Valet key with push button starter?

Barracuda

TDI
Jetta SportWagen
I'm a new owner of a Jetta SportWagen with Nav, manual transmission. It has a push button starter and "convenience" unlocking -- i.e., there's no keyhole to stick a key in anywhere except the glove compartment.

The dealer gave me two keys that work everything via (radio?) signals, both of which retract to take up less room in pocket or purse. Plus one ordinary looking key he called a valet key. But the "valet key" doesn't fit in the glove compartment, and there's no other place to insert a key. So is this a completely useless key??

Thanks.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
As a Valet key, it should allow the car to be started and there will be a plastic plug in the drivers door that if removed, will allow you to use the key to unlock the car.

The Valet key will not fit the glove box or trunk, but that's the idea, it keeps people out of those places so if someone is just moving your car, they can't boost your stuff.

Read your owners manual......................

Last edited:

Barracuda

TDI
Jetta SportWagen
Yes, the door handle covers can come off to reveal a key slot. So I guess you could unlock the door with the valet key. But how does it start the engine? All I see is a push button starter?

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
I don't have push button start but do know that the VW valet keys have the IMMO RFID chip imbedded in the plastic portion of the key. This chip works by being in proximity to the IMMO control unit in the dash of the car. Perhaps on a push button start vehicle you simply need to have the valet key in the car close enough to the IMMO module to allow the car to start.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I don't know about the other vehicles, but the Passat's small plastic valet key ONLY locks the glove box. Inside the glove box is the switch to disable the trunk release. So, when you go to valet park, you press the trunk lock button in the glove box, lock the glove box with the key and take it with you, and hand the valet driver your regular key fob.

Can you please post a picture of your valet key?

If the above is different from the Golf/Jetta/Beetle, please forgive me and ignore my post. :)

ravendarat

TDI
2013 Wolfsburg Golf
If you take the valet key and hold the key head right up to the button on the dash and press the push button the car will start, after it starts you can pull the key away as VW only validates the key on start and not while the vehicle is actually running

CA2NCTDI

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG 2014 Sportwagon TDI DSG Pano/NAV
The valet key is completely useless. Even if you could unlock the car, (no way I'm going to pop off the door handle cover to find out) you can't start it without the key.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The valet key is completely useless. Even if you could unlock the car, (no way I'm going to pop off the door handle cover to find out) you can't start it without the key.
Did you read the post directly above yours? :confused:

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
As a Valet key, it should allow the car to be started and there will be a plastic plug in the drivers door that if removed, will allow you to use the key to unlock the car.

The Valet key will not fit the glove box or trunk, but that's the idea, it keeps people out of those places so if someone is just moving your car, they can't boost your stuff.

It's amazing what can be found between the covers of that lil book. :rolleyes:

CA2NCTDI

TDI

If you take the valet key and hold the key head right up to the button on the dash and press the push button the car will start, after it starts you can pull the key away as VW only validates the key on start and not while the vehicle is actually running
Did you read the post directly above yours?
Apparently I have the only keyless entry JSW that has a non-functioning valet key. I’m sure if I wanted to pull the plastic cover off the door handle I could use to key to open the door, but there is no way possible to start the car with the valet key. You can hold it up to the button all day long and it will still say the key is out of range. On the other hand the valet key doesn't work in the glove box so it does have that going for it.

VeeDubTDI

TDI

Apparently I have the only keyless entry JSW that has a non-functioning valet key. I’m sure if I wanted to pull the plastic cover off the door handle I could use to key to open the door, but there is no way possible to start the car with the valet key. You can hold it up to the button all day long and it will still say the key is out of range. On the other hand the valet key doesn't work in the glove box so it does have that going for it.
Sounds like you need to have that looked at by the dealer!

Spyke

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline DSG
When you say Valet key, what key are you referring to?

When you bought the car, you should have received 2 regular keys (remote to lock, unlock the doors, open the trunk and the alarm and maybe car starter).

With theses keys, you should have received 2 plastic keys (called valet keys but you don't give them to the valet guy).

Those 2 plastics keys ONLY lock and unlock the glove box compartment. That's it. Those are the valet keys.

