Vagcom Source for 96 B4V

ssnick

TDI
97 Passat
I'm having trouble figuring out how to get a Vagcom setup for my 96 B4V. The cables are discontinued at the Ross-Tech site. Can I buy a cable from another source and buy the software from Ross-Tech? If so, what is a recommended source for the cable?

Also, it appears that the Vagcom locater map has been shut down as of 10/31. Is there another way to find find someone local? I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and need to check my timing.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The B4V was not a technological marvel. You need the VCDS Lite 1.2 software from Ross-Tech. It works with any basic OBD-II cable.
Back in the early days, some of us actually built our own dumb cables and the early versions of VAG-COM (as it was known back then) worked great.

Almost1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Sedan
The current version of the cable is compatible with the 96. I just bought the HEX-NET for my fleet

ssnick

TDI
97 Passat
Got it, thanks! I found the compatible cable from Ross Tech for $199 and the VCDS lite software. I ordered a VW compatible ODB2 cable and am going to give VCDS lite a try. I saw that people sometimes have trouble with the drivers for the cable. I'm running a 2013 version of Windows 8.1. Anyone have a link to a driver that you'd recommend? This is the cable I ordered:

Thanks!