Value of Highline vs Comfortline (with all options)

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
I am comparing the COMFORTLINE and the HIGHLINE 2015 GSW (TDI MT).
More specifically I built on vw.ca a Comfortline manual with the all available option packages.
i.e. "Sight and Sound", "Convenience" and "Navigation"
And I did similarly for a Highline manual with the only option offered i.e. the "Multimedia" package.
Excluding all taxes the difference is about $4000.
And yet I don't see (anywhere near) what I consider to be $4k worth of extras between the two? :confused:
I see extra there is the leather, 12 way power seat, and 17" wheels.

What else am I missing in terms of some (important) value added features of the HL over the CL (with all the options added in)? :confused:

Last edited:

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
With the "Convenience Package" one does get the panoramic sunroof in the COMFORTLINE.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Includes Comfortline plus:
115V power outlet in cargo area
16" Toronto alloy wheels with all-season tires
12-way power driver seat
15" Lyon alloy wheels with all-season tires
Front fog lights with static cornering lights
17" Madrid alloy wheels with all-season tires
60/40 split-folding rear seats with centre armrest and pass-through
Leatherette seating surfaces
Ambient LED interior lighting
8-way adjustable front seats with power recline and manual lumbar support
Comfortline TDI adds following additional equipment:
Auto-dimming rear view mirror
Air conditioning
Engine block heater
Automatic headlights with coming and leaving home function
Alarm system
Lightweight torsion beam rear axle
Chrome front grille (TSI only)
Automatic post-collision braking
Chrome matte Interior décor
Bluetooth® mobile phone connectivity with voice activation
Chrome exterior window surrounds
Cargo area with tie down hooks and cargo cover
Climatronic® dual-zone electronic climate control
Composition Media radio - 5.8" touchscreen with proximity sensor, CD player, 8 speakers
KESSY keyless access with push-button start
Cross Differential System (XDS)
Leather seating surfaces
Cruise Control
Light Assist
Diversity antenna
Panorama tilt and slide power sunroof
Driver and front passenger front & side airbags and front & rear Side Curtain Protection®
Rain-sensing wipers
Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
Roof Rails (Chrome)
Exterior chrome accents
Sport seats
Front and rear floor mats
Highline TDI adds following additional equipment:
Front and rear reading lights
Engine block heater
Front centre armrest with storage tray
Lightweight torsion beam rear axle

http://media.vw.ca/press_file.cfm?presskit_id=189

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I don't think my copy/paste worked very well, lol! the link at the bottom is what the OP should probably read however.

MoldovaDIZEL

Vendor
TDI
mk4 TDI, 98 Cabrio AAZ
the 16 MY Wagon will all have a 1 inch rim size upgrade across all trim levels plus a lot of new tech........

Best to wait if possible....

CanadianLurker

TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige
Aside from power leather seats and bigger wheels, it looks like the other differences are: sport seats, LED interior lighting, ambient interior lighting, some interior/exterior trim differences, and forward collision warning.

From that perspective, it seems like you're better off loading up the lower model and saving some cash. But it depends if you want the leather seats, bigger wheels, and forward collision warning - the other stuff is meh.

The other challenge may be that although it's possible to get a Comfortline loaded up in theory, the dealers may not order them that way so it'll be tough to actually get one that way.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
It takes one idiot to lay $4k in extras. Then companies will believe everyone will think the same.

Dealers get pissed when I shop cars. Brag about this, zero apr, this and that.

I tell them you can sell me that car, with zero apr, fully loaded, with the same price of a non fully loaded, you'll still make money on the sale, and we both know they're near the same to manufacture, just different stuff bolted in it.

Awkward silence.

And then I'll add it'll end up being like the one I drove here in, worn out, scratched, rusted, and a half million miles, and it's worth $600 from Padnos, that I paid $30k for.

Awkward silence.

/me shrugs.

I've been called and *******, but it's because I seem to not lie by bluntly pointing out the truth.

Don't like it, change it.

Rant over.

Don't spend $4k on $1k worth of options.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
The dealers make the most money from the options.

You could haggle the price easier on the loaded vs bare bones one.

Dealers also work out their loss numbers more off of a trade in vs the actual new car.

From my personal experience.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
It takes one idiot to lay $4k in extras. Then companies will believe everyone will think the same.

Dealers get pissed when I shop cars. Brag about this, zero apr, this and that.

I tell them you can sell me that car, with zero apr, fully loaded, with the same price of a non fully loaded, you'll still make money on the sale, and we both know they're near the same to manufacture, just different stuff bolted in it.

Awkward silence.

And then I'll add it'll end up being like the one I drove here in, worn out, scratched, rusted, and a half million miles, and it's worth $600 from Padnos, that I paid $30k for.

Awkward silence.

/me shrugs.

I've been called and *******, but it's because I seem to not lie by bluntly pointing out the truth.

Don't like it, change it.

Rant over.