You can't lock or unlock doors or start the car with it.

Its all in the owner's manual.

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
The valet key is useless!
KESSY is weird as hell too. Sometimes I'm recognized ... Other times, got to press the unlock button. Supposedly when you have a low battery in your fob you can hold it up near the push button... That's it.
Overall it's a neat system but the valet key was overlooked when implementing.

EDIT due to Barracudas findings...
Hmmm, Going to try my valet key again!

Last edited:

Barracuda

TDI
Jetta SportWagen
Okay, I'm an idiot after all. I started this thread and as some have suggested, I can actually start the car with the valet key, even though it's a push-button start. I put the key right next to the push button, push, and the car starts.

So, thanks to those who mentioned that.

Which leads to the next question: Would I really want to take the plastic cover off so that I could give the key to, e.g., a parking garage attendant and he couldn't unlock the glove compartment? Or, more generally: it obviously looks better with the plastic cover on, but is there any other drawback to taking the plastic cover off?

And a further question: One of my concerns about the regulat key is that if I go kayaking, I need to take car not to let it get wet so as not to mess up its functioning. Do I need to worry about that with the valet key too?

Barracuda

VeeDubTDI

TDI
When you say Valet key, what key are you referring to?

When you bought the car, you should have received 2 regular keys (remote to lock, unlock the doors, open the trunk and the alarm and maybe car starter).

With theses keys, you should have received 2 plastic keys (called valet keys but you don't give them to the valet guy).

Those 2 plastics keys ONLY lock and unlock the glove box compartment. That's it. Those are the valet keys.

You can't lock or unlock doors or start the car with it.

Its all in the owner's manual.
That is Passat-only.

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
I would think its is fairly water proof. The covers come off by way of a slot on the underside that fits to your key. Just pop it off and put it in the console somewhere...

kalobg

TDI
2013 JSW
I believe the manual says to hold the key underneath the steering column. Mid-way between wheel and the dash. At least that's how you're supposed to use the keyfob if the battery is dead. The radio antenna is at that point of the steering column so the closer to the antenna the stronger the field will be to power the valet key. If it still doesn't work at that location, I would guess the computer has decided to no longer recognize the key and it needs to be re-programmed by the dealer.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I believe the manual says to hold the key underneath the steering column. Mid-way between wheel and the dash. At least that's how you're supposed to use the keyfob if the battery is dead. The radio antenna is at that point of the steering column so the closer to the antenna the stronger the field will be to power the valet key. If it still doesn't work at that location, I would guess the computer has decided to no longer recognize the key and it needs to be re-programmed by the dealer.
That is my understanding, as well. There should have been a sticker on the steering column when the car was new, with instructions on how to start the car in an emergency (KESSY not working).

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/b7/tdi/vw-passat-kessy.jpg

Last edited:

CA2NCTDI

TDI
Okay, I'm an idiot after all. I started this thread and as some have suggested, I can actually start the car with the valet key, even though it's a push-button start. I put the key right next to the push button, push, and the car starts.

So, thanks to those who mentioned that.

Which leads to the next question: Would I really want to take the plastic cover off so that I could give the key to, e.g., a parking garage attendant and he couldn't unlock the glove compartment? Or, more generally: it obviously looks better with the plastic cover on, but is there any other drawback to taking the plastic cover off?

And a further question: One of my concerns about the regulat key is that if I go kayaking, I need to take car not to let it get wet so as not to mess up its functioning. Do I need to worry about that with the valet key too?

Barracuda
I tried holding the valet key against the button as you suggested and after a couple of tries it did start the car. Thanks.

As for removing the plastic cap. From what I know about plastic the best it's going to fit is the first time it is installed. I wouldn't remove it unless you don't have any other choice.

I'm going in for the first oil change in 1000miles and I will talk to them about the valet key.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The plastic cover comes off easily and goes back on just as easily. Be careful not to scratch the paint when removing it (there's a tab on the bottom side where you can insert the tip of the key to pry it off). It also helps to pull the handle out a little bit when removing the cover.

Try holding the valet key up against the steering column as shown in the pic in my previous post.