Value???

rltco

TDI
'03 Jetta, Dodge Cummins, 1365 Oliver (Fiat)
2003 Jetta, 5 speed, 265,000 miles. Rust free, was originally Texas car. Car kept up as I planned to run it forever. Hailed on - Insurance company wants to low ball value. Yes it is high mileage, but no rust, only a couple very minor dents (door dings), trip into and out of Chicago 2 weeks ago gave 48.8 mpg, typical from 43-46. Garaged during the winter. What should this car be worth pre-hail? Thankfully the hail damage is very minor, but really torqued that the insurance company doesn't think the car is worth anything.

Thanks!

Ray

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Condition? Caught up on routine maintenance and repairs? Timing belt, tires, brakes, suspension, bushings? Everything work (A/C, no fault codes, boost at request, intake clean, no oil leaks). Clutch new or old? Paint good, or clear coat fading? Headlights fogged?

Interior clean and stain free? Carpets in good shape? Soft touch materials look good or deteriorated? Headliner in place?

If you were selling to an individual the questions above matter, as every repair/update/replacement costs money and takes away from the car's value. If the car needs some (not all) of the above attended to it's probably worth $1,500-2,000. If it's perfect pre-hail maybe $3,000 - 3,500.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Price it out with other cars for sale. For insurance purposes, you can show them comps and argue. But I'd guess $2500-3000 for a 16yr old car with 265k.

VAG-Aficionado

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS (x2)2002 Jetta Wagon 2005 Passat Wagon
I had the same issue with my V10 Touareg... insurance company wasn't using actual comps with other V10 Touaregs (using mostly V8s) with all my options, offering me over $5k less than market value. I fought them and sent them several ads for Touaregs far more expensive than what they were offering and I was asking. Finally they agreed to a third party appraiser, who valued my car for $800 more than I was asking and several thousand more than insurance was willing to give me.

My advice would be to find comps from dealerships (they dont like private party) and keep sending them until they give you what you want. I have seen several MKIV Wagons with that mileage going for $4k-6k. check autotrader, cargurus, searchtempest.,etc.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
My 05 golf with around 200k on the clock they said 5800 this past year. My 04 4 years ago I had to beg to get to the 5000 range and show coms with less miles. This time I took what they gave as it was more then fair.

Insurance doesn't care about maintenance, it could be on original brakes, clutch timing belt and tires. They only care about what it cost to get that same car back to you to the standard person. Most people aren't vw nuts where they work on and mod like us. Go the the mini van forums to see how normal is.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Maintenance/tires done recently to our 98 Camry with 380K was exactly what got us another evaluation from the $350 original offer after it was hit from behind while stopped at a red light. The comps were a joke.