Valve seal replacement?

dave mc

TDI
2001 Beetle GLS
Thinking of replacing valve seals with 110K total on the ALH. Only symptom manifesting is cold engine start blue smoke billow for 3 seconds til blue light off. runs great . Is this a don't mess with it situation? Suggestions if not. THX Dave

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That isn't your problem. Some start up smoke/puff in cold is normal (it even says so in the manual), but seems to vary greatly. I have two ALHs in my current rotation. The all original 1999 with 215k miles always puts out a puff that is large enough I can notice it from the driver's seat. The 2000 that was refurbished at 380k and now has 580k barely has anything at cold start. My BHW at 220k actually puffs the most, and it did it a little even when it was brand new.

Things you can check:

temp sensor values (intake, fuel, coolant) in the scan data, make sure they are all what they should be at cold start (ambient, close to the same)

any signs of fuel leaks, allowing air into the system, which can can poor combustion at start up (like o-rings on the fuel filter thermostat... keep in mind these can let air IN but not let fuel OUT, since the system is not under any pressure, which can make them difficult to detect)

battery voltage/starter condition, slow cranks can mean poor light-off

Injector spray pattern health...only way to really check this is send them out. But in your case, I'd imagine they are probably OK but could benefit from some diesel purge or even some cleaner in the tank (we use BG 245 here, but there are others).

Timing (was the belt installed properly, and was it timed correctly aftewards?)

Is the intake manifold clean? With that low of mileage, it may be carrying around some pre-ULSD gunk still.

dave mc

TDI
2001 Beetle GLS
Thanks oilhammer! Beeb starts immediately 1 second. I use 3 oz Diesel Kleen @ fillups. I always have a 2.9 mile twisty downhill startup run 3800 feet to 3000 here in western NC. Previous owner did have head cleaned/ timing belt replacement. Did not mention intake Manifold cleanup on bill. He (second owner @ 50K) did use Biodiesel until close to undrivable @85K. I drain the intercooler at 2 month intervals with 1/4 teaspoon most often. Replaced all vacuum lines (what fun!) 0-60 in 9.7 seconds. 46 mpg in these mountains over 50 on trips. 14.3v on battery startup. I'll get a second opinion cause i have only a cheapo OBD2 and no access to Vag com. Did have a quick wakeup call coming of I-95 and throwing her into a fast left and back to a fast right. Motor died with traffic coming at me. Restarted in 3 seconds Whew! Any further recommendations? Thanks for your time in welcoming me as a new member!
dave Mc

dave mc

TDI
2001 Beetle GLS
Have question on value of sound deadening by placing underhood insulation on top of my Panzer plate. Does this reduce noise and are there any drawbacks?
Thanks in advance!
Dave

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
They help, but don't last long if you have any oil leaks. It'll swell and fall off.

dave mc

TDI
2001 Beetle GLS
They help, but don't last long if you have any oil leaks. It'll swell and fall off.
Thanks Nero. Mine is aluminized which I'll place face up atop the Panzer Plate and with only 118K miles my 01 ALH has no oil leaks (yet) :).
I'll post if it helps or is a problem.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Thanks oilhammer! Beeb starts immediately 1 second. I use 3 oz Diesel Kleen @ fillups. I always have a 2.9 mile twisty downhill startup run 3800 feet to 3000 here in western NC. Previous owner did have head cleaned/ timing belt replacement. Did not mention intake Manifold cleanup on bill. He (second owner @ 50K) did use Biodiesel until close to undrivable @85K. I drain the intercooler at 2 month intervals with 1/4 teaspoon most often. Replaced all vacuum lines (what fun!) 0-60 in 9.7 seconds. 46 mpg in these mountains over 50 on trips. 14.3v on battery startup. I'll get a second opinion cause i have only a cheapo OBD2 and no access to Vag com. Did have a quick wakeup call coming of I-95 and throwing her into a fast left and back to a fast right. Motor died with traffic coming at me. Restarted in 3 seconds Whew! Any further recommendations? Thanks for your time in welcoming me as a new member!
dave Mc
I would recommend using Diesel Purge in its concentrated form in a loop to the injection pump to clean those injectors. Dumping additives might be good for prevention, but you want something that can clean them.

Here is a video on how:

dave mc

TDI
2001 Beetle GLS
Thanks a bunch Jokila! I'm ordering the kit and will post the results after performing the operation. Should I change the fuel filter before or after or not at all? Dave Mc