vagcom in St Louis, MO, area?

mcolmsted

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
Is there anyone in the greater StL, MO, area with a vag-com that would be willing to check a CEL for me? I'm scheduled to take it into the dealer next Tuesday anyway, but I'd love to know what it is BEFORE I take it in. The car will go in regardless--the seat heater they replaced isn't working and I need a 70K service, which I can do most of but not all. I'm willing to drive within a hour of StL for the vag-com look if there's anyone somewhat close. Thanks!

Courtney

mcolmsted

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
We live in Benton Park West, but I work up by the airport and hubby's in the Central West End, and we'll be driving to Chesterfield tonight. Good thing we have a diesel!
Point being, anywhere in the greater StL area is fine with us. We can come to whomever or whatever is easiest.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I am in Union, about 45 miles SW of STL, past Six Flags. I drive to Creve Couer every day for work.

mcolmsted

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
Thanks, all. We ended up taking it to the dealer Sunday night to drop it off for the Tuesday appt. They got to it today and--surprise!
--the CEL is for the glow plugs. Glow plugs 1 and 4 are out, the harness and relay are fine. Of course they're not covered by our extended warranty...
I'd like to replace them myself but I need to check the DIY sections on here and make sure it's something I can tackle.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Make a mental note to yourself that both oilhammer and KCTDI are excellant resources for maintainance procedures that might be beyond your capability.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
Make a mental note to yourself that both oilhammer and KCTDI are excellant resources for maintainance procedures that might be beyond your capability.
You can't go wrong with either of them.
and if need be I can drop in about weekly, though here as of late it has been about monthly.

oilhammer

TDI
Just don't overtorque them! Been going round and round with a local dealer here after one of their guys broke a plug off in a head overtightening it, then it went downhill from there after they pulled the head off... $6000 in parts later and it still won't run right
They don't even know which headgasket the engine had nor how they ended up with the one they got (VW diesels have different thickness headgaskets depending on the piston potrusion from the block...too thick of gasket and low compression: poor output).

Nothing like a Volkswagen dealer's service manager calling a Lexus technician for help

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Nothing like a Volkswagen dealer's service manager calling a Lexus technician for help
Now that's FUNNY. Bet they didn't know what they were loosing when you jumped ship, eh?

-J

oilhammer

TDI
Now that's FUNNY. Bet they didn't know what they were loosing when you jumped ship, eh?

-J
They do now!
Unfortunately it is the customer that loses, and in the process gives Volkswagen a black eye. That REALLY ticks me off!
Car comes in for a simple MIL and a glowplug fault code at 85k miles...and now it has been totally molested and screwed up so bad it runs like crap.
Poor little Jetta...