Don't spend $4k on $1k worth of options.
VW knows alot more how to market their cars and their options. If something didn't sale, adnustments would be made to bare what the market is willing to pay. You as a single person makes no difference to them. You think you got the upper hand by "getting a good deal" on the options? They make hand over fist on you buy making the diesel option only in the upper option groups.......and even that doesn't matter, after all you are buying one of their brand new car anyways. They are laughing all the way to their "bank".

Keeping old cars alive hurts the manufaturer more than anything you can do in the showroom negotiation.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
We ordered ours a Highline through Moldova, thanks Alex for a great deal. Highline is a completely different car than comfortline. Out of the long list the biggest difference in my opinion is Sport suspension i.e. different shocks and springs and seats the overall package makes the car handle and feel completely different than the comfortline without this suspension. We'll be upgrading the rims to 18" probably the GTI rims, again thanks Alex for sourcing the rims.

Here's what we ordered exact same manual 6spd:

http://www.eurocarnews.com/82/0/0/17245/mkvii-volkswagen-golf-variant-exterior/gallery-detail.html

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
Highline is a completely different car than comfortline.
And yet, maybe being too simplistic, the CL with all the optional packages tacked on is at face value a much better value than the HL with its only upgrade included ie "Multimedia"

Out of the long list the biggest difference in my opinion is Sport suspension i.e. different shocks and springs and seats the overall package makes the car handle and feel completely different than the comfortline without this suspension.
As a very infrequent buyer of cars I kind of consider a manufacturer's "sport suspension" as a bit...nebulous.

We'll be upgrading the rims to 18" probably the GTI rims,
Do you plan to buy snow tires for your HL?

Can you check that link again as it doesnt work for me.

Last edited:

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
You can't have HL sport seats and interior upgrades LED lighting brushed aluminum roof rails in CL [Not that everyone is a fan of such upgrades, to each his/her own but the difference is more than just multimedia even if you add all of the options available on CL].

We test drove CL and HL the same night same route one after the other and yes in this case OEM sport suspension is like day and night difference handling/feel wise.

Already have a set of winters for the 2012 on steel wheels. Same offset bolt pattern so it will fit Mk7.

The link works fine for me. Maybe right click and select "Open in new window".

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
We test drove CL and HL the same night same route one after the other and yes in this case OEM sport suspension is like day and night difference handling/feel wise.
Good to hear as we are picking up a MT HL tomorrow.

Already have a set of winters for the 2012 on
steel wheels. Same offset bolt pattern so it will fit Mk7.
That makes it easy for you.

We were debating between the Subaru Forester and the GSW. My partner wanted the Subaru but I told her that if we did get the VW I would purchase winter tires this coming season. With 17" wheels I am thinking there is less choice?

The link works fine for me.
Yes it works fine for me now.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to hear as we are picking up a MT HL tomorrow.

That makes it easy for you.

We were debating between the Subaru Forester and the GSW. My partner wanted the Subaru but I told her that if we did get the VW I would purchase winter tires this coming season. With 17" wheels I am thinking there is less choice?

Yes it works fine for me now.
Congratulations, I'm sure with winter tires it should be fine not dissing the Subaru or AWD systems but in my opinion if your commute is mostly around the GTA a FWD with winters is just as good.

Our set is 16" steelies with 205/55/16 winter tires, I find them perfect. If you're looking to go with a 17" option and allow me to suggest, I would get winters put on the 17" rims that are coming with the car and buy an 18" package for summer. You can get a set of VW/Audi replicas with decent all season or summer tires for around $1300 installed all taxes in. I got a set for my Audi from these guys and am very happy with overall experience. Got winters here too....

www.tiredomain.ca

Good luck and enjoy the new ride!!

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Atif, I'd be interested in knowing more about the rims you got. Looking to upgrade mine. I do like the Jetta ones as well though.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
Atif, I'd be interested in knowing more about the rims you got. Looking to upgrade mine. I do like the Jetta ones as well though.
I got these rim:

http://www.replika.ca/productinfo.aspx?wn=r134a&fn=gunmetal+with+matte+machined+face&dm=18

And these tires:

http://aeolustires.com/PLT/AU02.html

18x8.5 rims with 235/40/18 tires, paid $1200 all in out the door. It has been 3 months absolutely love the package. Replika rims are bolt on that is they don't need any adapters or fitting hardware like other aftermarket rims. My fuel consumptions has not changed at all. No issues to report, the A3 looks amazing.

I'm sure you can find a similar deal in the Ottawa area, do a search for replika.ca dealers. These Chinese tires are one of the best I've ever had. This company has been producing truck tires for over 30 years and is a popular brand in Asia/South and Southeast Asia. Came into north american market a few years ago and is doing very well. If you can't find a similar deal in Ottawa you can call Konstantin at www.tiredomain.ca, tell him I referred you'll get premium service, these guys are very knowledgeable when it comes to tires and rims etc.

Hope this helps,
Good luck