartment with the accel cable attached). Yes, removed OE pedal. I have seen an arrangement under the floor that uses the OE pedal as well. Honestly the pedal is too high. I have a small piece of wood for my heel. I have some ideas to improve, but the cruise works for long trips.
-Substituted an early air-cooled vanagon tranny. Yes
-Had to modify the engine cover due to the IP and Oil filter. Yes
-Used the cruise control. Yes
-No immoblizer. Yes
-Did not modify anything relating to the TDI turbo charger. Only the inlet plumbing and exhaust. Using Air cooled intercooler mounted flat behind the LR tailight sealing that area. Cut an opening under the cooler to duct the air through from the side vent through the cooler and out the bottom of the van. Now they have water cooled intercoolers. I like the idea of those better, except you do need an additional small radiator, hoses and an electrical pump.

So, help us with the "no immoblizer." Did you have the ECU programmed to "ignore or by-pass" (searching for words) the immobolizer? Or, did your particular application not have the immobolizer? My engine came from a 98 New beetle. I started this conversion in 2000. Did not have a donor vehicle so bought two factory harnesses and an ECU etc for the 98. The only variation was the later year pedal. The ECU has 80 pins so it predates the immobilizer.

Where/how did you mount the cruise control? The ECU can be programmed with the VAG COM for cruise control. I added a turn signal switch from a Jetta. I don't know the part number, but Greaseworks had a fair price so, I bought it from them along with the VSS sensor. I did upgrade my original cluster to one from an 86. The speedo could accomodate the speed sensor and it has a tach that I don't have working yet. Long story.

Did you make any mods to be able to check coolant level and oil level via the license plate hole? I am using only the main coolant tank. The overflow coolant tank was deleted when I ran the inlet pipe across the license plate area. Air Filter and MAF sensor are behind R/R tailight. I am using the original diesel oil fill tube. That was the bung I referrred to welded to the oil pan.

Note: This was a lot of work and took a long time. It was started in 2000 and I took my first trip last summer.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RSXSR,

Thanks for the info. I have I collected about all the parts. Its now a matter of putting it all together.

So, upon my retirement at the end of March, I hope to get into this project full steam.

I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions here and other places.

Thanks,
Andy

thursday

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 MKV Jetta DSG North Sea Green, Sugar Cube - 86 Vanagon Syncro AHU m-TDI
I've got a great spreadsheet for Vanagon transmission calculations. If any of ya'll want it PM/email me and I'll send it to you. Together with the miatagarage tire calculator you can see what you'll be turning at what speed. I've heard of a 4.11 RP but the cost is something like $1100!!! I went with a 1.18, .77, stock 5.43 RP, and 235/75/15 tires. I'm still having some tuning issues so I can't give a total report on how I like it yet. Justin might jump in with some perspective on the ALH @ 15 degrees. He just finished one not too long ago and said it was a bear.

Michael

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Michael,

Send me the spreadsheet on the Vanagon transmission calculations. ameadors@netzero.net

I am concerned about RSXSR's application. He says its a 98 Beetle. Well, did a '98 Beetle have the ALH engine? Or, was it the AAZ? But, he did say it was a drive by wire! ..... gosh, this confusing!....LOL

I am going to look at the possibilities of doing the 15 degree mount. But, right now, I am concerned about whether or not the 99 to 2003 ALH engine will bolt up to an early model VW tranny, especially the Vangon Diesel Tranny.

Okay........ well, see soon!

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Andy, The New Beetle must have been one of the first to get the ALH which is did have in 1998 through to mid 04 then it switched to the BEW.

If you are planning to go with the 15 degree install then the diesel bell housing will not help you. You will need an adapter to mate the engine to the boxer bell housing. Check out Kennedy Engineering for such a plate.

The ALH will bolt to the diesel bell housing but by default it will rest at 50 degrees. I hope this helps with the confusion.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Andy, PB, et al:

To do the 15 degree installation, you do NOT use an adaptor plate, you remove the original bellhousing and install a specifically designed bellhousing that puts the 15 degree/VW 4 banger bolt pattern at the face. There were (are) available from some vendors (you'll have to search, I can't remember their names). However, if you are really headed in that direction, we have one from our Vanagon Syncro Westy that came with a 15 degree 1.8 gasser, and is now going 22.5 degree 2.5 TDI. I don't know if the gasser mounts work with the TDI, gut the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, etc. should.

David: (if you still get to this site anymore):

There are several options for gearing the syncro. Obviously changing diffs is double the cost of a 2WD, so you really need to go for taller 4 + 5. These one can get from Long Enterprises http://www.longenterprises.com/index.htm , but David Marshall once referred me to someone on the BC lower mainland that did this swap with some wider face (as in stronger) and taller gears for the Syncro box. This happens because the Krauts, bless their little hot-rodding hearts, stuff Porsche engines into these things and blow gearboxes to bits with regularity. This also is the time to change out the very weak (crack prone) syncro operting sleeve and hub for those same gears that fails in Syncro gearboxes of that vintage. Being a doddering old fool, I put the name and number from David in a "safe place" in the computer and can't find it anymore!

David (Fast Forward) and Westyman should be the ultimate resource for who the heck is doing these gearbox mods, and we are at the point where I need to know this as well.

Andy:

You should check out the swap forum at the 80-90 club and the Brickyard. These are common swaps in the UK.

Regards - Pat

Last edited:

thursday

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 MKV Jetta DSG North Sea Green, Sugar Cube - 86 Vanagon Syncro AHU m-TDI
AA Transaxle in the Seattle area and German Transaxle in Bend, OR are two rebuilders that are reputable and widely used. I used Ken in Bend because I could easily drive there. Daryl at AA is the one who said he had the taller RP. Both have the stronger Weddle gears that are needed to handle the torque we all lust after. I'm already in at 50 but am interested in the direct bolt 15 options. If ya'll come up with more details on this, post it up! Thanks Pat.

Michael

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Alright guys, you are beginning to fill in the missing gaps (connecting the dots).

It's my long term plan to finish my 30'x54' garage which is being attached to an existing 30'x30' barn. This is going to be my retirement workshop/hobby.

At the moment, I am considering working the Vanagon niche by finding rebuildables, etc. I am interested in converting to diesel if they aren't already diesel.

So, as you can see, I am just getting into this right now. I will be retiring March 31st (34 years). So, once those honey dews (dos) are all finished (do they ever get finished), I will be really taking this thing serious (that's my hopes).

Anyway, I want to get started with that first conversion... although I have basically done all my on mechanics down thru the years, this will be a good challenge.

So, thanks for all the good info.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One question I meant to ask.

What the heck is the immobilizer?

jkeller

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Tornado Red
Have you checked out the Vanagon forum over at the thesamba.com? You might find some help there. I have an '85 weekender that I would love to put a TDI in, but it seems like a lot of custom work.

I'm actually leaning towards a ford zetec: http://bostig.com/

This guy might be able to help you too: http://www.turbovans.com/