Valve Cover replacement...Doorman's

phawkins224

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
03 Jetta Tdi ....valave cover leaking oil...What are the opinion of the TDI forum on this replacement part....

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
Kinda nuts that a gasket alone isn't available for the ALH.

The OEM part is pricey, but I have bad luck with anything other than OEM gaskets.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
Only choice, OEM valve cover replacement. Don't try sealant or it might not come off next time. Just fork over the money now and have a good cover for another 200k miles.

The valve cover comes with a new oil cap and grommet for your ccv. I also recommend getting new valve cover bolts while you're at it.

You can get a valve cover from Bora Parts or ID Parts or Fixmyvw

All great vendors on here!
http://www.fixmyvw.com/a4-alh-valve-cover-assy-038103469e/

Last edited:

selway

TDI
jetta 2003 wagon
I bought a gasket on e-bay 25 buck s don't know if it was Chinese or what took 1 hour to remove the gasket with a demial tool the worst part then install 10000 miles later not a leak . the gaskets out there .

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
I tried a Dorman oil pan for an A4 and it was ill-fitting. The hole pattern was off enough to make the pan hit the flywheel when snugged up to the transmission. Bound it up hard enough to keep the starter from turning over the engine.

One of the aftermarket oil pans that I have run into did not have the ledge inside to support the windage tray.

Not all aftermarket stuff is bad but the OEM seems to always fit.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
I bought a gasket on e-bay 25 buck s don't know if it was Chinese or what took 1 hour to remove the gasket with a demial tool the worst part then install 10000 miles later not a leak . the gaskets out there .
Amazing. These are available on ebay and no, it's not from Pr*the. I wish I had known about these back when I had my 01 Jetta. This might be a good option (or at least worth trying) rather than adding silicone to an existing 200K mile valve cover gasket.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI

You've got to be joking.

Nothing common 'bout sense.
I like how people get all snooty and take your opinion as if you're retarded.

Your extra comments aren't needed in a thread helping someone else out, nor are they wanted. Keep that crap to yourself next time or don't post.

I just went through this process a few weeks ago. I ended up replacing the whole valve cover and not risking using something NOT intended for our valve cover.

Using sealant to help aid the gasket on the valve cover is NOT a permanent fix. Just do it right the first time so it isn't a problem later on.

I realize some surfaces on some cars call for sealant, but our valve cover isn't one of them.

Last edited:

1963gp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf TDI tech edition modified and converted to GTD, 2003TDI Jetta Smith p/u conversion, 1987 Syncro Westy TDI conversion, 1967 Westy TDI AHU. 1995 EuroCamper TDI Syncro, 2014 Cayanne Diesel TDI, 2004 V10 TDI Touareg.
had a Chinese alh valve cover loose a screw that held the baffl in the valvecover. it took out the crank position sensor and the wheel.